U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 AM

50 posts, read 60,870 times

Advertisements

your going to miss the pizza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,863,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerchimps View Post
Just another quick update: we went from zero to owning in four days on a tiny little bungalow in historic Leesburg. It was bewildering, serendipitous, and just plain wonderful. And we couldn't have done it without the help of a handful of you and one in particular—one who is totes going to regret it all when we show up on her porch every afternoon.

Thanks for all the insight!
Great, welcome to Leesburg!

The historic Tally Ho will become a performing arts venue, hopefully something like the Weinberg in Frederick. Hopefully the "off days" would have things like indie movies, niche openings (for example I can see "geek" type movies packing the house for midinght showings), etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,849,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1023 View Post
your going to miss the pizza
I think Sal's has a new location in Leesburg.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,863,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I think Sal's has a new location in Leesburg.
the place has been closed for several months now.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
the place has been closed for several months now.
Oh, really? That's too bad... for folks looking for NY-style pizza in Leesburg.

The Ashburn location is still up and running, right?

Thankfully, Tony's is still going strong...

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,334,258 times
I lived for years in Reston, twice actually. Its a planned community, built as a bed room burb so lots to chose from but expensive. I moved out west to Philomont, horse country and commuted on the Greenway and toll rd into my office in Reston, one fast hour. If you can pick yr times its doable otherwise rush hour is start and stop on the toll rd. fast on the greenway then start and stop on Rte 7, Leesburg/Purcellville. Beautiful out on the Blueridge. That country last I was there was invaded by the Asian stink bug which actually drove me out of VA. Nasty unkillable pest. Invades homes, attracted to light, and body heat at night. year round problem. Most folks living on a budget working in NOVA live in Maryland, lots cheaper. But there is only one bridge into MD from Northern Va and lots of rush hour traffic. There is maybe 4 hours a day that the traffic is less than a killer. And there are definitely ugly winters in NOVA 1 out of every 4 years.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM

79 posts, read 100,791 times
The "Brooklyn feel" is tragically non-existent in the DC metropolitan area.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
Not so tragic since the "Brooklyn feel" is existent in... Brooklyn. However, if you are feeling the "Leesburg feel," the op should be very happy in... Leesburg.

BTW, I grew up in NYC long before Giuliani's mayoral tenure and back then "the Brooklyn feel" as such wasn't so hip.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,683,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post

I'd say there are parts of Capitol Hill that feel a lot like say, Park Slope.

Theres more to Greater DC than NoVa, and more to Brooklyn than Greenpoint/Williamsburg/Clinton. Even now.

And I too grew up in Brooklyn before giuliani - in fact when Lindsay and Abe Beame were mayor. The feel of where I lived - mostly jewish (and most of the rest Italian-American) but not Orthodox, lower middle class, and definitely urban (yet oddly bucolic) not only is not found in greater DC, its not found in NYC anymore, and AFAICT, not anywhere in North America. Oh, the world we have lost.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,622,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I'd say there are parts of Capitol Hill that feel a lot like say, Park Slope.

Theres more to Greater DC than NoVa, and more to Brooklyn than Greenpoint/Williamsburg/Clinton. Even now.

And I too grew up in Brooklyn before giuliani - in fact when Lindsay and Abe Beame were mayor. The feel of where I lived - mostly jewish (and most of the rest Italian-American) but not Orthodox, lower middle class, and definitely urban (yet oddly bucolic) not only is not found in greater DC, its not found in NYC anymore, and AFAICT, not anywhere in North America. Oh, the world we have lost.
You could always change your name to "Spike of Annandale":

Spike of Bensonhurst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The concept of worlds lost is not unique to Brooklyn or NYC; between us, Car54 and I - perhaps with an assist or two from Caladium - could probably come up with an idyllic version of Arlington and Fairfax in the 70s (a place where kids could ride bikes freely with few parental worries, and no helmets in sight; Annandale HS was a football juggernaut; and every worker was a "day laborer" since nights were spent at home with the family). The tricky part of that is that NoVa was far less diverse at that time, so celebrating that era runs the risk of being perceived as retrograde.

Of course, if automatic cuts in the defense budget are allowed to take effect, perhaps the Post will be running a local headline soon reminiscent of the famous "Ford to City: Drop Dead" headline of 1975 - "[Obama]/[Romney] to Suburbs: Drop Dead."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or