U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,230 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi

I recently moved to NOVA area and have liked it so far. I have been teaching math at community colleges for about 10 years now and have been thinking of starting a business or buying a franchise. After doing some research I figured after school coaching classes like kumon, mathnasium etc. are popular here.

My questions are

1. Is it better to start a tutoring business in NOVA or better to go with franchisee model with one of the established names?
2. What is the best way to advertise here? I thought of putting flyers etc. but there are far too many restrictions (e.g. most of corporate chains like safeway, cvs etc. won't allow to put flyers).
3. I live close to Tysons corner (within 22102 zip code), is there a better area suited for this type of business?

Thanks
NB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1550 View Post
Hi

I recently moved to NOVA area and have liked it so far. I have been teaching math at community colleges for about 10 years now and have been thinking of starting a business or buying a franchise. After doing some research I figured after school coaching classes like kumon, mathnasium etc. are popular here.

My questions are

1. Is it better to start a tutoring business in NOVA or better to go with franchisee model with one of the established names?
2. What is the best way to advertise here? I thought of putting flyers etc. but there are far too many restrictions (e.g. most of corporate chains like safeway, cvs etc. won't allow to put flyers).
3. I live close to Tysons corner (within 22102 zip code), is there a better area suited for this type of business?

Thanks
NB
Our Safeway has a bulletin board out front where anyone can post things like that so it's apparently not an iron-clad rule. How about advertising on Craigslist? I wouldn't do a franchise thing. You can probably drum up enough business on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Reputation: 6458
I agree. When I was looking for a tutor for my daughter, I searched Craigslist. Once you get a few students, you'll probably start getting lots of referrals. Just make sure you have a good ad on Craigslist with detailed info on your experience/credentials. Be willing to either travel to the student or tutor in a common area. The library seems to be a popular meeting place for that. Once you gain the trust of some students and they refer you out, you could tutor out of your home at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 06:22 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 2,982,730 times
Reputation: 1270
The smoothie stores (Robeks, Tropical Smoothie, etc.) seem to have bulletin boards with all sorts of stuff on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,315,802 times
Reputation: 507
Check Potbelly stores. They have bulletin boards. Also, check with the PTAs in your area as they are often seeking guest speakers at their meetings. Vern Williams used that approach in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
 
1,101 posts, read 1,809,577 times
Reputation: 4587
When my daughter needed a chem tutor we got a name for the guidance department at her high school. I don't know how the tutor got her name on the list, but I think that's worth investigating. She had more business that she could handle. Once word gets out you're good, I bet you'll find the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 PM
 
2,612 posts, read 4,754,098 times
Reputation: 3943
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1550 View Post
Hi

I recently moved to NOVA area and have liked it so far. I have been teaching math at community colleges for about 10 years now and have been thinking of starting a business or buying a franchise. After doing some research I figured after school coaching classes like kumon, mathnasium etc. are popular here.

My questions are

1. Is it better to start a tutoring business in NOVA or better to go with franchisee model with one of the established names?
2. What is the best way to advertise here? I thought of putting flyers etc. but there are far too many restrictions (e.g. most of corporate chains like safeway, cvs etc. won't allow to put flyers).
3. I live close to Tysons corner (within 22102 zip code), is there a better area suited for this type of business?

Thanks
NB
Craigslist is not what it used to be for tutors - most of what you get back is spam. Also, it's kind of hard to drum up enough private tutoring to survive. I don't know much about tutoring companies, except that Kumon is extremely popular. Tysons would probably be a good place for it, as Kumon is especially popular among the Asian community, and that is an area where I believe many Asian families live. But maybe you know this already. Also, a good start to networking would be to teach a course at the community college or volunteer in a public school. You may be approached about tutoring just by doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,230 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you everybody for your very valuable suggestions. I really appreciate it. I liked your ideas of putting flyers in stores. The libraries do not allow such flyers. I have also posted my ad on CL but did not get any response and hence will try to improve on it. I actually emailed a PTA organization today and am very anxious to hear from them.

I am a full time professor at NOVA and got few offers to teach for tutoring business. I am more inclined towards starting my own so did not accept those offers. However, I am having a very hard time finding students.

I have made a list of your suggestions and will work on them... will keep the forum posted. Meanwhile, if you think of anything, please let me know. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1550 View Post
Thank you everybody for your very valuable suggestions. I really appreciate it. I liked your ideas of putting flyers in stores. The libraries do not allow such flyers. I have also posted my ad on CL but did not get any response and hence will try to improve on it. I actually emailed a PTA organization today and am very anxious to hear from them.

I am a full time professor at NOVA and got few offers to teach for tutoring business. I am more inclined towards starting my own so did not accept those offers. However, I am having a very hard time finding students.

I have made a list of your suggestions and will work on them... will keep the forum posted. Meanwhile, if you think of anything, please let me know. Thanks again!
Not to be a smart aleck, but you do realize that the demand for math tutors dips precipitously this time of year, yes? I'm guessing you'll do better in the Fall shortly after student progress reports come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,315,802 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Not to be a smart aleck, but you do realize that the demand for math tutors dips precipitously this time of year, yes? I'm guessing you'll do better in the Fall shortly after student progress reports come out.
Not to be a smart aleck either -- but it does? It seems most of my kids' friends are all in some form of math camp or math class over the summer.

Now if you said that summer camps/classes are already booked and in progress, then I would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top