U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM

518 posts, read 1,295,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I've been keeping up with that project and have spoken to some of the people planning it. It is unlikely to go all the way to the NoVa campus - if it is built at all (see this article). The current plan has it going to the Skyline Towers. And since a lot of federal employees left Skyline, some are even questioning the need to go there. Then others in Arlington fear the traffic congestion a trolley/rail car would create without a dedicated line for the rail cars. And that's not even talking about the construction period. Personally, I like the light rail idea, and I believe that it would be great for the Columbia Pike area, but I am not sure that it will fly in the current environment.
If the county board approves it (next week I think?) it will happen. Only two board members are leaning no, but that's not enough votes to kill it. It will very likely happen, but when is anyone's guess. I think the Potomac Yards line to the Alexandria border will happen first, according to the articles I read. Alexandria prefers busses to the streetcar idea, so there will be some kind of transfer. The streetcar should be running after 2015 but before 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 PM

939 posts, read 1,608,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I passed through Annandale today in the Columbia Pike/Little River Turnpike area and noticed that several places have shuttered and it seems that the area is on the down swing. The Fuddrucker's was closed, the Bloom Grocery was closed and a few other spots were shuttered.

I don't want to come to any conclusions based on a single visit, but I got the impression of an area on the decline. Am I wrong? Are there some plans for this area?
I think both Fuddruckers and Bloom are having issues, almost every location I've seen (regardless of location) is either struggling or going out of business. Shame about Fuddruckers, I like that place.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 PM

258 posts, read 770,841 times
I went to visit my parents in 7 corners (which I think is not the greatest)- I took my kids *as a treat* to McD's in Annandale and a woman who looked homeless asked me in broken English if I needed a nanny. I think it's getting rougher for the 10 years I've been here as an adult (lived in Alexandria for HS).

Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 AM

43 posts, read 52,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I think both Fuddruckers and Bloom are having issues, almost every location I've seen (regardless of location) is either struggling or going out of business. Shame about Fuddruckers, I like that place.
That's true for Fuddruckers, the only ones I know of that are still open is the one in Chinatown and the one in Fairfax City. The location in Woodbridge closed around 2 years ago. It sucks because I like Fuddruckers burgers better than any in the area including Ray's and Five Guys.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,851,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter2d View Post
That's true for Fuddruckers, the only ones I know of that are still open is the one in Chinatown and the one in Fairfax City. The location in Woodbridge closed around 2 years ago. It sucks because I like Fuddruckers burgers better than any in the area including Ray's and Five Guys.
The Fuddruckers on Duke Street just east of Foxchase is still open.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM

8,789 posts, read 10,705,766 times
although I am not a huge fan of fuddruckers, it will be missed - I am not THAT old, we DO eat at the Korean places, but sometimes one would like a change, without leaving the neighborhood. The number of dining options that are neither Korean nor fast food continue to shrink.

Now the Korean places DO add an ethinic character that makes Annandale distinctive from most of NoVa (which has many immigrants, but few ethnic neighborhoods). Somehow Annandale, living here, doesn't feel as ethnic as you'd think. I think that has a lot to do with not having many Koreans actually living here - they mostly all drive in from Centreville, etc for the businesses. I think thats why (I would say the fact that its not pedestrian friendly also makes it feel blander than it should otherwise be, but I realize that may just be me).

I don't see it on the upswing or downswing now. Its an aging suburb, but for now its held up by the strength of the region. What happens to it if and when the regions economic health recedes, I do not know. On the one hand it has many of the weakneses of older suburbs (which I will not belabor) but OTOH, once the beltway HOT lanes are complete, it will have very good access to Tysons once again, and the county has plans, IIUC, for improving bus service (at least marginally).

A complete turn around will rely on the rebuilding of LRT, improved transit access, and densification of at least the commercial center. I don't expect any of those to happen soon - there is too much competion right now from better situated areas for the "urban walkable" market, and I think its going to be a long time before we get much better transit here (I do not see light rail being extended down lightly populated Columbia Pike - more like we will someday get a transitway on LRT to connect to the Beauregard transitway). The reconstruction of LRT and related improvements is planned by the County, but no funding or timeline. Meanwhile the County is prioritizing the widening of Rte 7 in Great Falls.

NIMBYISM? Eh. No one I am aware of is really against densification in the commercial center. There are battles over minor infill developments in some SFH home areas (which would remain SFHs, but on slightly more smaller lots). I don't think those are important enough (or well located enough) increments to density to justify calling opposition to it NIMBYISM.

what would really make the area interesting would be KOREAN densification - a high rise that would particularly appeal to Koreans who want to live closer in than Centreville, and don't need houses, and can afford something costlier than the older apts in the area.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM

254 posts, read 363,344 times
I went to Annandale HS. It looks about the same. Looking at it 10 years from when I graduated from and 2 universities later makes you realize how small it is though. I drove by it for the first time in years earlier this year and was like .

Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 PM

857 posts, read 1,003,047 times
Honestly, I don't see Annandale any differently than I see other parts of NoVA in and around the beltway like Springfield, Bailey's Xroads, Landmark, RT. 1, Seven Corners, Fairfax City, even parts of Arlington. Many parts of this area are old and kinda run down. The only cool thing about Annandale that differentiates it is the Korean influence which makes it neat and it isn't too much of an eyesore, though the road construction is infuriating. It could def. use more dining options.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 PM

44 posts, read 61,372 times
Well Annandale will never 'die'. It's retail area fills the population between Springfield, Landmark, Fairfax City, and Seven Corners. It will redevelop and things will come and go, but without mass transit and high density buildings, it will probably never be a Tysons/Clarendon area. With the increase of property values and rental rates in the area, I'm sure that higher-end places will eventually move in and the area will continue to transition slowly.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:53 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,834,370 times
A very high percentage of folks can't come to the DC area and search for the best area. They have to find the best area that they can afford (or a mortgage broker tells them they can afford). If (someone pointed a gun at me) and said you must choose between an 800 SF condo in Arlington and a 2000 SF SFR on a 11,000 sf lot in Annandale; I would absolutely take the SFR in the Dale. And yes it is like Springfield, in that the farther out you go; the more clean and modern it is...and more expensive. What if your kids got into Jefferson? The Koreans would be the least of my problems living in Annandale. Moderator Cut: Off-Topic.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-18-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia