U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,839,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Now that they got rid of the 66-west left exit from the inner loop, the only other ones (for the western half of the beltway) are Dulles Toll Road (both directions), Mixing Bowl (not sure all the options - but at least 2), and the 270 "split" (agreed - not really an exit in the same sense the others are/were).
The Woodbridge exit off of 95 south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:03 AM

7,958 posts, read 9,695,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The Woodbridge exit off of 95 south.
Which is not the beltway

Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,839,926 times
No, but it's in Northern Virginia and the subject is "Gripe: Change lanes, guy is SPEEDING in rt. hand lane, honks at me!" Still a dumb left lane exit in Northern VA and officially a part of the DC metro rat race we all live in.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, there are certainly outlier cases that you cannot predict or prevent, and that may be what happened to the OP. But I am constantly cut off by people clanging lanes, and I may be only going 5 mph more than them.
Cutting you off in that situation is just plain rude. I agree with you there

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM

13,093 posts, read 19,923,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Now that they got rid of the 66-west left exit from the inner loop, the only other ones (for the western half of the beltway) are Dulles Toll Road (both directions), Mixing Bowl (not sure all the options - but at least 2), and the 270 "split" (agreed - not really an exit in the same sense the others are/were).
There's the exit on to 267 towards 66 east from the Outer Loop, which is the only left exit on the entire Beltway. However, I see that you're including 66, and others are including other highways. I was only referring to the Beltway, but I guess the thread is about any highway in NoVa.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM

13,093 posts, read 19,923,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Splits can have the same impact. For example, say I'm in MD coming around the beltway outer loop towards the 495/270 spur as I normally do, and 270 is backed up. When that happens the left lane of the beltway is often moving the fastest, with each lane to the right moving slower and slower due to 270 splitting off to the right. So say I'm doing 65 and some guy behind me wants to go 75 and is on my ass, but the lane to the right of me is moving slower and is pretty congested. Do I slow down, and try to squeeze my way into that lane so mr.speeder behind me can continue on his merry way doing 20+ over the speed limit? I can guarantee you unless that lane isn't very busy and I can easily move over without having to slow down much or cut someone off I won't do it. Some people on here are probably reasonable in their expectations of people getting out of their way, but I bet alot are not and are those guys in my example.
I don't think you are a left lane blocker in that situation. You would be if you won't move right when it is safe to do so, though. That particular split is built more like a right hand exit. Three lanes go left and two go right (actually, one of the lanes can go either direction. Look at a real split, where 495 goes east and 270 goes North from the inner loop. 3 lanes go in either direction. That's not anything like a real left hand exit. Look at the exit for 66 east from the outer loop. It is a true left hand exit. To use it, you have to merge into the left lane, where speeders want to speed, regardless of whether you want to speed or not, and exit to the left. It's a very different situation from the one you describe. In your example, you have a choice of 3 lanes to be in.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
[Crazy motorcycle video].
We were on 395 S yesterday, between Alexandria and Springfield, and some crazy sportbike guy was slaloming between the cars. I don't mean one crazy lane change at high speed; he did SEVERAL, one after the other, just to entertain himself. Almost in a skiing pattern, as if the cars were pylons. Unreal.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,074,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
We were on 395 S yesterday, between Alexandria and Springfield, and some crazy sportbike guy was slaloming between the cars. I don't mean one crazy lane change at high speed; he did SEVERAL, one after the other, just to entertain himself. Almost in a skiing pattern, as if the cars were pylons. Unreal.
Eventually natural selection will take care of that and the human race will be better for it. I just feel sorry for the poor souls who have to scrape the carcasses off the pavement.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-01-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,394 times
Here is my gripe: What is up with people who stop two-three car spaces behind an actual car at a traffic light? Don't be such a wanker; move up!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM

6,578 posts, read 10,883,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Here is my gripe: What is up with people who stop two-three car spaces behind an actual car at a traffic light? Don't be such a wanker; move up!
How many times will you post this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia