Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,644 times

Advertisements

hi!!

im considering an option we have to relocate from my current base in EWR to IAD...im in my early twenties and have only lived in florida and new jersey and just want to experience somewhere while i still have nothing holding me down...
...ive been do the dupont/georgetown area and i absolutely fell in love, however i am aware that until the metro eventually reaches IAD, that commute would be out of the question for me lol

where would you guys recommend i take a look at?? im early twenties, so possibly a yuppie type/college grad town within a 45 minute commute to the airport? (no more than 2 hours with traffic preferably)

any and all honest and open suggestions and opinions welcome PLEASE!!

thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
The main issue for you (and for most others who have posted similar threads here--check them out!) will be budget. The areas you fell in love with appeal to a lot of other people too, and are among the most expensive in the entire country, not just in this area. There are a lot of couples with two professional incomes and lots of demand for close-in desirable housing. Other similar areas (such as Clarendon) that might work better for your commute are similarly expensive.

So -- have you thought about (a) how much you want to/are able to spend; and (b) whether you are willing to share a place with at least one roommate? There may be possibilities west of Dulles; prices are higher the closer you get to the jobs in DC and Tysons.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:28 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
The only areas that close to IAD are full of families rather than young singles. Now you can get to IAD in 20 minutes from Arlington (via the airport-traffic-only lanes) but it's going to cost you probably more than you're willing to pay.

Honestly, I would consider another base location. So many other places in the USA will get you more of what you're looking for, for less money. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
There is a growing number of young near Reston Town Center and Herndon. All depends on your budget. It's not nearly as urban as Dupont/Georgetown but as noted above, those areas are very expensive.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I'll just throw this out there as a possibility. I know someone who is a pilot out of Dulles and moved to Winchester. It's a bit of a commute - probably an hour, but if you are working only a few days per week or off hours, it might not be too bad. It's much more affordable than closer in to DC and is its own city. However, it is a bit of a mountain city, so it does have a small-town vibe to it - much different than Georgetown, but a small city in its own right. There is a university (Shenandoah University) there, and is not a suburb full of only families. Might be worth checking out.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM

231 posts, read 455,656 times
Why relocate when you can simply deadhead to your base? Since you're clearly United (or an Express affiliate of United), there shouldn't be too much trouble simply commuting to your base to start a trip. Pilots and more senior FAs do that all the time.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'll just throw this out there as a possibility. I know someone who is a pilot out of Dulles and moved to Winchester. It's a bit of a commute - probably an hour, but if you are working only a few days per week or off hours, it might not be too bad. It's much more affordable than closer in to DC and is its own city. However, it is a bit of a mountain city, so it does have a small-town vibe to it - much different than Georgetown, but a small city in its own right. There is a university (Shenandoah University) there, and is not a suburb full of only families. Might be worth checking out.

Winchester is a wonderful place . . . if you're looking for Mayberry. For a young, single who liked the vibe of Dupont. . . I don't think so.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Winchester is a wonderful place . . . if you're looking for Mayberry. For a young, single who liked the vibe of Dupont. . . I don't think so.
Perhaps you're right, but since she likely can't afford Dupont, the other options near Dulles are very suburban. That's why I put Winchester on the table with qualifiers that it's a small city. I think it's a bit bigger than Mayberry. I think of Middleburg being more Mayberryish.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,644 times
thanks for responding!!
i could commute back and forth between bases, but its just such a headache, and wanting to get the experience of living somewhere new is my main goal. and we don't commute positive space (deadhead is only for an actual working pairing/trip), i would have to go standby which is never guaranteed :/
this is still something im making a decision on, i plan on visiting the area next month and i wanted to get advice from everywhere here on places to take a look at!
i will research further the places you guys mentioned!!
my mom used to live in the alexandria area herself when she worked at dulles, but she just hated the commute

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM

231 posts, read 455,656 times
I'm aware that commuting to base on your own is going to require DHing....That being said, if you're in the New York area, there are TONS of flights to pick from if you get in a pinch. You may not get to IAD, but you will get into the area. Both US and DL offer hourly shuttle service to DCA from LGA. AA flies frequently to DCA from JFK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia