Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM

144 posts, read 333,011 times

Advertisements

It's ok don't be sorry... Navy Federal is way better for me!

Apple isn't a bad bank in the slightest... just with my credit profile and the various credit products I utilize they were not as accomodating as I would have liked them to be.

But I definately think we gave the OP a good list of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,597,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I haven't heard too many positive reviews of Apple from coworkers...

We have accounts through USAA (all online) and Bank of America (for the few times we need to see a person)
I have an account with Apple FCU and USAA.

Apple FCU is pretty decent though I hate their fees for a non-Apple ATM withdrawl or a shared branch use. That really got irritating living in Louisville where there are no Apple branches. Their service is pretty good though I am a little PO'd they didn't offer temp checks when I told them I had no checks for my checking acct and was in town to put a deposit down on a place.

USAA has treated me well. The biggest pain was making deposits but I recently qualified for Deposit Mobile and there is a bank branch up the street from me at Pentagon Row for cash. I love their ATM refunds.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM

231 posts, read 454,112 times
I travel a fair amount internationally, so HSBC works for me. They've expanded aggressively in the DC area and I get pretty preferential rates. Also, with branches all over Europe, the forex rate is pretty much interbank and there are no fees.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,725,180 times
I have Navy and Suntrust. Suntrust has a lot more branches, and it works when I travel to Florida or move to NC. Navy is better with fees and you can use their ATMs at 7-11 for free.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,678,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinNOVA View Post
I also recommend Digital Federal Credit Union and Alliant Credit Union. They are not local but offer very friendly interfaces and of course access to the co-op network.
What type of membership requirements do they have?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:29 AM

144 posts, read 333,011 times
You just have to join an organization to get in.

For Alliant, you just need to join this organization:
Foster Care to Success formerly Orphan Foundation of America
With as little as a 10 dollar donation.

For DCU these are the available organizations:
Participating Organizations – Dues of $10 to $19
  • Reach Out for Schools
    Reach Out for Schools, PO Box 714, Marlborough, MA 01752
    Reach Out for Schools Web Site | Reach Out for Schools/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
    Reach Out for Schools is a non-profit membership organization that raises money to donate to primary and secondary schools in communities where our members reside. All the funds we raise are currently used to adopt classrooms through the Adopt-A-Classroom program.
    Memberships start at $10.
  • AAPD – American Association of People with Disabilities
    AAPD Member Services, 18 Harvard Drive, Milford, MA 01757
    AAPD Web Site | AAPD/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
    AAPD is a national nonprofit cross-disability membership organization dedicated to ensuring economic and political empowerment for all people with disabilities. Member benefits include access to DCU, mail order discount pharmacy discount program, and more.
    Memberships start at $15.
  • New England Chapter, PRRT&HS
    New England Chapter, PRRT&HS, PO Box 624, Marlborough, MA 01752
    New England Chapter, PRRT&HS Web Site | New England Chapter, PRRT&HS/DCU Application Package (pdf format)
    The New England Chapter is a non-profit affiliate of the PRRT&HS dedicated to the study and historical preservation of the Pennsylvania Railroad (1846-1968) and the fellowship of its members. It serves PRR fans in all six New England states, but all people with an interest in the PRR are welcome. Dues include the quarterly publication The East Wind. Membership in the national society is not required for membership in the chapter, but is strongly encouraged.
    Annual dues are $15.
Between the two, I think Alliant has a much nicer user interface. However, DCU offers a free monthly Equifax FICO score and has a neat program called Finance Works that you can link in all your accounts and do budgetting.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 AM

979 posts, read 1,769,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I rarely if ever bank in person, that's why somewhere with widespread ATMs is a must.
As someone else mentioned, I use Capital One Bank, which has a lot of branches in this area since they bought Chevy Chase Bank. As for ATMs, the account I have with them (high yield checking) does not charge you for using other ATMs, and they even reimburse you if that other ATM charges you a fee, so it doesn't matter what ATM I use. Very convenient for me. That said, I don't know if that feature applies to other accounts; ours is the high-yield, where I think there is a $5k minimum balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia