Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I see no reason to push someone close up, but I think it is ok to flash your lights to signal you want a car to move over so that you can pass. At least I seem to remember reading that in VA code. I'll try to look it up.
To be honest, I don't think one is supposed to do that. What I think you may be remembering--it may have been on this forum in the last few months--is that the State Police advise that you not block the left lane if someone behind you wants to pass. But being honest, I'm sure they also discourage folks from brighting and honking. I'm sure that by law I probably was supposed to just sit there and hope for her to get a clue. Guess I'm just not that patient. Perhaps I should be--but I ain't. Obliviousness exasperates me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
To be honest, I don't think one is supposed to do that. What I think you may be remembering--it may have been on this forum in the last few months--is that the State Police advise that you not block the left lane if someone behind you wants to pass. But being honest, I'm sure they also discourage folks from brighting and honking. I'm sure that by law I probably was supposed to just sit there and hope for her to get a clue. Guess I'm just not that patient. Perhaps I should be--but I ain't. Obliviousness exasperates me.
I'm pretty sure the slower car is supposed to move over upon some type of signal (ex. flashing lights or honking of the horn).

Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
My biggest issue is semis. They just need their own roads where they can take up all the lanes and cut each other off as muchas they want.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-842

§ 46.2-842. Driver to give way to overtaking vehicle.
Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. Any over-width, or slow-moving vehicle as defined by § 46.2-1081 shall be removed from the roadway at the nearest suitable location when necessary to allow traffic to pass.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Any over-width, or slow-moving vehicle as defined by § 46.2-1081 shall be removed from the roadway at the nearest suitable location when necessary to allow traffic to pass.
So I could've towed her! Excellent...

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-842

§ 46.2-842. Driver to give way to overtaking vehicle.
Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. Any over-width, or slow-moving vehicle as defined by § 46.2-1081 shall be removed from the roadway at the nearest suitable location when necessary to allow traffic to pass.

This should be posted every quarter-mile on every 2 lane road in Loudoun!! I'd gladly pay a heck of a lot more taxes for that.

It AMAZES me, when I am passing a car on a two lane road (obviously, for going too slow), so often the car speeds up as I am trying to pass them. What are they doing?? Trying to get me killed for legally passing them?? Occasionally someone passes me, and when they go to pass, I immediately slow down to make it easier on them. They obviously want to go faster than me; I will certainly let them do it.

As for the 2nd half of the law (slow-moving vehicles), on the first day of living in rural Loudoun, I happened to be reading a newspaper article (local Faquier paper, I believe) which had a front page article about "Tractor Rage". "Tractor Rage" is road rage because you are stuck behind a tractor (or other slow-moving vehicle), with no means to get around. I thought it a funny article and scoffed at it being a front page story. Two years later, I now certainly know some "Tractor Rage"!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
This should be posted every quarter-mile on every 2 lane road in Loudoun!! I'd gladly pay a heck of a lot more taxes for that.

It AMAZES me, when I am passing a car on a two lane road (obviously, for going too slow), so often the car speeds up as I am trying to pass them. What are they doing?? Trying to get me killed for legally passing them?? Occasionally someone passes me, and when they go to pass, I immediately slow down to make it easier on them. They obviously want to go faster than me; I will certainly let them do it.
I see this all the time. Brambleton westward goes from dense to rural in a matter of seconds, and a lot of people move here from urban/suburban places and don't know rural road 'habits'. I learned to drive in both city and rural areas, and there are things you do in rural areas (like you mention - slowing down so someone can pass you, or even pulling over if it's a long stretch of no-pass and you have the shoulder to do so; putting on your blinker if someone ahead of you is stopped with their blinker on to turn left across traffic, so that the people behind you don't rear-end you; flashing your brights at someone to let them know it's clear to move into the lane ahead of you, etc.) that not only do many non-rural drivers ignore, but sometimes will get aggressive with you for doing them.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Driving here makes me wish I lived in Germany again. If you get flashed you better get out of the way! He is flashing you from 2 miles back and will be on you in seconds! On the rural roads a slow moving vehicle (tractor, truck whatever) will move to the edge of the road and an oncoming car will do the same and other cars create the third lane, which is sort of like just driving up the middle. I always wondered what would happen if the third lane was opened for both directions!

You don't want to get in any line with a German (queing is not their speciality) that is a battle of who is bigger, louder and the most aggressive, but I would drive with Germans any day! They obey the rules, use their signals, you know exactly what to expect.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
...and there are things you do in rural areas ... pulling over if it's a long stretch of no-pass and you have the shoulder to do so...
In my defense, I did the above this weekend, out near Luray.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Maybe you're right. (In fact, my wife would agree with you--if she knew. Which she won't.) But what should I have done? What is a driver supposed to do when someone insists on blocking the left lane? I mean, come on--I'm not Ghandi!
Just go around on the right and forget it. You're not her teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia