Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Hello to my new neighbors down here in NoVA! My photo tours on the PA (dozens of tours), NY (Binghamton, Ithaca, Narrowsburg/Callicoon), and NJ (Hackettstown) forums have proven themselves to be very successful, netting hundreds of thousands of views since I began to post them way back in 2006. While the forum in and of itself had perhaps 10,000-15,000 members back when I joined it wasn't long after I started posting that more people started to join and upload their own photos to the point where our NEPA sub-forum was then able to support a very popular photo "sticky" thread (that I hope Tone509 will consider adding in a few months if others on the forum are inspired to likewise start snapping up the region with their cameras).

Today I took advantage of the nice weather (well, it looks like storms are starting to bubble up now) to head back for a second trip to Old Town Alexandria only this time I was familiarized with the layout of the neighborhood and read to start capturing the essence of one of NoVA's best kept secrets (seriously, the place was nearly DESERTED today!)

I parked my sedan in a garage along Lee Street and then set out on foot for about 2.5 hours, roaming just about every block in this very attractive, lush, vibrant, and walkable part of Alexandria---the very same area where colonists and Revolutionary War-era folks used to go about their daily lives 250 years ago. Coming from Reston, where people consider Lake Anne Plaza to be "historic" (scratches head) I absolutely fell in love with the gorgeous (yet expensive) brick row homes here and would LOVE to own one myself someday!

I'll try to keep my subjective commentary on the positive side to avoid ruffling feathers, and without further adieu please enjoy my first tour!

Welcome to Old Town Alexandria!

Here are a couple of views of the waterfront, which is located just to the east of Union Street at the ends of King and Cameron Streets.

Here you see the Torpedo Factory, which is an old industrial building that has now been converted into a major art gallery.

The picturesque fountain along the waterfront, adjacent to the food court area.

One of many excursion/transit ships that operates out of the harbor.

A giant propellor!

Looking across one of the inlets at Founders Park towards Union Street.

AFLAC!!!

An entrance to Founders Park from Union Street.

Looking across Union Street and up what I believe was Queen Street.

An attractive block of Union Street.

Another block of Union Street.

SW Corner of Union & Queen Streets.

A shared rear courtyard of historic rowhomes on two parallel streets that feed into Union Street (foreground).

Looking back up Union Street towards King Street (Image taken near intersection of Union & Cameron). It was near here where a drifter panhandled me, and I felt bad telling him I didn't have any change (ironically I truly DIDN'T! LOL!)

An attractive eaery along Union Street, just south of King Street. It was near here that a man driving by stopped to ask me for directions, but he had to leave when I told him "Sorry. I'm not from around here!" I know! A GUY asking for directions?! LOL!

The corner of Union and what I believe was Prince Street. (Note the cobblestone street!) I even caught Normie driving by in her Prius! I waved to her, but she wouldn't wave back though (at least not with ALL of her fingers! LOL!)

The SW corner of Union & Prince.

The SW corner of Union & Duke.

I took a photo of this because I believe this is relatively newer construction that was fashioned to resemble the historic aura of the surrounding neighborhood, proving that you CAN build new with an eye towards nostalgia. This was along Union Street in the block that I believe was between Duke & Wolfe Streets.

A cool row of homes along the southern side of Wolfe Street.

Some homes across the way on the northern side of Wolfe Street.

I unfortunately can't recall if this was the view looking north up Lee Street or Fairfax Street. I forgot to take my notepad along, so please bear with me, as so far a few of my captions are probably off by one block here or there (no biggie considering how compact each block is though).

Another handsome row of historic homes.

One of my favorite blocks!

Once again sorry folks that I don't recall which street corner this is either! Everything just started to blur together after a while.

It's hard to believe that one of these babies, as tiny yet well-kept as they may be, can easily fetch well over $500,000!

George Johnston's home. Yes, I DO love to stop and read historical placards wherever I go! BITE ME! LOL!

A nice shady block. (The GOOD "shady").

The Athenaeum, NW corner of Fairfax and Prince I do believe.

Looking back down Prince Street.

Perfectly well-kept colonial row homes along Fairfax Street. (I'm sorry there were so many SUVs and vans in the way today!)

A gorgeous abode along Fairfax Street, one block south of King Street.

Some multi-colored multi-story buildings along the northern side of King Street betweem Fairfax and Royal Streets I do believe. King Street is the main commercial east/west thoroughfare through Old Town, linking George Washington Park (which you'll see at some point below) to the harbor. Probably 90% of the businesses are non-chain (despite a Starbuck's, Restoration Hardware, Popeye's Chicken, Banana Republic, Walgreen's, Chipotle, and GAP that I can think of off the top of my head).

King Street---Various Blocks.

One of the few purely residential blocks along King Street.

Hard Times Cafe, King Street. My family and I had some great chili dogs here when we were in town on Sunday.

I should ask him out. At least HE can't say "No!"

The free trolley that shuttles people from the Metro station at the top of King Street on down with stops all along King Street.

A weird modern plaza near the top of King Street in an island between the Hampton Inn and the Hilton Hotels---both of which were constructed out of brick, may I add, to try to blend in with the neighborhood.

Beautiful! The old courthouse that hosted a wonderful patriotic ceremony when my family and I were here on Sunday. (Taken from King Street).

The building's steeple (Taken from Fairfax Street).

Gadsby's Tavern, Royal Street, where George Washington dined!

Bank of Alexandria, the first financial institution founded by the state of Virginia!

I liked that moped (or was it a Vespa?) (Taken along Cameron Street).

In the last block of Cameron Street before you hit Union Street to the east I was surprised to see these homes on the northern side, which had privacy walls constructed out of brick, affording residents with their own semi-private outdoor retreats.

SMART CAR! I will be able to afford you someday!!!

Old Town Market.

Crilley Warehouse (Lofts?)

The garden behind the Carlyle House.

I was surprised to learn that Old Town was originally smaller and was backfilled for a couple of blocks towards the Potomac.

Carlyle House

Hopefully one of THESE might eventually fall into my budget!

Many parts of Old Town reminded me of Old City in Philadelphia.

I love shutters!

Flags were plentiful here.

I really wish Reston looked like this!

I really liked that yellow rowhome.

Some bigger rowhomes that probably net around $1,000,000!

Another nice rear courtyard between rowhomes on parallel streets.

Cameron Street, just before Christ Church.

Scenes from in and around Christ Church.

A cool little square of sorts around Christ Church near Cameron & Columbus.

Some Summer 2009 events in Old Town.

George Washington Masonic National Memorial, as seen from King Street first from on foot and then my final picture that I took while driving.

I hope you all enjoyed my tour and will provide me with helpful feedback that will help me to better my future NoVA, MD, and DC tours! I wanted to snap MANY more pictures, but my allergies were really taking a toll on me today, so I hope this is enough to pique your curiosity. If you haven't been to Old Town yet, then what are you waiting for? It's truly a hip place to be!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-28-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Looks good. Nice job!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I love the George Washington Masonic building. You can see the top of it from several places in Alexandria. They did this article about how if NoVA was to become a seperate state that should be capitol.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Looks good. Nice job!
Thanks! If the weather is nice tomorrow expect Tour #2!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Those are wonderful pictures. They really capture the essence of Old Town during the day.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:00 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Wonderful pictures, ScranBarre! Thank you for sharing them!

No pictures of the controversial sex/lingerie shop?!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Those are wonderful pictures. They really capture the essence of Old Town during the day.
Thank you! During the day, you say? Is there a vivid nightlife scene in Old Town that I should return to photograph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Wonderful pictures, ScranBarre! Thank you for sharing them!

No pictures of the controversial sex/lingerie shop?!
Thanks. I think you should know by now that it's best that I avoid wading into "controversial" issues! HAHA!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I love the George Washington Masonic building. You can see the top of it from several places in Alexandria. They did this article about how if NoVA was to become a seperate state that should be capitol.
It truly is a gorgeous building. NoVA a separate state, eh? No offense, but wouldn't that CRIPPLE the economy of the rest of Virginia?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thank you! During the day, you say? Is there a vivid nightlife scene in Old Town that I should return to photograph?

Thanks. I think you should know by now that it's best that I avoid wading into "controversial" issues! HAHA!
Yep, there's a nightlife in Old Town - both on and off the water. Friday night would be a good time to check it out .

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It truly is a gorgeous building. NoVA a separate state, eh? No offense, but wouldn't that CRIPPLE the economy of the rest of Virginia?
A northeastern population wanting to escape crime and high taxes of the north wont dictate a separation of Virginia to make it like the joint they came from, sorry. Great pictures! Capture Murphy's Tavern and the many statues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia