U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM

429 posts, read 1,007,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
That's true, but I'm sure we can both admit that MD benefits from having a much smaller state and two large metropolis areas, which covers a large portion of the state. Virginia is such a huge state, but outside of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads and Richmond there isn't a whole lot of major job areas in the state. The makeup of Northern VA is much different than the rest of VA. I think the better comparison is to compare the median incomes of the MD suburbs of DC with the VA suburbs of DC.
Actually, although I stand by the facts I stated, my point was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. This topic, like so many previous Maryland vs Virginia threads seems to be an opportunity for some pretty ridiculous Maryland bashing. You'd think from the tone of some of these posts that Marylanders are all taxed into poverty and living lives of quiet desperation compared to their neighbors living in the Emerald City across the Potomac. I thought I'd just balance things out a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 05:42 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
You'd think from the tone of some of these posts that Marylanders are all taxed into poverty and living lives of quiet desperation compared to their neighbors living in the Emerald City across the Potomac. I thought I'd just balance things out a little.
And well done, as well. As was noted above, Fairfax and Montgomery counties in particular are actually far more similar to than different from each other, but some just aren't prepared to have it that way.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 AM

708 posts, read 1,056,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And well done, as well. As was noted above, Fairfax and Montgomery counties in particular are actually far more similar to than different from each other, but some just aren't prepared to have it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
Actually, although I stand by the facts I stated, my point was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. This topic, like so many previous Maryland vs Virginia threads seems to be an opportunity for some pretty ridiculous Maryland bashing. You'd think from the tone of some of these posts that Marylanders are all taxed into poverty and living lives of quiet desperation compared to their neighbors living in the Emerald City across the Potomac. I thought I'd just balance things out a little.
Do people take a kind and gentle tone when it comes to taxes or crime? Most people I meet are generally pissed off about that kind of stuff....but maybe that is just me.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 20,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
does everything have to be a political pissing contest? This was one of the few forums that didn't have every thread collapse into a name calling heap
Some people prefer MD and they don't mind paying the increasing taxes. Those that don't like paying the taxes, move to VA.. So what? Suburban MD is more established but the VA burbs are growing. So what?

I've lived in DC, MD and VA and each has it's good and bad but I prefer VA. I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with someone else that prefers MD or why anyone would hate on someone that likes lower taxes and less restrictive attitudes towards gun rights?

Jeeze people, this entire one-upmanship garbage is getting old. Grow-up.
spot on newvadad. I read this entire thread because I was mildly curious why I see so many Maryland license plates in NOVA lately, but the conversation degenerated into the same tiresome arguments. IMHO, this area is poison for reasonable discussions and I'm relieved every time I visit another part of the country that this level of contentiousness seems to be a beltway characteristic.
FWIW, I have lived in this area for over 25 years and in practically every local jurisdiction in NOVA, DC, and MD. Each time i moved for different reasons based on my interests at the time and if I move again, it will be based on the issues which are important to me at that time.
And yes, Maryland drivers and DC drivers annoy me just as much as I'm sure I annoy them when I'm in their backyard!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM

708 posts, read 1,056,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruss575 View Post
spot on newvadad. I read this entire thread because I was mildly curious why I see so many Maryland license plates in NOVA lately, but the conversation degenerated into the same tiresome arguments. IMHO, this area is poison for reasonable discussions and I'm relieved every time I visit another part of the country that this level of contentiousness seems to be a beltway characteristic.
FWIW, I have lived in this area for over 25 years and in practically every local jurisdiction in NOVA, DC, and MD. Each time i moved for different reasons based on my interests at the time and if I move again, it will be based on the issues which are important to me at that time.
And yes, Maryland drivers and DC drivers annoy me just as much as I'm sure I annoy them when I'm in their backyard!

Why cant people be free to express their opinions? Thats what forums are for.

Coming to a forum looking for no expression (which includes tireless arguments) is like going to a super market looking for no food!

And besides, tax laws are changing all the time. How relevent would a thread from 1990 be about the argument of tax law vs. today. New tax law = new thread.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM

163 posts, read 261,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Why cant people be free to express their opinions? Thats what forums are for.

Coming to a forum looking for no expression (which includes tireless arguments) is like going to a super market looking for no food!

And besides, tax laws are changing all the time. How relevent would a thread from 1990 be about the argument of tax law vs. today. New tax law = new thread.
It's not about opinions, it's about trying to shut someone else up. It's a childish exercise that really turns people off to web forums and those people abuse the anonymity to do just that. Bullying tactics are not expression but they are a tired worn-out tactic of those that have to fill other needs in their lives by making others feel bad.

I have different opinions than other posters but I would never really task them to providing the court definition of legal evidence to back-up their opinions. They feel how they feel and a person on a message board typing in anger won't change that. This is a very instructive forum with a lot of great input from a lot of different people and it would be a shame to change that because of one or another's political agenda polluting nearly every discussion.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,796,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Fairfax has lower taxes than Maryland and better schools, including better state colleges. So it doesn't seem surprising to me that more people would be moving to VA than MD.
Um no it does not....

Taxes in Anne Arundel County is lower than Fairfax County........

Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,796,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
pgtitans, saganista:

I know, I know, I'm just having a little fun at the expense of our driving brethren north of the Potomac. And I agree that NoVA drivers are nothing to write home about. But still, just from doing a quick search of the Post...

Two ticketed in crash that injured sleeping woman - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

Car crashes into popular Lanham seafood restaurant - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

Crime Scene - 2 hurt as car hits building in Md.

Bus hits Montgomery County KFC - Post Now - The Washington Post

And just to show I'm even-handed:

Car crashes into D.C. sports radio station WJFK - Crime Scene - The Washington Post
anti-Maryland biased are we..........

Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,553,761 times
I'd wager to bet that most of us could be blindfolded and driven to a random spot in MoCo or FFX county, dropped off, and we'd only have a 50/50 chance of figuring out what state we were in when we took off the blindfolds.

Well, unless it was football season, in which case you can tell based on the number of Maryland or UVA hoodies you see walking around.

I've lived in both states, and there are waaaay more similarities than differences. I'm only in Virginia because I wasn't going to commute from Maryland to Kingstowne everyday for work.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:30 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'd wager to bet that most of us could be blindfolded and driven to a random spot in MoCo or FFX county, dropped off, and we'd only have a 50/50 chance of figuring out what state we were in when we took off the blindfolds.
The air smells different. But I am olfactorily sensitive.

I have no beef with those who want to live in MD and think it a better state. Let them live there. NoVA is getting crowded (now that I am here and comfortably ensconced ) -- why would NoVAns tell anyone who'd listen how great it is here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia