U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM
 
3,557 posts, read 3,449,475 times
Reputation: 1632

Advertisements

To the OP, just come up with a good (albeit BS) reason why you want to work there before an interview. What about car sales? Usually very high turnover and they don't give a damn if you have no experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,034,287 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
To the OP, just come up with a good (albeit BS) reason why you want to work there before an interview. What about car sales? Usually very high turnover and they don't give a damn if you have no experience.
Except they work on commission and have to dress up. Not a good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 AM
 
373 posts, read 715,426 times
Reputation: 378
Another +1 for dog-walking or another service like housekeeping and lawn care. You might not even have to go through a company if you have neighbors who would be willing to give you some cash or spread your services word of mouth. (Insert obligatory language about reporting taxable income, etc.) Especially in the summer -- prime housesitting / dogsitting season. People willing to keep a dog for under $100 a day are worth their weight in gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
 
3,557 posts, read 3,449,475 times
Reputation: 1632
The Potomac Nationals hire seasonal positions. You wouldn't have to worry about am expected long trm commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,686 posts, read 10,574,793 times
Reputation: 19832
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
People willing to keep a dog for under $100 a day are worth their weight in gold.
Seriously?!? Where do I sign up to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 AM
 
Location: NoVA
230 posts, read 1,048,317 times
Reputation: 124
Thanks guys. Yeah, depending on when exactly I need the work, I'll have to look for various seasonal positions.

Or, with the plethora of restaurants in the Potomac Mills area, I'm sure I could find some waiter job. What restaurants in the PotMills area do you think would get better tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM
 
10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Reputation: 6466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, depending on when exactly I need the work, I'll have to look for various seasonal positions.

Or, with the plethora of restaurants in the Potomac Mills area, I'm sure I could find some waiter job. What restaurants in the PotMills area do you think would get better tips?
Carrabas, Outback, Uncle Julio's, and that sort of thing.

My daughter worked at Bungalow Alehouse last year. She made great tips until mid-June and then it appeared that all of Woodbridge went on vacation and she hardly had any business/got much in the way of tips. You want to look for the mega-chains that get year-round steady business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 5,218,433 times
Reputation: 1926
Lightbulb too expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Another +1 for dog-walking or another service like housekeeping and lawn care. You might not even have to go through a company if you have neighbors who would be willing to give you some cash or spread your services word of mouth. (Insert obligatory language about reporting taxable income, etc.) Especially in the summer -- prime housesitting / dogsitting season. People willing to keep a dog for under $100 a day are worth their weight in gold.
Either a HS or college aged fella was working our neighborhood with fliers to do lawnwork and his flat rate was $40 and he wanted to use the owner's mower. Our yards are so small that a tank of gas lasts at least 3 or 4 mowings. I'd be inclined to assist but not at those prices and not using the owner's machinery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,034,287 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Or, with the plethora of restaurants in the Potomac Mills area, I'm sure I could find some waiter job. What restaurants in the PotMills area do you think would get better tips?
They generally want someone with restaurant experience. People think they can just start waiting tables but it's not that easy. You often have to start as a host, hostess, or busboy before you can move up to server status. If you walk in and offer to wash dishes you may be able to get something at min. wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM
 
10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Reputation: 6466
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They generally want someone with restaurant experience. People think they can just start waiting tables but it's not that easy. You often have to start as a host, hostess, or busboy before you can move up to server status. If you walk in and offer to wash dishes you may be able to get something at min. wage.

My DD had no experience and was offered a job at Bungalow Alehouse and Carrabas. You are correct though--most of the bigger name restaurants (the one where you make good tips) want a few years of waitstaff experience at a lower-tier restaurant.

Be aware that, without waitstaff experience, you will be in a 2 week training period. You will be paid minimum wage and get no tips. All the restaurants do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top