Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM

147 posts, read 255,170 times

Advertisements

Everyone, I was just calmly working at my office when the power went out . My office is at the corner of Reston Parkway and Sunset Hills road. I looked out and saw the traffic lights were out as well. 10 min later our phones (VOIP) and network went out. I am sending this over my company laptop with my cell as a wifi hotspot.
According to the guard the entire city may be out. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this new latest outage?
I live in Herndon so I am hoping that they still have power.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 PM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
It could be that the utility company had to temporarily cut your power to repair a line and restore power to someone else. I've never expereinced it, but I've heard of people losing power when the temps are high and everyone is revving up their ACs to beat the heat, so I suppose that could be another reason.

You could always call a business or restaurant near your home to see if they have electricity. Power out at work? Phones out at work? Time to call it a weekend!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
Everyone, I was just calmly working at my office when the power went out . My office is at the corner of Reston Parkway and Sunset Hills road. I looked out and saw the traffic lights were out as well. 10 min later our phones (VOIP) and network went out. I am sending this over my company laptop with my cell as a wifi hotspot.
According to the guard the entire city may be out. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this new latest outage?
I live in Herndon so I am hoping that they still have power.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Your security guard needs to take a Valium. I'm in Reston at home happily enjoying my A/C.

Power is not out in "the entire city". According to Dominion Virginia's outage map, there is an outage at Sunset Hills near Plaza America affecting 741 customers. Other than that, there is only one other outage shown for all of Reston, a smaller one affecting 13 customers near Glade and Reston Parkway.

According to Dominion, your outage is scheduled to be repaired sometime between 5:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. Might as well get a head start on Friday happy hour!

And, again according to the map, you can relax about Herndon -- there is only one lucky person there without power, as far as I can tell.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

147 posts, read 255,170 times
Thank you so much for the information. I will have to take the laptop home and indeed start the weekend.
I guess this thread can be closed now that my question has been answered.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Your security guard needs to take a Valium. I'm in Reston at home happily enjoying my A/C.

Power is not out in "the entire city". According to Dominion Virginia's outage map, there is an outage at Sunset Hills near Plaza America affecting 741 customers. Other than that, there is only one other outage shown for all of Reston, a smaller one affecting 13 customers near Glade and Reston Parkway.

According to Dominion, your outage is scheduled to be repaired sometime between 5:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. Might as well get a head start on Friday happy hour!

And, again according to the map, you can relax about Herndon -- there is only one lucky person there without power, as far as I can tell.
DARN!! Must be across the street. I'm right there at Plaza America, but our power is just fine; yet I'd love to leave for an early Happy Hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia