U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM
 
857 posts, read 1,000,682 times
Reputation: 541

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Yes Richmond! Don't worry their crime has been under control for atleast 5 months now, and their schools are now funded!

If you want good schools, safe areas, affluent neighbors, Nova is where you wanna stay. If you want to live in an area headed the wrong way (again), then Richmond is right for you!



clearly someone (@tysonsengineer) doesn't know what they're talking about RE: Richmond and the areas of Short Pump, the far west end of Henrico County, and Midlothian, Virginia.

Do you consider the murder/robbery/AIDS rates in DC when you talk about Northern Virginia? Those are, far worse than Richmond....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
Reputation: 471
here's a new home community in Lovettsville for under $400K.

Lovettsville Town Center in Lovettsville VA by Ryan Homes - New Homes Guide

I also saw one in Round Hill.

I know nothing about the local schools, but those are new homes in Loudoun for the under $400K mark, but they are fairly remote and removed from the rest of the region. However, with your work situation and budget, I would consider it. Those areas are really lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 2,982,096 times
Reputation: 1270
OK, yeah if you want to go out to Round Hill and Lovettsville - I guess I just don't consider those part of "Northern Virginia" at that point, but if the OP's fine going out that far, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
Reputation: 471
right - it is almost WV at that point. I think most people consider either Ashburn or Leesburg the furthest reaches of NoVA. But there is still Western Loudoun if you're including the whole county.

Surprisingly, many of the new homes in Lovettsville have tiny yards.

A further definition of good sized yard might come in handy, OP. Would a quarter-acre yard suffice? Or do you want more than that? And how big a house do you really want/need? Would a smaller, older home in Fairfax work, or would you prefer the newer communities of PWC or Loudoun?

I hope our posts have been helpful thus far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Reputation: 32116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Yes Richmond! Don't worry their crime has been under control for atleast 5 months now, and their schools are now funded!

If you want good schools, safe areas, affluent neighbors, Nova is where you wanna stay. If you want to live in an area headed the wrong way (again), then Richmond is right for you! Tons of Charm in Henrico. Nothing charming about Leesburg or Falls Church or Belmont or nothing.
Really?

Richmond and vicinity have good areas that are just as nice as anything in NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Reputation: 1495
D.C. Washington 601,723(population) 1,241(Violent crimes)

2010
Richmond (City of 204,000) Crime Index 422.2

DC (City of 600,000) Crime Index 556

However

2004
Richmond Crime Index 784

DC Crime Index 621

Also

2010
Henrico Co. (population 296,000 btw, which encompasses Richmond) So while your assertion is that Henrico is to Richmond, as Nova is to DC is bunk.

Fairfax has a population of 1 million, to DCs 600,000. Additionally Nova has completely different dynamics than DC. Richmond is in Henrico, and shares much of its population and characteristics as far as crime/economy.

Crime statistics for Henrico County Police Department Virginia USA in 2010:

Henrico 2010 (300,000)
Violent crime: 498

Fairfax 2010 (1 million residents)
Violent crime: 953

Equalized
Henrico 2010 would be
Violent Crime: 1660

I didnt realize charming meant stabby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Reputation: 32116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
D.C. Washington 601,723(population) 1,241(Violent crimes)

2010
Richmond (City of 204,000) Crime Index 422.2

DC (City of 600,000) Crime Index 556

However

2004
Richmond Crime Index 784

DC Crime Index 621

Also

2010
Henrico Co. (population 296,000 btw, which encompasses Richmond) So while your assertion is that Henrico is to Richmond, as Nova is to DC is bunk.

Fairfax has a population of 1 million, to DCs 600,000. Additionally Nova has completely different dynamics than DC. Richmond is in Henrico, and shares much of its population and characteristics as far as crime/economy.

Crime statistics for Henrico County Police Department Virginia USA in 2010:

Henrico 2010 (300,000)
Violent crime: 498

Fairfax 2010 (1 million residents)
Violent crime: 953

Equalized
Henrico 2010 would be
Violent Crime: 1660

I didnt realize charming meant stabby
No one said you had to live in Henrico County.

How about Chesterfield County (more affluent then Henrico), if you dislike Henrico so much? Many like it as a suburb to Richmond.

Chesterfield County, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not buying that there are NO places in the Richmond that aren't as nice as NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM
 
857 posts, read 1,000,682 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
D.C. Washington 601,723(population) 1,241(Violent crimes)

2010
Richmond (City of 204,000) Crime Index 422.2

DC (City of 600,000) Crime Index 556

However

2004
Richmond Crime Index 784

DC Crime Index 621

Also

2010
Henrico Co. (population 296,000 btw, which encompasses Richmond) So while your assertion is that Henrico is to Richmond, as Nova is to DC is bunk.

Fairfax has a population of 1 million, to DCs 600,000. Additionally Nova has completely different dynamics than DC. Richmond is in Henrico, and shares much of its population and characteristics as far as crime/economy.

Crime statistics for Henrico County Police Department Virginia USA in 2010:

Henrico 2010 (300,000)
Violent crime: 498

Fairfax 2010 (1 million residents)
Violent crime: 953

Equalized
Henrico 2010 would be
Violent Crime: 1660

I didnt realize charming meant stabby

LOL I don't know why you have such an axe to grind with Richmond. You do realize that Richmond is a separate city with its own characteristics, employment, economic stats, etc. ? So saying that "Richmond is in Henrico" is much the same as saying Alexandria is in Fairfax. Or the Route 1 corridor is the same as Old Town Alexandria. So yeah, there are *gasp* affluent areas in Richmond! whodathunkit?!!! Not sure OP was even all about affluent areas, but just a house on a decent lot with good schools for $400k....which can be had in the areas of Richmond I mentioned.

Again, for the OP, since commuting is not an issue, far west end of Henrico or Midlothian would likely be my picks if I were considering a move. I'd also consider Charlottesville (gorgeous scenery), or Yorktown. If you're set on NoVA, Loudoun County of Prince William Co. would likely get you what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Reputation: 32116
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
LOL I don't know why you have such an axe to grind with Richmond. You do realize that Richmond is a separate city with its own characteristics, employment, economic stats, etc. ? So saying that "Richmond is in Henrico" is much the same as saying Alexandria is in Fairfax. Or the Route 1 corridor is the same as Old Town Alexandria. So yeah, there are *gasp* affluent areas in Richmond! whodathunkit?!!! Not sure OP was even all about affluent areas, but just a house on a decent lot with good schools for $400k....which can be had in the areas of Richmond I mentioned.

Again, for the OP, since commuting is not an issue, far west end of Henrico or Midlothian would likely be my picks if I were considering a move. I'd also consider Charlottesville (gorgeous scenery), or Yorktown. If you're set on NoVA, Loudoun County of Prince William Co. would likely get you what you're looking for.
With the Yorktown suggestion, I'd throw in the city of Chesapeake as well. I think it is arguably one of the most underrated places on the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Reputation: 1495
I dunno why I have an axe to grind with Richmond, maybe because they use politics to enslave us even though our tax dollars make this state work. If Richmond were so great why cant they sustain their own economy, and stop reverse carpetbagging us and terkin er jerbs.

I've been to Richmond, I've been to Loudoun. I have my differences with Loudoun, but atleast it is beautiful and is a net winner in the job/economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top