Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Unfortunately because some not super bright people put left exits on high speed roads like that... doesn't change the rules of the road that the left lane still is for passing! And if you need to get into the left lane to turn or exit or whatever... you should be courteous of others and keep up with traffic at least. And in those non large highways etc... you after to turn from a left lane, slow down, etc. Just simply use your blinker to communicate with the folks driving around you.

If they are still crazy and a-holes when you are doing that... they are the type that will never be satisfied unless the road was clear and only they could be on it.... so that's when you just roll your eyes and go about your day haha.
There are rules of the road that still need to be followed, use of signals, right of way etc. However, the rules change slightly in the case of left lane exits. That lane is no longer a lane to avoid if not passing, why? It is no longer a passing issue, it is an exit issue in which speed often times needs to be reduced not increased to navigate the exit. There should never be left lane exits on fast moving highways because of safety issues. I'm sure the reason its done is to save money on the construction of over and underpasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
I think it's funny when I'm going 5-10 over the speed limit and people ride my ass wanting me to change lanes

Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I think it's funny when I'm going 5-10 over the speed limit and people ride my ass wanting me to change lanes
Well, which lane are you in?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,692 times
I understand when you're on the farthermost left lane, but I'm in the center lane (thinking beltway and 395). Usually, ride the centerlane so I let in the people coming on the road.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:16 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I understand when you're on the farthermost left lane, but I'm in the center lane (thinking beltway and 395). Usually, ride the centerlane so I let in the people coming on the road.
Yeah, they should leave you alone in the center lane, unless you're going 45 or something. The left lane is where speeders have a right to expect to get by. In the left lane, I think gentle nudging should be legal.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
That honk would be my cue to slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down...
I do the same thing and wave with a smile as they fly way over the speed limit angrily (as if it would somehow hurt me).

Old 06-27-2012, 12:48 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
I will slow down if someone is tailgaiting me... basically, I am not going to go faster because the person behind me wants to, so I go slower so they pass. And for the record, usually I am in the center (or one of the center lanes). The right lane is too dangerous with the on and off merging and the left lane is for people that drive faster than me!

I do hate it when I have a left lane exit though. Sometimes you have to get over when you can or you will miss your exit... but if you aren't going the speed someone else thinks you should be doing (and that varies depending on who is in the lane with you), then you are ticking people off. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
There are many places around NOVA where no matter what you end up in the left lane due to merging traffic, traffic pattern changes, etc. Then trying to get over to the right becomes a problem because some people will swerve and fly around you to the right very quickly because they can't possibly slow down to a speed below 80 in order to give you the five seconds you need to move over out of the left lane. Even if your signal is on and you clearly want to get over and let them pass properly. Trying to drive safely around here is probably more difficult than just driving like everyone else.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,289 times
I am baffled at the drivers around here who think they are special. The rules don't apply to them. Driving is like playing a game for them... they get bonus points for how many people they can pass and pass illegally.

I saw a special driver last night coming home during rush hour traffic on 66. Apparently he is so special that he is allowed to pass on the left using the emergency lane. That's right, he broke out of the HOV lane to pass a car on the left. Not that he got very far since all lanes were full of thousands of other cars. My husband and I just watched him weave back and forth between all the lanes passing people. I think in the end he got a whopping 2 car lengths ahead ... really... all that for 30 feet??

I recently saw another special driver come around about 10 cars on a hill that dropped down to a railroad crossing, so he could pass everyone on a double yellow line because a tractor was slowing down traffic for about 3 minutes if that. The tractor was trying to turn left to get off the road. Who the heck thinks they can pass on a hill on a double yellow line and go around numerous cars? You're NOT special!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I do hate it when I have a left lane exit though. Sometimes you have to get over when you can or you will miss your exit... but if you aren't going the speed someone else thinks you should be doing (and that varies depending on who is in the lane with you), then you are ticking people off. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Fair point--though hopefully you have your turn signal on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia