Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

429 posts, read 953,910 times

Advertisements

Oldhag1, respectfully speaking, attacking other posters will only get the thread shut down. The OP may not appreciate it as she is really asking for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
But chances are you have taken that dog to a vet who has identified the breed mix for you and put it in your dog's records. As the owner of a very, very sweet pitbull mix, trust me, they tell you. If you know your dog is a mix of what is considered a dangerous dog, and most owners do, lying about it is wrong, especially if you are asked. I love my dog enough to not disavow him.
Actually, the vet I took her to told me she was a boxer mix; although my own vet did not.
So, like it has been said, it's not an exact science.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,179,802 times
Dog breed discrimination or not, if the insurance specifies a breed and someone gets hurt, you could be in for a long court case. It may be YOU who ends up having to proof the insurance clause doesn't cover you. If you can get the clause declared illegal, good for you. Just be prepared if you lie.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You are not lying to protect your dog; you are lying to protect yourself or obtain some benefit YOU want. The dog doesn't care if he lives in apartment complex A or apartment complex B; in the swankest part of town or the shady side of town. Your dog doesn't care how much you pay for where you live. That dog would happily live on the street as long as he lives with you. So quit kidding yourself.

Like I said, Oldhag, I own my house. And like I said, I would not own a pit bull if I was a renter.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM

429 posts, read 953,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystsyde View Post
Looking for an apartment or townhome rental. Almost every place has breed restrictions. We have a doberman puppy with our 4 boys. Moving there in 2 weeks I'm scared we will have a hard time finding a place to live. He will get good canine citizenship. He is non aggressive. Loves people. Any help out there?

Aaaaanyway, BACK ON TOPIC...

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. We found a landlord willing to rent to us with my zoo, but it's not the nicest house out there. Still, it was well worth it to keep the furry kids with the bald ones, lol! The rentals are out there! Good luck!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM

53 posts, read 85,467 times
We have a red doberman with cropped ears. Hard to lie. If I didn't crop he could have passed as somekind of hound or lab. I'm not one to lie, but he is a non aggressive 5 month old puppy. I have 4 boys 4 - 13 years old. If he does bite it's because there is an intruder in my home, protecting the family. I've been on realtor.com and craigslist and will be inquiring soon. I have statefarm renters insurance (at least in NV) and we are medical professionals. We wanted a Dobie, because it is one of the best family dogs. Loyal and protective. we love him and will not give him up.

Our budget is less than $1600, but can afford $1800 if we really needed to. The cheaper the better, because we are saving to buy. Anywhere close to Centreville, where my wife's employment is at. My prospective jobs are at Kaiser and Inova hospitals.

Is anyone on here a realtor or homeowner willing to help us? The last 2 homes I rented, I left it clean. We are a respectful Christian, American born, english only speaking, Asian (Filipino) family that loves everyone.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Quote:
We have a red doberman with cropped ears. Hard to lie. If I didn't crop he could have passed as somekind of hound or lab. I'm not one to lie, but he is a non aggressive 5 month old puppy. I have 4 boys 4 - 13 years old. If he does bite it's because there is an intruder in my home, protecting the family. I've been on realtor.com and craigslist and will be inquiring soon. I have statefarm renters insurance (at least in NV) and we are medical professionals. We wanted a Dobie, because it is one of the best family dogs. Loyal and protective. we love him and will not give him up.

Our budget is less than $1600, but can afford $1800 if we really needed to. The cheaper the better, because we are saving to buy. Anywhere close to Centreville, where my wife's employment is at. My prospective jobs are at Kaiser and Inova hospitals.

Is anyone on here a realtor or homeowner willing to help us? The last 2 homes I rented, I left it clean. We are a respectful Christian, American born, english only speaking, Asian (Filipino) family that loves everyone.
3 bedrooms plus a dog for under $1600? Not sure that is possible in this area unless you go really far out.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
We have a red doberman with cropped ears. Hard to lie. If I didn't crop he could have passed as somekind of hound or lab. I'm not one to lie, but he is a non aggressive 5 month old puppy. I have 4 boys 4 - 13 years old. If he does bite it's because there is an intruder in my home, protecting the family. .
It's generally not a good idea to buy dogs for personal protection, beyond just barking to alert you of something. A dog who will bite an intruder will bite someone else, like one of your childrens' friends who wanders into the house or acts in a way the dog doesn't approve of. You should have done like most everyone else around here and gotten the kids a golden retriever.

There does seem to be a socio-economic class component to breed choices. I never see these "dangerous" breeds at the dog park in Old Town unless you consider Australian sheepdogs or border collies dangerous .

Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's generally not a good idea to buy dogs for personal protection, beyond just barking to alert you of something. A dog who will bite an intruder will bite someone else, like one of your childrens' friends who wanders into the house or acts in a way the dog doesn't approve of. You should have done like most everyone else around here and gotten the kids a golden retriever.

There does seem to be a socio-economic class component to breed choices. I never see these "dangerous" breeds at the dog park in Old Town unless you consider Australian sheepdogs or border collies dangerous .

My inlaws owned Dobermans my husband's entire life. Both my MIL and my FIL were college-graduates. FIL was actually a Coast Guard Academy Graduate and retired from the CG as a Captain after about 30 years of service.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:19 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post

My inlaws owned Dobermans my husband's entire life. Both my MIL and my FIL were college-graduates. FIL was actually a Coast Guard Academy Graduate and retired from the CG as a Captain after about 30 years of service.
And I'm sure there are a few "nice girls" from good families with lower back tatoos too. I just don't happen to know any. I live in an area of Fairfax County that has no breed restrictions as far as I know in a neighborhood with quite a few military families (granted they're mostly officers at the Pentagon) and none of them have dogs like that (or daughters with lower back tatoos).

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-06-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia