U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 PM

47 posts, read 77,595 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the area for my husband's job, which will be in Sterling. From what we've read/heard Sterling isn't necessarily the most desirable area in NOVA to live. So, we're considering a few places in Leesburg and Middleburg. Leesburg seems like a pretty easy commute, but Middleburg might be more of a challenge. We're mostly interested in Middleburg for the small town, dog friendly, laid back atmosphere -- but I'm concerned about the daily work commute for my husband.

Anyone make a that drive or similar on a regular basis? Are the roads (US-50) maintained well in the winter? Any advice/input is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by lisag81; 06-23-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 PM

144 posts, read 295,046 times
I don't think Sterling is an undesirable place to live... I lived there for years and owned a condo there. Its just like any place that has not so great neighborhoods than others... its a nice area and has a very nice towne center there (Dulles Towne Center), good shopping and restaurants. Also Ashburn and Herndon are quite nice places as well which are closer to Sterling than Leesburg or Middleburg.

The main roads are pretty well maintained in the winter... some back roads and neighborhood roads don't get treated as well. But our winters have been pretty mild the last few years. Our traffic isn't great as lots of people have to live far out to be able to afford to live here and commute into the bigger cities. I am not familiar with the commute from Middleburg but I did commute from Leesburg to Chantilly on a daily basis for a while and it wasn't terrible. I work 7:30 to 3:30 though so I can usually beat the traffic. I believe it took me about 40-50 minutes to get from Leesburg to Chantilly.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks Amy - definitely something to consider. I think we considered those two places first just because we visited and liked it. We didn't spend much time in Ashburn, just drove through - but we'd definitely look there too. I don't know much about Herndon, so I'll be looking that up tonight. Thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,982,096 times
Unless you're specifically looking for a more rural feel, Middleburg is pretty far away. Even cutting from 50 to 28 via 606 is a long commute and would become a grind. Leesburg would be a little better - a lot better once they get some of these interchanges along 7 finished, but that will still be many more years, as many haven't even yet begun.

There are plenty of decent parts of Sterling to live - that's like saying "I wouldn't live in D.C. - it has bad crime."

Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times
I moved from Sterling to Middleburg; but it had nothing to do with Sterling not being a nice place to live. From my old house (near Dranseville and Rt 7) to my new house in the village, it takes me 40 minutes, with no traffic. Since that is the very far side of Sterling, and assuming your husband's job is closer, I would say it might take 40-45 minutes to get to work in the morning. It takes me 45 minutes to get to Reston, 1 hour to get to Tysons, and 1.5 hours to get to NW DC in the normal morning commute, but I leave the house at 6:30 am. Personally, I feel this is a better commute than my old commute from Sterling (at least it's prettier.)

As for the roads, you will find Rt 50 very well maintained. Unless you live directly on Rt 50, you will find other roads take a while to get plowed.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
To be honest, I'd live in Sterling. Traffic is bad, it really will give you a better quality of life to live closer to work.

Sterling is a huge area. It's a little confusing, but basically, Sterling is a name given to a group of unincorporated communities, some of which are quite far from each other, and each of which have different personalities. What they have in common is they are in eastern Loudoun County and are unincorporated. The more upscale communities are north of Rt. 7. Sometimes people say Sterling when what they really mean is Sterling Park, which is the low income community in the area, but the two are not interchangeable.

This is Lowes Islands, which is in Cascades, which is a very nice community in the northern part of Sterling that I like to recommend:

Lowes Island (lots and lots of photos)

Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM

968 posts, read 1,440,559 times
I just moved to Sterling three months go, and I LOVE it. Just like anywhere else, there are good areas and bas areas. I live in Sugarland, and I love that it has paved community walking trails, pretty good public school district, lots of parks and playgrounds and such, and super close to Dulles Town Center and lots of other stores and resatuarants.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Is anyone familiar with Providence Village neighborhood? Would that be considered a decent part of Sterling? Looks like it's near an Elementary School, so I would assume it's relatively quiet and safe. But without having been to the area yet I'm not sure.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisag81 View Post
Is anyone familiar with Providence Village neighborhood? Would that be considered a decent part of Sterling? Looks like it's near an Elementary School, so I would assume it's relatively quiet and safe. But without having been to the area yet I'm not sure.
That address is in Sterling Park, and it's very close to the DMV. As luck would have it, you just happened to pick perhaps the least attractive neighborhood in Sterling Park. We generally warn readers to be careful in the area within a few blocks of that DMV. It has some petty crime (fights, graffiti, car break ins, that sort of thing), and I wouldn't feel safe walking far outside after 8-9 at night. It also tends to have more foreclosures than other parts of Sterling--not a lot compared to other major cities (not even remotely as much as many other cities), but a lot for northern Virginia.

It's not a bad area, per se, but definitely you'll want a little street smarts there. OTOH, we happen to have some photos of that complex, and the woman who took them is a senior citizen who felt safe walking around that neighborhood taking photos. As you can see, it's not that bad... it's kind of pretty, in a low income sort of way. It's true that even that the worst section in Sterling isn't as bad as some neighborhoods in other cities that would be considered nice. It's not like there are iron bars on the windows, or anything like that. Residents obviously feel safe enough to leave planters in the yard and ride bikes around town (during the day, at least). They feel safe parking nice cars out front, and the cars don't seem to be vandalized.

Having said that.... to be honest, I'd look elsewhere. Just about any other part of Sterling would be more pleasant. Why put up with petty crime when you can live in an area with next to no crime? Look north of Rt. 7 for the best areas (although there are also plenty of nice neighborhoods south of 7).

Providence Village & nearby street:

Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 AM

968 posts, read 1,440,559 times
I agree with the suggestion to stay north of rt. 7 if you can (if you decide to look in Sterling). Not that you'll get shot if you're south of rt. 7 or anything, but the neighborhoods north of rt. 7 seem more consistently nice (Sugarland, Cascades, etc.). Of course, I live north of rt. 7, so I may be a bit biased, but we did avoid Sterling Park when we were doing our home search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia