U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,316,087 times
Reputation: 507

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
This is from 1998! =)

20 Reasons You've Lived In DC Too Long



Number 3 -- You know someone who lives in Annandale.
Number 20 -- You don't think August is really all that hideously hot.

Can we talk about late June and July?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
 
231 posts, read 382,460 times
Reputation: 113
I actually find 1/2 of august (the latter half) to often not be that bad. You're a month from fall equinox; the days are a bit shorter, and it seems to me to be a bit drier (unless a tropical storm comes near). My personal opinion is that July is the worst of the months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,316,087 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
I actually find 1/2 of august (the latter half) to often not be that bad. You're a month from fall equinox; the days are a bit shorter, and it seems to me to be a bit drier (unless a tropical storm comes near). My personal opinion is that July is the worst of the months...
I agree. Unfortunately my vacation is scheduled in August due to the Congress critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,641,918 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Andy's was on LRT near Ravensworth. Kind of like Ledo's Pizza, except better, and a very nice owner (I think he was Lebanese).

Fritzbe's was the predecessor to Silverado's on Columbia Pike. It was jammed with high school and college students in the late 70s and early 80s (due, in part, to the fact that the legal drinking age had not yet been raised to 21). Before there was a Fuddruckers at the CP/Backlick intersection, there was a little restaurant called Three Chefs there.

You really need Car54 for a full-blown trip down memory lane, but it was a fun area to hang around as a teenager, at least when combined with the original Frozen Dairy Bar on Route 50 in Falls Church, the Krisky Kreme on Route 7 (home of both the glazed and dumpster varieties of donuts), the Lake Barcroft beach/barge scene, and the occasional trip to Georgetown.
There's no reason that these parts of Fairfax can't return to being great places, but sometimes when we close our hands to make a fist we let the sand slip through. Holding onto nostalgia when appropriate is great, closing down shop to all new things is a great way to have interest shift elsewhere. The good news is the county and the residents (of which Annandale.blogspot is one and a great advocate for improving the town) are sympathetic towards improving conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Andy's was on LRT near Ravensworth. Kind of like Ledo's Pizza, except better, and a very nice owner (I think he was Lebanese).

Fritzbe's was the predecessor to Silverado's on Columbia Pike. It was jammed with high school and college students in the late 70s and early 80s (due, in part, to the fact that the legal drinking age had not yet been raised to 21). Before there was a Fuddruckers at the CP/Backlick intersection, there was a little restaurant called Three Chefs there.

You really need Car54 for a full-blown trip down memory lane, but it was a fun area to hang around as a teenager, at least when combined with the original Frozen Dairy Bar on Route 50 in Falls Church, the Krisky Kreme on Route 7 (home of both the glazed and dumpster varieties of donuts), the Lake Barcroft beach/barge scene, and the occasional trip to Georgetown.

The first pizza I ever ate was Bill's Pizza on Annandale Rd & Maple Place (a tiny strip 1 block off LRT). He later moved to Columbia Pike (across from the firehouse), and renamed Columbia Pizza. He later sold out to a Lebanese (I think) family. Andy's pizza was better, but Columbia Pizza's steak & cheese was killer. Pizza must be an Americanized thing....both my mom's parents were born in Italy and were fabulous cooks but never attempted to make a pizza, in fact they laughed at the thought of it.

Prior to Fritzbe's and Silverado, an Italian palce named Villa Maria occupied that space. It was a ritual at our house...if it's Thursday night, we were eating at VM. The Bloom was a Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (aka A&P) and was my mom's preferred grocery store


About Annandale "in transition"....of course it is, every place is.

Annandale (and environs) was the Ashburn, Gainesville, etc of the '50s and '60s. It was the "frontier" with plenty of cheap land and eager buyers for brand new single family homes costing $15-25K. One can debate how gracefully the place has aged.

To be honest, I'd hate to see Ashburn in 50 years....when those glorious "brick facades" start crashing to the ground. You do know that the bricks are held in place by 5 cent galvanized clips nailed to particle board? Or that atrocious fake "stucco" on styrofoam....that crap is going to look great in 50 years! Of course, by then, the happenin' counties will Greene or Madison maybe....and people will be asking "is eastern Loudoun dying"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, formerly DC and Phila
8,555 posts, read 12,622,593 times
Reputation: 8315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
As Scooby Do would say "rot row!" We all know bbd, so looks like we've all lived here too long.
But it doesn't say "You know someone online who lives in Annandale" so I think we're safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM
 
4,032 posts, read 4,831,956 times
Reputation: 10600
I live in a house now half a block away from where my sister-in-law lived when she was in high school. She told me that outside the Beltway was all farm fields at that point -- this neighborhood was the far outskirts of DC suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM
 
Location: McLean, VA
448 posts, read 739,697 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Nothing stays the same....I remember when Old Town Alexandria was a slum. Now people pay big money to live down there. Arlington was hardly fashionable either.
Things certainly do not stay the same and I didn't mean to imply that at all. The thing about Old Town is that it is metro accessible at King Street. I know that it would be cost prohibitive right now, but a metro line running from Pentagon City down along Columbia Pike into Annandale would be great. There is no metro accessibility between the Orange line and the Yellow/Blue Line, which is a large gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 PM
 
518 posts, read 1,292,948 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Things certainly do not stay the same and I didn't mean to imply that at all. The thing about Old Town is that it is metro accessible at King Street. I know that it would be cost prohibitive right now, but a metro line running from Pentagon City down along Columbia Pike into Annandale would be great. There is no metro accessibility between the Orange line and the Yellow/Blue Line, which is a large gap.
That was Metro's original plan back in the 60s. Metro to Annandale and beyond. One line went to Burke. A tunnel spur for that unbuilt line still exists near the Pentagon station.

The plan right now is for a streetcar to travel between Old Town and Crystal City, and a connecting line from Crystal City to the Nova campus in Alexandria along Columbia Pike.

There is Metro accessibility between the Orange and Blue/Yellow lines. It's the Blue line through Arlington cemetery that was planned as a suburban connector (so you wouldn't have to transfer downtown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 06:57 PM
 
Location: McLean, VA
448 posts, read 739,697 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
The plan right now is for a streetcar to travel between Old Town and Crystal City, and a connecting line from Crystal City to the Nova campus in Alexandria along Columbia Pike.

I've been keeping up with that project and have spoken to some of the people planning it. It is unlikely to go all the way to the NoVa campus - if it is built at all (see this article). The current plan has it going to the Skyline Towers. And since a lot of federal employees left Skyline, some are even questioning the need to go there. Then others in Arlington fear the traffic congestion a trolley/rail car would create without a dedicated line for the rail cars. And that's not even talking about the construction period. Personally, I like the light rail idea, and I believe that it would be great for the Columbia Pike area, but I am not sure that it will fly in the current environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top