Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 PM

43 posts, read 132,098 times

Advertisements

After losing a great deal on short-sale home, my husband and I feel stuck. I'm beginning to understand the reality of our situation. My husband brings in under 70K, and I work retail part time (10K-12K a year) in order to stay home with our toddler. We want to buy a 3 BR condo or townhouse in a family-friendly neighborhood, with good schools.. for 200K or under. I'm beginning to think it's just not possible anymore.

We have been looking and looking in Lake Ridge, West Ridge, Gainesville, Stafford, Bristow... nada. Well, except for short sales and foreclosures.. and we don't want to deal with that anymore! I feel like it's slim-pickin's in our price range. What else can we do besides rent for the next 5 years? Anything? Or should I just accept it? Maybe we should just move away from NoVa - but our family is here, and from what I've been told - all the jobs are too. I feel so stuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,761,536 times
Perhaps downsize your current rental and save for a down payment? That's what I've been doing for the past 6 years and I can finally feel comfortable buying a single family home.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM

881 posts, read 2,090,858 times
Short answer = move away.
Longer answer = save up & move to a lower cost of living area.

Really, there's no other way to look at it. Real estate prices in the greater DC Metro area are quite high and as long as the Federal Gov't is here that fact won't change. It sounds as if your "wanted" list is simply unrealistic w/o shopping the shorts & FCs, and you're wise in realizing that such a property can be a real challenge w/a youngster. FWIW, you're shopping in the right regions...

As to "jobs", be aware that the higher wages for most everyday jobs seldom fully compensates for the higher prices, thus it's two full time jobs or move to a lower cost area.

Best of luck in your search for affordable real estate.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,322,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHunny View Post
After losing a great deal on short-sale home
How did that happen? Were you unqualified?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 PM

43 posts, read 132,098 times
Well, we offered 5k above the seller's asking price, and our realtor said our offer was right in line with the area comparables. However, the bank wanted more $. We weren't comfortable going any higher, so I guess we didn't really "lose it."

Where is the cost of living lower, with a job market that isn't dead?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,457,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
How did that happen? Were you unqualified?
While almost all short sale properties do eventually close, that final sale is often to a fifth or sixth attempted buyer. It is very common for short sale contracts to fall apart short of the mark for all sorts of reasons, many of them not related to the potential buyer at all.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM

162 posts, read 358,802 times
If you have family near by, why don't you see about them providing care for your child so you can work full time. Even if it is just for a year, you could make an additional $20,000 and save much of that.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,322,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
While almost all short sale properties do eventually close, that final sale is often to a fifth or sixth attempted buyer. It is very common for short sale contracts to fall apart short of the mark for all sorts of reasons, many of them not related to the potential buyer at all.
off topic, but what is a short sale "escalation" ?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,643,760 times
There's not a thing wrong with renting. Based on the fact that you want to stay home with your child and, as a result, not make any significant money, I think you should just forget about buying.

First of all, are you REALLY going to be happy with a 2 BDRM condo in a few years? My guess is: NO. If you are committed to being a stay-at-home parent, realize that you only have another 3 years until your child is in school full-time. At that point, you can work many more hours, earn more money, and hopefully, your husband's income will have increased by then. If you buy a cheap condo right now and the time comes that you are ready to move (within 5 years I'd say), I doubt that you will have really earned any money on the condo, you may still take a loss on it when trying to sell due to realtor fees and settlement costs, and you will then be stuck.

Just be patient, stick it out for a few more years, and try again. Unfortunately, in order to do what you want to do, something has to give and the quick answer is for you to get a good job and put your child in daycare, which probably won't work out in the math department anyway.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 8,247 times
To be fair, we're in our mid-twenties and I imagine more money will come our way.. eventually. As my huband's career grows and flourishes. We have always believed we'd find a way to buy before 30. Blind ambition or ignorance, I guess. Reality is slapping us hard!

Christine, no.. there is nothing wrong with renting. I think the hard part is letting go an (unrealistic) dream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia