Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:35 PM

15 posts, read 41,267 times

Advertisements

I've heard that the public housing units in Old town are being replace by apartments and townhomes. Where do you think this people will move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM

231 posts, read 453,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lati85 View Post
I've heard that the public housing units in Old town are being replace by apartments and townhomes. Where do you think this people will move?
West End - off Beaureagard.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM

270 posts, read 906,551 times
The City is moving to "scattered site" public housing spread at multiple smaller sites throughout Alexandria. Some units are even in the new upscale developments.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM

290 posts, read 545,772 times
kevbros is correct, there is a law prohibiting getting rid of public housing units. So they are being replaced. As he said, the new developments you see that have replaced the public housing complexes have a percentage of the units as public housing units. So it's a mix of normal private market-rate units and public housing units all in the same development. And you can't tell the difference from the outside. And for the public housing residents, they get a brand new, clean, and up-to-date place to live.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

939 posts, read 1,886,740 times
Anyone hear about the new condo development on the water? They're converting an old office building into condos ranging from 950K-3.9 Million. The 950K models will start at 1600 Square Feet. Don't remember the office building, but it looks like steps so each unit will have a huge balcony and be one floor.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM

270 posts, read 906,551 times
That must be the one that overlooks Oronoco Park along the Mount Vernon bike trail. Fantastic location and views. We got a flyer in the mail about a grand opening for the sales office later this month. I think it's gonna be called the Oronoco.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,155,909 times
Why are public housing residents in Alexandria so ethnically homeogeneous? Is poverty here isolated to one group? Surely there must be poor immigrants or others who would be eligible.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,563,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why are public housing residents in Alexandria so ethnically homeogeneous? Is poverty here isolated to one group? Surely there must be poor immigrants or others who would be eligible.
The units stay within a family as much as possible. It started as a way to avoid disrupting any stability a household may have, but has resulted in some folks working the system so that generations keep the same place instead of using that stability to move up and out.

The building being redone is the old Sheetmetal Workers building. It's going to be re-skinned as part of the process. I work nearby. There's a small townhouse office park that has models of the new condo units in it.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,155,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The units stay within a family as much as possible. It started as a way to avoid disrupting any stability a household may have, but has resulted in some folks working the system so that generations keep the same place instead of using that stability to move up and out.
Seems like it would be better if they were used to accommodate folks in temporary straits, with perhaps a one or two year limit. I think spreading them around the city is a good idea. Perhaps with their relocation the current practices should be revisited.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 61,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think spreading them around the city is a good idea.
I wonder how the guy who just dropped a few 100k on a condo or apartment next to the public housing apartment feels about this haha.

I understand they need to move em someplace, and I'm all for public housing, but its one of those things where'd I definitely like to know ahead of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia