Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times

Advertisements

I dont think annandale is dying, I think it is grappling with its older residents who dont want to let go of the past, and a future wave of younger residents who would be interested in the affordability of the area but see it as unfriendly towards anything new.

I think some of the Baileys/SevenCorners/Merrifield style conceptualization will begin to get through as generationally it will become a lot easier to incorporate over the next decade. Nothing massive or high rise, but just some better concepts on how to integrate more residents along side of retail which when you create this inherent consumer base you start seeing small shops returning to an area. I have always found lighting and pedestrian access to be a big problem in Annandale, and its not even "big roads" as the issue its just oh we forgot to put a sidewalk here, or oh that parking lot is blocking access from point A to B.

We'll see, location is everything and eventually enough incentive will be in place for change, just depends where it falls in the list of good investments at the current moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
I went to visit a friend in Annandale a couple of years ago and in driving through the neighborhood passed a house that had a huge display in the front yard of Jesus Christ. I felt sorry for the neighbors. I guess things like that happen all over but I honestly don't remember ever seeing anything so tacky anywhere else and I've lived in NOVA my whole life. Let's just say I've never thought of Annandale as a particularly desirable place to live.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I dont think annandale is dying, I think it is grappling with its older residents who dont want to let go of the past, and a future wave of younger residents who would be interested in the affordability of the area but see it as unfriendly towards anything new.

I think some of the Baileys/SevenCorners/Merrifield style conceptualization will begin to get through as generationally it will become a lot easier to incorporate over the next decade. Nothing massive or high rise, but just some better concepts on how to integrate more residents along side of retail which when you create this inherent consumer base you start seeing small shops returning to an area. I have always found lighting and pedestrian access to be a big problem in Annandale, and its not even "big roads" as the issue its just oh we forgot to put a sidewalk here, or oh that parking lot is blocking access from point A to B.

We'll see, location is everything and eventually enough incentive will be in place for change, just depends where it falls in the list of good investments at the current moment.
If you'd lived in Annandale 30 years ago, you'd be nostalgic for Andy's Pizza and Fritzbe's, too.

Quite honestly, Annandale doesn't seem to me to be one of those places where older residents are overtly NIMBY. If anything, long-time residents there seem to be among the most active in trying to secure county funds to improve the infrastructure and the walkability of the central area.

Last edited by JD984; 07-13-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I went to visit a friend in Annandale a couple of years ago and in driving through the neighborhood passed a house that had a huge display in the front yard of Jesus Christ. I felt sorry for the neighbors. I guess things like that happen all over but I honestly don't remember ever seeing anything so tacky anywhere else and I've lived in NOVA my whole life. Let's just say I've never thought of Annandale as a particularly desirable place to live.
Hey, that "aim big" approach worked out pretty well in Medjugorje for at least a few years.

My own local favorite was the storefront in Arlington (don't know if it's still there) off Wilson Boulevard that used to offer "Indian Spices and Appliances." It was always tempting to go in and ask for the curry/toaster combo.

Tacky can be off-putting, but a little quirky never hurt anyone. A large display of religious fervor would concern me less than a paved-over front yard with six cars and a delivery truck.

Last edited by JD984; 07-13-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Tacky can be off-putting, but a little quirky never hurt anyone.
That's the way I see it. It's the quirky little things like that that gives us a bit of personality. And if you think about it, that's the big complaint we usually hear--that Northern VA is mostly new communities with chain stores and thus "no personality."

Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Quote:
Hey, that "aim big" approach worked out pretty well in Medjugorje for at least a few years.

My own local favorite was the storefront in Arlington (don't know if it's still there) off Wilson Boulevard that used to offer "Indian Spices and Appliances." It was always tempting to go in and ask for the curry/toaster combo.

Tacky can be off-putting, but a little quirky never hurt anyone.
Off topic...my personal fav funny business is the Wong Kok asian restaurant out in South Riding.

Yeah the massive JC display certainly didn't hurt anyone, and probably provided some entertainment to passers by. Just glad I didn't live next to it

Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 AM

92 posts, read 201,683 times
This is from 1998! =)

20 Reasons You've Lived In DC Too Long

Number 3 -- You know someone who lives in Annandale.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
If you'd lived in Annandale 30 years ago, you'd be nostalgic for Andy's Pizza and Fritzbe's, too.

Quite honestly, Annandale doesn't seem to me to be one of those places where older residents are overtly NIMBY. If anything, long-time residents there seem to be among the most active in trying to secure county funds to improve the infrastructure and the walkability of the central area.
I lived there from 1985 to 1987... nearing 30 years, but I dont remember those specific places (lived off Heritage). We usually ended up at Fuddruckers for special occasions, but we were dirt poor back then so mostly ate family dinners of beans and rice with some past due chicken

Old 07-13-2012, 10:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
This is from 1998! =)

20 Reasons You've Lived In DC Too Long

Number 3 -- You know someone who lives in Annandale.
As Scooby Do would say "rot row!" We all know bbd, so looks like we've all lived here too long.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I lived there from 1985 to 1987... nearing 30 years, but I dont remember those specific places (lived off Heritage). We usually ended up at Fuddruckers for special occasions, but we were dirt poor back then so mostly ate family dinners of beans and rice with some past due chicken
Andy's was on LRT near Ravensworth. Kind of like Ledo's Pizza, except better, and a very nice owner (I think he was Lebanese).

Fritzbe's was the predecessor to Silverado's on Columbia Pike. It was jammed with high school and college students in the late 70s and early 80s (due, in part, to the fact that the legal drinking age had not yet been raised to 21). Before there was a Fuddruckers at the CP/Backlick intersection, there was a little restaurant called Three Chefs there.

You really need Car54 for a full-blown trip down memory lane, but it was a fun area to hang around as a teenager, at least when combined with the original Frozen Dairy Bar on Route 50 in Falls Church, the Krisky Kreme on Route 7 (home of both the glazed and dumpster varieties of donuts), the Lake Barcroft beach/barge scene, and the occasional trip to Georgetown.

Last edited by JD984; 07-13-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia