U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 PM

3,916 posts, read 5,372,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Perhaps you're right, but since she likely can't afford Dupont, the other options near Dulles are very suburban. That's why I put Winchester on the table with qualifiers that it's a small city. I think it's a bit bigger than Mayberry. I think of Middleburg being more Mayberryish.
You're right but Middleburg is too sophisticated Hunt County to be Mayberry.

Purcellville is more like Mayberry so Winchester must be Mount Pilot. LOL. But none compare to Dupont/Georgetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,540,450 times
I think the best balance is Reston Town Center.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 AM

837 posts, read 1,617,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FA_dulles_bound View Post
hi!!

im considering an option we have to relocate from my current base in EWR to IAD...im in my early twenties and have only lived in florida and new jersey and just want to experience somewhere while i still have nothing holding me down...
...ive been do the dupont/georgetown area and i absolutely fell in love, however i am aware that until the metro eventually reaches IAD, that commute would be out of the question for me lol

where would you guys recommend i take a look at?? im early twenties, so possibly a yuppie type/college grad town within a 45 minute commute to the airport? (no more than 2 hours with traffic preferably)

any and all honest and open suggestions and opinions welcome PLEASE!!

thank you!!!
Did we meet? Continental metal, July 10th, DCA to SFO with a reserve crew due to the others going illegal? We talked about smisek, your plan to move to IAD from EWR and how disjointed the merger was...if so, thanks again for coming in for that trip

Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
Wouldn't the best thing be to ask the other FAs who live around here?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:05 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,236,786 times
Lightbulb Share condo?

I know a many younger workers who double and triple up in Ballston. The group of three lives in the nicest high rise condo that I've seen in a while. Crazy rent but they split it and it has three bedrooms. Maybe a solid option in order to live in the most coveted location.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM

50 posts, read 61,061 times
Since your young you may want to look around Ashburn, its not far to the Reston Town Center a good night Life Area and then your only 35 - 40 min to head downtown, or less if you just drive to a metro and take the rail into the city for a safer night out.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 AM

687 posts, read 1,132,344 times
How about a condo in the Fair Lakes area? Lots of restaurants and stores in the area and you are really close to Dulles.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,336,129 times
FYI, there is a bus that goes from Rossyln in Arlington and L Enfant Plaza to Dulles Airport with minimal stops. It is called the 5A metrobus. Just google it for the schedule to see if it can work for you. It is meant for employees of the airport, but increasingly been used by passengers in the know.

It is still a pain for a daily commute, but it is an option.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:53 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,917,812 times
Ha, god I envy you.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM

513 posts, read 807,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'll just throw this out there as a possibility. I know someone who is a pilot out of Dulles and moved to Winchester. It's a bit of a commute - probably an hour, but if you are working only a few days per week or off hours, it might not be too bad. It's much more affordable than closer in to DC and is its own city. However, it is a bit of a mountain city, so it does have a small-town vibe to it - much different than Georgetown, but a small city in its own right. There is a university (Shenandoah University) there, and is not a suburb full of only families. Might be worth checking out.
Winchester? Talk about Green Acreas. TS said she wanted a college/singles area. I would suggest Reston. Very close to Dulles and you get downtown fairly quickly once rush hour is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia