U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM

815 posts, read 1,110,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Just to let you know - the reason police officers often tail for a little while before they pull someone over (or drive away), is to run their tags. They often randomly select tags to read or of cars that happen to be in front of them to ensure that the person driving (or registered to the car) isn't wanted, has a suspended licenses, or other things. They do it even when your speeding to ensure the person they are pulling over isn't a person who has been convicted previously for having weapons or something of that sort. They try to be as prepared as possible before they are pulling someone over.

So it is very possible the people they were pulling over werent being pulled over for speeding, they could have ran their tags and found out they were driving on suspended license, or had a warrant for their arrest, or whatever the plenty of other things that could have been places in the database about the registered driver of the car.

It is of course entirely possible that what you (and spencgr in an earlier post) are saying is correct for at least the first two incidents I mentioned, especially the first one where the ticketed car was being paced for quite some distance. But for the incidents I mentioned on the FFX County Parkway and Soapstone Drive, I don't think the cars could have been pulled over for anything other than being a few MPH above the posted limit, since the police weren't positioned to be able to read their tags.

I guess I'm just wondering why the low-hanging fruit seem to get disproportionately plucked and more of an effort is not made against those drivers who engage in truly dangerous behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM

7,968 posts, read 9,725,007 times
Quote:
I dont think anyone ever said it was a law.... and if they did... whatever I'm not sure. But the point of the matter is it's a "common rule of the road" - meaning an understanding, and often taught to new drivers.

The point of this is to keep a consistent flow of vehicles as well as help with safety.

Just imagine this - we are on a three lane highway... joeshmo is in the right lane, he doesn't have to get off of the highway (or beltway) anytime soon, speed limit is 50, he's going a steady 48-53 mph. The folks to the left of him, a steady 54 - 58 mph. The folks in the far left lane, a steady 59 - 65 mph. constant flow - now Joeshmo comes up on someone going 48, and he wants to 53, so he hops in the left lane, passes that car, and gets back over and continues in the right lane going a steady 53.
Bob has been in the far left lane going 65, but his exit is coming up in the next mile, so he finds an opening (using his blinkers and checking his mirrors, as well as over his shoulder), and gets into the middle lane, slowing with the pace of 56 or so, then proceed to do the same thing into an opening in the right lane, and slows to a speed of 52 - - his exit is coming up in a couple hundred feet, that says 30MPH, so he gets in the DE-ACCELERATION lane, applies his breaks until he is at a comfortable speed to take the exit, but all lanes are still passing him. If there is little of a de-acceleration lane, or none at all for him... he has his blinker on, so people know he is exiting, and the pace in the right lane has to slow shortly as he exits, but then bumps back up.

Ideally speaking of course... it's just a known understand to help the above scenario occur. Although that would probably never happen around here generally speaking haha.
If I am on the Beltway, in the center lane, and I come up to the person in front of me, I will want to pass them. I will always "look left" first , and see if that is an option. But alas, there is a car in the left lane driving about the same speed. I now look right, and it is clear for about 10 car lengths. I move to the right hand lane, and end up passing three cars in the center lane, before moving myself back into the center lane. Now, assuming I wasn't speeding, I have done nothing wrong here.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM

460 posts, read 876,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
It is of course entirely possible that what you (and spencgr in an earlier post) are saying is correct for at least the first two incidents I mentioned, especially the first one where the ticketed car was being paced for quite some distance. But for the incidents I mentioned on the FFX County Parkway and Soapstone Drive, I don't think the cars could have been pulled over for anything other than being a few MPH above the posted limit, since the police weren't positioned to be able to read their tags.

I guess I'm just wondering why the low-hanging fruit seem to get disproportionately plucked and more of an effort is not made against those drivers who engage in truly dangerous behavior.
I guess it's case by case basis - there may have been something else going on in the vehicle they saw and deemed unsafe - such as women putting on makeup while driving... or on their cell phone text?

I don't know... There are a million possibilities, I just know I have never been pulled over for going anything under 10 miles over the speed limit.

Or someone could have been having a bad day and wanted to ruin someone elses lol.... but that by no means is the norm.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM

460 posts, read 876,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If I am on the Beltway, in the center lane, and I come up to the person in front of me, I will want to pass them. I will always "look left" first , and see if that is an option. But alas, there is a car in the left lane driving about the same speed. I now look right, and it is clear for about 10 car lengths. I move to the right hand lane, and end up passing three cars in the center lane, before moving myself back into the center lane. Now, assuming I wasn't speeding, I have done nothing wrong here.
Lol... exactly... I never ever said that was illegal or wrong to do that! I'm sure I have done that several times in my life.
I would just say the following:

1. The guy in the left lane is a d-bag
2. It's just a little less safe to pass in the right lane because most people (at their own fault not yours), are less likely to be expecting it, and often don't check as well before they switch lanes, AND those people who like to merge... but really suck at it, and don't know they need to speed up WITH traffic to merge haha.

Yeah.. I never said at any point it's illegal or anything like that... just be careful bc people probably aren't paying attention.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:22 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,660,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I agree with you if it's a busy interstate and the person in the left lane can't readily move out of the way and/or there are left-hand exits.

The GW Parkway isn't like that, though. Going north in the evening, traffic is light. Now as I said before, if someone has their left-turn signal on, then I understand completely that they have to slow down to make the turn from the left lane. My beef is with the person whose head is in the clouds, listing along in the left lane with few other cars in sight, no signal--just blocking that lane for no reason.

Also, if there is just ONE car to that person's right, they can easily pass that car so they can move into the right lane.

Re. the speed limit: I'm routinely passed when I go 60 in the 45 there. Even on the Beltway (speed limit 55), 70 seems to be average. Anything above 75 on the Beltway, though, and I agree that's getting into reckless territory.
I guess it depends where on the beltway you are. I see people on here(not you) routinely make outlandish statements like everyone drives 75 on the beltway, and if you're going any less people are blowing by you to try to justify excessive speeding. When traffic is actually moving I try to keep it around 65 but not over, and I'm usually passing more people than are passing me. There is the occasional crazy who is swerving in and out of traffic doing 75 or more but that is NOT normal no matter what people on here say. If that person rides my ass and I'm in the left lane but it's not easy or safe to get over because of other cars they'll just have to deal with it.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Lol... exactly... I never ever said that was illegal or wrong to do that! I'm sure I have done that several times in my life.
I would just say the following:

1. The guy in the left lane is a d-bag
2. It's just a little less safe to pass in the right lane because most people (at their own fault not yours), are less likely to be expecting it, and often don't check as well before they switch lanes, AND those people who like to merge... but really suck at it, and don't know they need to speed up WITH traffic to merge haha.

Yeah.. I never said at any point it's illegal or anything like that... just be careful bc people probably aren't paying attention.
I wasn't insinuating that you said it was illegal or wrong, but many posters (including the OP) seem to think it us.

and, yes, the guy in the left lane is definitely a d-bag.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 AM

437 posts, read 1,075,487 times
As to the OP's original situation with the speeder in the right lane - what did you expect? If I have to change lanes for some reason and there is a faster moving vehicle coming down that lane that I can't wait to let pass I know he'll be pissed. Not that he's right, but I expect him to be unhappy to be slowed down.

Generally if someone's racing down the road it's best to just get out of the way. I know that's not always possible, in that case they can just deal with being slowed up, I'm not going to worry about them. I always stay as far to the right as I can to maintain speed though. The people who lollygag in the passing lane are just as bad as the ones going 20 over in the right lane who're miffed when you get over to exit in front of them.

If you haven't figured out by now that A LOT of drivers either don't know the rules of driving, or choose to ignore them, you haven't been paying attention. I expect to see bad driving. I have to break the rules a lot when I'm driving myself (for work, I'm pretty mellow when I'm just commuting) - although I try to avoid it. So maybe that guy doing 20 over had a legit reason, and wasn't just late for dinner. In short, don't be surprised by bad driving and you'll be a lot less stressed when you see it.

Last edited by bornindc; 06-29-2012 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,104,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I'm going at the limit or maybe slightly above it (to keep up with traffic around me) in center lane. I change lanes b/c my exit is coming up. Some guy is barrelling down the right hand lane (going 20-30 above the limit) so fast that I can barely register him in my mirrors and honks at me for cutting him off. Come on, man!
Maybe he was an important person on important business. We have a lot of that around here so you need to be cognizant. Best not to slow down progress.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:55 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,834,777 times
I'm not condoning weaving through traffic, but even when I first moved here I immediately noticed that the beltway was more of a "free for all" where people passed in whatever lane was open. I think this has to do with the many left exits and merging from the left entrances that you don't see very often on major highways. As a result, slower cars are dispersed throughout all the lanes and isn't safe for someone who may be going a little slower to ride the right lane and then cut across all the lanes for their left exit, nor is it fair to expect someone to sit behind someone guying 55 in the left lane when the other lanes are open to pass in.

The issues (and a lot of the traffic) result from some people thinking that since they are going the speed limit they can be in whatever lane they want and don't have to move over for someone who is "speeding," while others going 15 over think they can duck and weave through everyone going slower (which often prevents those who want to move to a slower lane from doing so). Everyone assumes they are the best driver on the road and everyone else is worse than them when really both sides are at fault.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
so fast that I can barely register him in my mirrors and honks at me for cutting him off.
So, you barely looked before moving into the right-hand lane? If he's going that fast that he flew through your line of sight in a milli-second, why the heck did you move over? He honked because he probably almost ran into you. While he may have been speeding, you were the one that would have caused the accident. Thankfully there wasn't one.

As a driver, you should be aware of the road conditions, weather, and the speed and driving pattern of the nearest 20 cars to you; whether in front or back (and if the road is not divided, the cars going the opposite way.) You should know that the car three up from you is braking, and possibly start braking even before the car directly in front of you does. You should know the speed of the cars in front and behind you and factor this in when changing lanes. You should be able to see that a car (4 cars behind you) is swerving, and take action to move out of their way. Having this knowledge is easy to achieve, if you are confident and aware behind the wheel. If you are nervous, uncomfortable, or not confident driving, then you won't be focused on all that is going on. If you are unfocused, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car.

Last edited by spencgr; 06-29-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia