U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,803,107 times

Advertisements

From what you are saying, I would be more likely to lean toward Frederick. I don't know what the market is like there currently, but you definitely would have more entertainment options in the downtown areas and probably could buy a decent house walking distance. Or maybe someplace like Leesburg?

My neighborhood has all 3 schools walking distance, plus several parks, the library and a good sized shopping center. It isn't the level of entertainment that I feel you are describing, but it is plenty for us. We don't have to go much further than 2 miles for most stuff we need in life. We are perfectly happy with the chain restaurants that are nearby - plus a couple of the locally owned sub and pizza places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,647,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The OP didn't say the neighborhood had to be "affluent".
No but OP said this "in a safe, area with educated/professional neighbors." I don't know exactly what was meant by being surrounded by educated professionals, but sounds affluent

Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM

plenty of educated professionals in middle class neighborhoods, as well. Not everyone with a college degree (or several) makes the big bucks.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
plenty of educated professionals in middle class neighborhoods, as well. Not everyone with a college degree (or several) makes the big bucks.
Look I was just offering the OP my thoughts based on her neighborhood specifications. The fact he/she bothered to mention that they wanted to be around educated professionals made it seem like she wanted an affluent neighborhod. If that is not the case he/she can disregard my post. Obviously you can find educated people in practically every neighborhood in NOVA, it would be silly to even debate that.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Also I took OP's comment of wanting educated professional neighbors to mean she would not exactly be keen on her neighbor having a giant contractor van sitting out front, or something of that nature. If she wants to have the best chance of avoiding those type of things then she very well may have to look at affluent neighborhoods. It wasn't a knock on middle class neighborhoods or working class people by the way.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 31,614 times
i would consider certain parts of prince william county (gainesville, bristow) and loudon county where for 400k the single families are spacious and of newer construction.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,984,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite777
i would consider certain parts of prince william county (gainesville, bristow) and loudon county where for 400k the single families are spacious and of newer construction.
You are going to have a hard time finding a spacious, new construction, SFH in Loudoun for only 400K.

You can get spacious new TH's for around that price, but not SFH.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
You are going to have a hard time finding a spacious, new construction, SFH in Loudoun for only 400K.

You can get spacious new TH's for around that price, but not SFH.
you're thinking ashburn/brambleton and south riding. I think if you go to purcellville and west, there is more in that price range.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM

857 posts, read 1,001,498 times
OP--If the job is home based, I'd definitely consider another area of VA than Northern Virginia. What about Richmond? The Far West End of Henrico County is much nicer than many parts of Northern Virginia IMO. There's also Midlothian on the southside of Richmond that has very nice homes, too. Both are educated, rather affluent areas with nice schools. To get the same feel here, you'd have to move farther out, but would not have access to the same caliber of schools, shopping, restaurants, and most notably, charm

Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,643,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
OP--If the job is home based, I'd definitely consider another area of VA than Northern Virginia. What about Richmond? The Far West End of Henrico County is much nicer than many parts of Northern Virginia IMO. There's also Midlothian on the southside of Richmond that has very nice homes, too. Both are educated, rather affluent areas with nice schools. To get the same feel here, you'd have to move farther out, but would not have access to the same caliber of schools, shopping, restaurants, and most notably, charm
Yes Richmond! Don't worry their crime has been under control for atleast 5 months now, and their schools are now funded!

If you want good schools, safe areas, affluent neighbors, Nova is where you wanna stay. If you want to live in an area headed the wrong way (again), then Richmond is right for you! Tons of Charm in Henrico. Nothing charming about Leesburg or Falls Church or Belmont or nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or