U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Just wanted to echo the observation that people often come here looking for "progressive" or "liberal" or "gay-friendly" communities, and their requests are not generally met with admonitions about intolerance. One of the regulars here has a derogatory comment about Republicans in his profile. What's good for the goose and all of that.

And people come on here looking for conservative areas, too and are not met with admonitions about intolerance. The difference is that most people do not insult the "other" group who they are not necessarily looking to live among. For example, I've never seen someone say they're looking for an area that is "gay-friendly but isn't full of straight people who don't have American values. Or I've never seen someone say they are looking for a liberal area that does not include Republicans with American values. That is the difference. If someone comes here with an intolerant attitude, they will be met with intolerance. You reap what you sow.

Here's a thread with someone asked for a conservative area without explicity insulting those he didn't want to live among, and he was answered in kind: Moving...for work in Lorton... but looking for the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
This is the region that handed the Senate election to Jim Webb because George Allen made idiotic comments calling a local, Indian-American graduate of a local high school a "macaca." You might want to keep that in mind as you consider exactly how you want to get acquainted with new co-workers and neighbors.
Yup. Also, this is the region where a snide remark made by McCain's brother ended up swaying the vote in Loudoun County--but not in the direction they thought. As I recall he tried to claim people in Loudoun were "real Virginians" (unlike the liberals in Arlington). Kind of a mild insult but it backfired big time and rubbed a lot of independents in Loudoun the wrong way (and even some of the republicans. We may disagree with our neighbors but we don't like to see outsiders disparaging them). Many people think that one unfortunate remark was the reason the GOP ended up losing that county.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,557,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
But the OP did have to insult Democrats by saying he wanted to only live in an area with only Republicans.
May I ask, what is the difference between that, and posters saying they only want to live in an area with a lot of <enter ethnicity>.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM

882 posts, read 1,775,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
May I ask, what is the difference between that, and posters saying they only want to live in an area with a lot of <enter ethnicity>.
There isn't one.
Search back a few short years & you'll find plenty of officially "non politic" threads bashing the previous WH occupant & any who dared support (heck, dared to just speak in level terms) him.

The query stands, though, and I would add that the southwestern corner of FFaX & the county border area does tend to a more conservative viewpoint, regardless of race or religious affiliation.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,874 times
"Letting loose with invective about the current administration won't be an ice-breaker the way it might be in other parts of the state. More likely, it will be a fast track to alienating people, including many other Republicans."

During the Bush administrations, I heard plenty of invective from friends and neighbors who evidently believed that expressing such invective was a demonstration of their superior progressive values. The DC area attracts politically-minded people who often don't think before they speak, because they assume that everyone who fits their demographic profile naturally agrees with them. It can make for some amusing and awkward conversations, on both ends of the spectrum. The bottom line is that in most parts of northern Virginia, you won't be able to find an enclave of like-minded neighbors, but you will also not be alone in your political convictions, whatever they may be.

And there is very little difference between the OP's query and those seeking "gay-friendly" or "progressive" communities. In both cases, the inquirer is seeking to live among like-minded people, and either explicitly or implicitly criticizing those who hold different views.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
LOL that sort of question rarely goes over well on this forum, either. The only time I've seen a question like that be received well was for someone looking for a Jewish neighborhood because he needed a place where he could walk to a synagogue and walk to kosher stores.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Richmond

See ya later

Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Here's the difference. There's a nice way of asking a question without insulting others and a rude way of asking.

Nice way, "Hi, I vote Republican, go to church every Sunday, and like to hunt. Is there an area one could recommend where I would be among others with similar conservative values?"

versus

"Hi I vote Republican, values, go to church every Sunday and like to hunt. I would like to live among only those with similar conservative values. I understand that the area will not be completely free of Democrats but it needs to be an enclave for those with American values."

Or if someone is asking about a certain ethnicity.

Nice way: "Hi I'm Indian from India. I'd like to live in an area where there are other Indian families. Can anyone recommend such a place."

versus

"Hi, I'm Indian from India and would like to live in an area with other Indian families. I would like there not to be Pakistanis in the area because their heritage has different values than Indians' values. I understand I might not find an Indian-only place, but as long as there is an Indian enclave that espouses only American values, that would be good."

See the difference?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
...And there is very little difference between the OP's query and those seeking "gay-friendly" or "progressive" communities. In both cases, the inquirer is seeking to live among like-minded people, and either explicitly or implicitly criticizing those who hold different views.
That is exactly the difference. The difference is whether they are explicity criticizing those who hold different views or don't criticize them at all, no matter what they think in their head.

Last edited by michgc; 07-12-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM

231 posts, read 382,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL that sort of question rarely goes over well on this forum, either. The only time I've seen a question like that be received well was for someone looking for a Jewish neighborhood because he needed a place where he could walk to a synagogue and walk to kosher stores.
This forum as in NoVa or this forum as in CD? I see this question asked all the time in other locality rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or