U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM

41 posts, read 171,871 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to Virginia from Atlanta. My husbands workplace is Mclean,VA and so have few questions. I would really appreciate your honest replies.

...... First of all where should we consider to rent out the apartment?( In Atlanta we were paying around $800 for a decent apartment conveniently located)

..... Before renting out first priority is our son's daycare/childcare/preschool depending on which we will rent out near to his childcare facility... He is 20 months old and i am not immediately thinking of preschool for him but any childcare facility for half days Mon thro Fri ( Here in Atlanta he goes to Northside united methodist church toddler program called Weekdays within the ARK , Mon - Fri for half days and i spend around $400 monthly which is worth and my sons loves his school) So please suggest me something similar??

.....could anyone price double bedroom apartment considering the good childcare facility nearby?

.....Somehow i liked the church schools so far but later on if i happen to start working i may want my son to be taken care off full time i need to know about such facilities too?

.... If the questions are too many please dont get bored.... i am sorry .... i am little confused regarding where to start with......bcoz moving to a new place drives me crazy

Looking forward for your replies,
Vijaya

Old 09-28-2007, 03:36 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,874 times
First, the bad news. You cannot rent a decent apartment or a family of three anywhere close to McLean for $800 per month. You'll need AT LEAST twice that much, and probably more if you want two bedrooms. Once you know your housing budget, you can get better ideas from folks here about the areas to consider.

Second, there are many wonderful part-time preschools for toddlers, but most fill up very quickly, and very few have openings now for the current school year. Once you know where you'll be living, you will be in a position to ask around about preschools.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:30 AM

504 posts, read 1,024,090 times
Not trying to make you feel worse but for daycare, you will be looking at doubling what you are paying now as well. We paid $800 for part-time (three days a week) last year. The going rate for daycare is $800-$1000 a month.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.

How about if we consider Fairfax,Falls church,Vienna.......

could u elaborate on these areas if u have any idea?

Do u have any list of part time preschools i mean any links?

Thanks again

Old 09-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Hi

Thanks for the info. Do u have any list of daycares and/or church preschools?
I am also interested to know about church mothers morning out programs and any such toddler programs in church schools.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2007, 03:12 PM

How about if we consider Fairfax,Falls church,Vienna.......

could u elaborate on these areas if u have any idea?

How much can you afford to spent on rent? And how much time is your husband willing to spend on a commute? You need to answer those questions before considering where you might live, and the preschool situations that might be available to you.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 PM

I think we can afford upto $1000 and plus or minus another 100 depending on the convenience.

My husband can spend 30-45 mins max again depending on the convenience.
Regarding my sons daycare/preschool i just know that its better if house is near to his child care center maybe max 10-15mins.
SO now did u get little more clear picture??????
I appreciate your help.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Take a look at this website, to get some idea of the rental options available. northern virginia apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
As you'll see, there aren't many places for $1000.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the link. I browsed thro it and really stunned looking at the rates. Maybe we should go far for my price i think.... but commute may become hell isnt it? i have heard traffic congestion is too much during peak hrs....
Anyways i have to do much more search than i thought......

Old 09-30-2007, 08:32 AM

If you can truly afford only $1000 or so for housing, then I'd consider very carefully whether this move makes sense for your family, unless you or your husband can quickly advance to earn a much higher income in the next few years. Otherwise, you will have to choose between an extremely long commute, or squeezing your family into a tiny apartment in a not particularly desirable location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia