U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I also noticed from that vantage point, as did my wife while watching from the other room, that every time the lightening flashed, we could see the clouds rotating. We grabbed the kids and hit the basement pronto. Any reports of tornado activity last night?
I didn't see the rotating clouds (it was raining like crazy here in Leesburg) but I was surprised there weren't any tornadoes reported. I was sure our little track house was about to blow away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 AM

361 posts, read 618,746 times
So happy to have power again, I will/may stop complaining about the heat.
We came up without A/C but always at least had a fan.
When power came on last night, it was 89 degrees inside!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,010,603 times
No power until this morning here in Mount Vernon. Any truth that McDonnell asked Dominion to bring up Republican precincts first?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:52 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,643,228 times
Our house cooled down a bit with the windows open. Getting close to closing them again. During the snowstorms we went 4 or 5 days w/o power. We'll start cooking some of the food this morning that we don't have to toss.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,311,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
I didn't see the rotating clouds (it was raining like crazy here in Leesburg) but I was surprised there weren't any tornadoes reported. I was sure our little track house was about to blow away.
Probably a tract house, actually, and there was at least one tornado reported but nowhere near here. This event was a derecho, a sort of wall of high winds that blow in pretty much the same direction in front of a long squall line. The spinning motion of tornados would be more associated with supercells than with derechos. There is already a good history of the storm on wikipedia, which includes a link to time-lapse images of the radar on it. The mountains actually broke it up pretty well for us, but there was so much heat energy stored up on the east side that it was quickly able to reform and get going again.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:48 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,937,269 times
Glad people are getting their power back. We got ours back at 10:17 p.m. last night. We'd already gone to sleep in the basement, as the rest of the house was too hot. I was surprised they got it done then; thought it probably wouldn't be back on till today.

Hats off to the Dominion power crew guys--the unsung heroes of modern suburbia. Seriously, those guys get way too little credit.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,010,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Glad people are getting their power back. We got ours back at 10:17 p.m. last night. We'd already gone to sleep in the basement, as the rest of the house was too hot. I was surprised they got it done then; thought it probably wouldn't be back on till today.

Hats off to the Dominion power crew guys--the unsung heroes of modern suburbia. Seriously, those guys get way too little credit.
And thanks to the local newsradio folks who said hysterically, as usual, we'd be without power for a week.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Second that, and we didn't even need them this time. People who think only of police, fire, and EMT types when they hear the term "first responders" are leaving out a very important group.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And thanks to the local newsradio folks who said hysterically, as usual, we'd be without power for a week.
Hair-on-fire types. That's what we seem to get from the media at all levels these days. Rabid radio and tabloid television brought to us by one big group of functional illiterates.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 AM

231 posts, read 382,132 times
We never lost power - which is amazing because we ALWAYS lose power (and of course, after I bought a generator in anticipation of Irene last year (where we also didn't lose power)).

That being said, it looked like a war zone yesterday. Went to the local Giant for a couple items for a "pool day" and thought I had landed in Ethiopia. People lined up for bags of ice - 2 bags per person.

The other thing I've noticed is that VEPCO really seems to bust their asses to get lines back up. At the peak of the mayhem, looked like VEPCO and PEPCO each had 450,000 out in the metro DC area. VEPCO is down to 285,000 while PEPCO is closer to 350,000. I get the feeling that VEPCO simply gets their stuff done better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia