U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM

3,557 posts, read 3,449,475 times

Advertisements

To the OP, just come up with a good (albeit BS) reason why you want to work there before an interview. What about car sales? Usually very high turnover and they don't give a damn if you have no experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,034,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
To the OP, just come up with a good (albeit BS) reason why you want to work there before an interview. What about car sales? Usually very high turnover and they don't give a damn if you have no experience.
Except they work on commission and have to dress up. Not a good option.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 AM

373 posts, read 715,426 times
Another +1 for dog-walking or another service like housekeeping and lawn care. You might not even have to go through a company if you have neighbors who would be willing to give you some cash or spread your services word of mouth. (Insert obligatory language about reporting taxable income, etc.) Especially in the summer -- prime housesitting / dogsitting season. People willing to keep a dog for under $100 a day are worth their weight in gold.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,449,475 times
The Potomac Nationals hire seasonal positions. You wouldn't have to worry about am expected long trm commitment.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:45 PM

14,686 posts, read 10,574,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
People willing to keep a dog for under $100 a day are worth their weight in gold.
Seriously?!? Where do I sign up to do this?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 AM

230 posts, read 1,048,317 times
Thanks guys. Yeah, depending on when exactly I need the work, I'll have to look for various seasonal positions.

Or, with the plethora of restaurants in the Potomac Mills area, I'm sure I could find some waiter job. What restaurants in the PotMills area do you think would get better tips?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, depending on when exactly I need the work, I'll have to look for various seasonal positions.

Or, with the plethora of restaurants in the Potomac Mills area, I'm sure I could find some waiter job. What restaurants in the PotMills area do you think would get better tips?
Carrabas, Outback, Uncle Julio's, and that sort of thing.

My daughter worked at Bungalow Alehouse last year. She made great tips until mid-June and then it appeared that all of Woodbridge went on vacation and she hardly had any business/got much in the way of tips. You want to look for the mega-chains that get year-round steady business.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,218,433 times
Lightbulb too expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Another +1 for dog-walking or another service like housekeeping and lawn care. You might not even have to go through a company if you have neighbors who would be willing to give you some cash or spread your services word of mouth. (Insert obligatory language about reporting taxable income, etc.) Especially in the summer -- prime housesitting / dogsitting season. People willing to keep a dog for under $100 a day are worth their weight in gold.
Either a HS or college aged fella was working our neighborhood with fliers to do lawnwork and his flat rate was $40 and he wanted to use the owner's mower. Our yards are so small that a tank of gas lasts at least 3 or 4 mowings. I'd be inclined to assist but not at those prices and not using the owner's machinery.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,034,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
They generally want someone with restaurant experience. People think they can just start waiting tables but it's not that easy. You often have to start as a host, hostess, or busboy before you can move up to server status. If you walk in and offer to wash dishes you may be able to get something at min. wage.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They generally want someone with restaurant experience. People think they can just start waiting tables but it's not that easy. You often have to start as a host, hostess, or busboy before you can move up to server status. If you walk in and offer to wash dishes you may be able to get something at min. wage.

My DD had no experience and was offered a job at Bungalow Alehouse and Carrabas. You are correct though--most of the bigger name restaurants (the one where you make good tips) want a few years of waitstaff experience at a lower-tier restaurant.

Be aware that, without waitstaff experience, you will be in a 2 week training period. You will be paid minimum wage and get no tips. All the restaurants do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia