U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,221,119 times
Default Best place to buy KOBE beef ---- in Virginia -----

Does anyone know where one might be able to buy premium Kobe beef?
i've heard that regardless of what you buy here in the US, it'll be nothing like the real deal in Japan, but i guess one can try to get as close to it as possible......

any ideas as far as where to purchase some authentic Kobe beef here in Northern VA?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,010,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Does anyone know where one might be able to buy premium Kobe beef?
Japan.

== "...Despite many American beef products being labeled Kobe, authentic Japanese
== Kobe beef is not available for sale anywhere outside Japan, with the solitary
== exception of Macau..."

Kobe beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

============

This Google search returns some results, quality unknown: http://www.google.com/search?q=virginia+Wagyu

Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,091,296 times
You certainly won't find any legitimate Kobe beef in the US as stated by the post above.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 PM

3,789 posts, read 3,302,150 times
Forbes ran this excellent three-part series on "Kobe" beef and how you can't buy it in the US, at any price.
...Despite the fact that Kobe Beef, as well as Kobe Meat and Kobe Cattle, are patented terms and/or trademarks in Japan, these are neither recognized nor protected by U.S. law. As far as regulators here are concerned, Kobe beef, unlike say Florida Orange Juice, means almost nothing (the “beef” part should still come from cows). Like the recent surge in the use of the unregulated label term “natural,” it is an adjective used mainly to confuse consumers and profit from that confusion....

In Japan, to be Kobe requires a pure lineage of Tajima-gyu breed cattle (not any old Japanese breed crossbred with American cattle as is the norm here). The animal must also have been born in Hyogo prefecture and thus raised on the local grasses and water and terroir its entire life. It must be a bull or virgin cow, and it takes considerably longer to raise a Tajima-gyu for consumption than most other breeds, adding to the cost. It must be processed in a Hyogo slaughterhouse – none of which export to the US – and then pass a strict government grading exam. There are only 3000 head of certified Kobe Beef cattle in the world, and none are outside Japan.

And here's the author's summary of the main points in his three-part series.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-21-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM

19,178 posts, read 18,931,372 times
It's as easy as 1-2-3...

1. Become a country.
2. Open diplomatic relations with Japan.
3. Have your amabassador there send you some.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,674,751 times
You can get locally-raised Wagyu beef from Dominion Star Natural Foods.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
You can get locally-raised Wagyu beef from Dominion Star Natural Foods.
I'm actually glad someone posted a place for the OP to buy some fancy beef! For the record, I never meant he shouldn't buy something labeled "Wagyu." If he's OK with the price and likes the taste, go for it. He should just be aware the term means absolutely nothing:
[indent]The website of the AWA clearly says the term Wagyu includes everything from Angus to Holstein cows, but proposes that the selective breeding of “American Wagyu” – it pains me just to type those words – began with the importation of Tottori Black and Kumamoto Red bulls. Now these actually happen to be two very high quality breeds that in some cases produce beef that in Japan is considered superior to Kobe. But even if all producers were honest and stuck to these bloodlines, American Kobe would be questionable since the red breed is specifically banned in the production of real Kobe beef. But these bloodlines are not pure, because they have intentionally been crossbred with our cows to produce something that often has only a minority of Japanese breed heredity – yet they still call the result Wagyu.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Tone509; 06-23-2012 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Limiting to brief quotes minimizes copyright issues

Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,221,119 times
thanks guys....i knew that i wouldn't be able to buy authentic Kobe been outside Japan....although i certainly didn't know why.....so thank you Carlingtonian and others for explaining!
I did want to get as close to Kobe as possible without "becoming a country" and going through the hassles of dealing with my ambassador in getting the beef :-)

Now that we've established i can't get what i really want without making a trip to Japan, the question i guess is whether the Wagyu is worth the money.

thoughts?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
thanks guys....i knew that i wouldn't be able to buy authentic Kobe been outside Japan....although i certainly didn't know why.....so thank you Carlingtonian and others for explaining!
I did want to get as close to Kobe as possible without "becoming a country" and going through the hassles of dealing with my ambassador in getting the beef :-)

Now that we've established i can't get what i really want without making a trip to Japan, the question i guess is whether the Wagyu is worth the money.

thoughts?
Happy to weigh in!

It's worth the money if the taste is worth it to you. For me, it wouldn't be. I once had a so-called "Wagyu" burger somewhere, and it was a good burger but nothing out of the ordinary--which isn't surprising.

I wonder if it would make sense for you to go to places like Dominion Star (recommended above), or maybe Dean/Deluca, Whole Foods, or Wegman's, and ask for specific breeds of Japanese beef (raised here, since importation of Japanese beef is banned). Or just ask for heavily marbled beef, since that seems to be a significant aspect of what makes real Kobe beef distinctive.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-21-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,010,307 times
I would bet - without any knowledge of it whatsoever - that real Kobe beef is served fresh, not aged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia