Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,103 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Washington, DC for five years and lived in 2 apt place in the area (Connecticut Heights in the Van Ness area until the rent became ridiculous and the Cameron in ss for the last two years.)

I just got engaged to my girlfriend and we are looking to move in a new place . I'm working in Beltsville, MD and she is working in Alexandria,Va. That professional situation makes it complicated . IF it wasnt complicated enough she's making it more difficult by being cheap.

We are looking for an appartment/condo/home to rent in a safe and clean area that would limit our commute to 30-45 mn a trip . I figured out congress heights is a good midpoint but I have serious doubt about the safety of this area.

Our budget is $1500-2000 for rent . So what area will you advise us . A place near the highway will be ideal in order to reduce commuting.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Washington or the immediate suburbs are considered at this time.

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Since you're posting in the Northern Virginia forum , it sounds like you're willing to bite the bullet on the commute. If so, I'd suggest looking at some high-rises that are right outside the Alexandria city limits in the unincorporated "South" Alexandria section of Fairfax County: Huntington Gateway, Riverside, Cityside and maybe condo rentals at Midtown Alexandria. HG and Riverside might be considered "luxury" apartments while Cityside might appeal most to your girlfriend's sensibilities. Midtown Alexandria is only a few years old; you would have to do some research to see what owners are renting out their units.

You'd be right off the Beltway via the Woodrow Wilson Bridge as well as moments from the Huntington Metro station. The immediate area is not that exciting but you're a 5-10 minute drive to Old Town Alexandria and the waterfront with the Mount Vernon Trail that is popular with runners and bikers. Most of your typical midscale retail and restaurant needs will be taken care of further south on admittedly clogged Route 1/Richmond Highway.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Does she use Metro to work? If yes, you're better off in Maryland (Silver Spring, for example)or DC. If no, then... well, I agree, you got a problem. I'm not sure where to suggest in that situation. I used to live in Beltsville, and I also once used to live in the Alexandria portion of Fairfax County, near Huntington. Actually, that area might work if you cross the Wilson Bridge and commute using 295 north up to the Beltsville area.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 AM

48 posts, read 52,434 times
"Alexandria" describes a large area. It would be helpful to know where in Alexandria.

FWIW, I live in Alexandria not far from the Huntington area Tone509 describes. I commute around the eastern side of the Beltway to Beltsville to work. It takes about 30-40 minutes unless traffic is bad. You could find a halfway spot on the Beltway in PG County that could get you to Beltsville in 20 minutes. I sometimes see backups on the inner loop going into VA from PG county in the morning so, depending on where in Alexandria you GF works, it might take her longer to get to work. PG County will be less expensive than Fairfax, VA, but will probably be less fun, and harder to get into parts of DC you may now frequent. If you are contemplating having kids, I would suggest that I'd rather have kids in the Ffx schools than PG.

If money is tight and you don't like long commutes, I would avoid making the halfway point on the Beltway somewhere on the Western side of the Beltway. Tysons will be expensive and the traffic between I-95 in VA and Rockville, MD can be pretty awful.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 AM

11 posts, read 15,328 times
Look at renting a condo on Eisenhower Ave in Alexandria (The Exchange at Van Dorn) (there is an apt complex on the same street, I think it's called the Reserve on Eisenhower, but I'm not sure). It's super easy to get to 495. We lived at the Exchange for 2 years and loved it.

Deprecated Browser Error

Here's one in the Huntington area--
Deprecated Browser Error

Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM

11 posts, read 15,328 times
Deprecated Browser Error

Deprecated Browser Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia