Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Improvement Does Tysons Need First?
Boone Boulevard Extension 0 0%
Scott’s Run Crossing 3 25.00%
Springhill/International Drive 3 25.00%
Solutions Drive connection 1 8.33%
Chain Bridge Road connection 4 33.33%
Another project 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times

Advertisements

A poll for the community which I brought up in an article; (when you've answered please note where you live also and your rational for which project you chose)

With so many projects necessary to make Tysons Corner a residential hub instead of an office park on steroids, its difficult to know what is important in the early process and what could be delayed. Many , as it was out of scope with the intent of Tysons Corner redevelopment by inducing more commuter traffic, and would damage one of the most stable residential neighborhoods of the new city. So as a community what do we want? Yes we want it to be more walkable and yes we want better connections between point A and point B. Tell us what you think is needed first.
  1. Boone Boulevard Extension (without ramp and preserving Raglan Park). This project could help provide a safe alternative to biking or walking down Route 7. As long as the road section is not mega-sized due to Dulles Toll Road offloading, the new bike lanes and pedestrian walk paths could help residents get to metro, retail and office space along Boone and Route 7.

2. Scott's Run Crossing... crossing. If you have ever seen the ridiculous queue occurring at the left turn from Westpark Drive onto Tysons Boulevard to get to 495 (or sometimes the spill over to the Westpark Bridge) you would know that a lot of this could be avoided if there was a connection behind the Capital One site. It also allows those trying to avoid the 495 havoc to find an alternate path down Route 123. Additionally this connection could potentially provide a walk and bike access to the Capital One office/future residential neighborhood as well as the Cityline Scotts Run Crossing project.
  3. Springhill/International Drive to Dulles Toll Road improvement. While the County and VDOT want to keep on building new and shiny things, this on ramp which is a daily nightmare along the major vehicular corridor of International Drive which serves thousands of commuters has been largely ignored. The*disastrous stop light intersection which stifles traffic flow causes back ups that some days can reach as far back as Greensboro Drive. We could avoid the need for more ramps near Route 7 if this existing right of way and ramp system were improved to provide greater capacity without detriment to residents (as this corridor is already designated as an arterial vehicular priority path).
  4. Solutions Drive connection between Greensboro and Route 7. Many have pointed out that most commuters might be willing to use the Silver Line if they could be assured of a safe walk path from the Route 7 station to the office locations, many of which are located on Greensboro Drive. This connection does just that and avoids forcing commuters to walk along the dangerous Route 7 corridor.
  5. Chain Bridge Road connection through Commons of McLean. A lot of residents live within walking distance of the McLean silver line station. Unfortunately it requires an out of the way walk through the Mitre property, or a dangerous and unprotected walk along Route 123 in order to access the station. This connection would provide a bicycle and pedestrian safe path for thousands of residents and connects future projects such as Scotts Run Crossing to the existing retail and grocery store (Safeway) located behind Commons of McLean.
  6. Another project. There is so much construction going on in the area and there are plenty of other needs. Tell us if you see a problem that needs a solution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
I don't have an answer because all I know about Tyson's is that I drive through it every day down 7 from Sterling to Gallows Rd (I work in Merrifield), and there's enough freaking construction going on already. I think the best improvement they could make is NOT opening freaking WALMART right there - I shudder to think of how that is going to impact traffic!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
To be honest, the first thing I'd like to see is a long break before any more construction projects are done in Tysons. Maybe after several years they can undertake one of these--since I'd like to see a long break first, my answer would be to see what the greatest need is after a few years have passed.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Id note that all of these projects are outside of the "corridor of commuters" or the tunnels of death as I like to call them if you arent in a car. So no impact to traffic, these are all either new road connections (in grassy areas) or pedestrian/bike improvements, not megaprojects. Only one that might have impact would be the Springhill/267 interchange, in which case yes definitely dont vote for that one if you dont want traffic impacted on International

Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Can this area fit anymore roads?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times
I voted for #3: Springhill/International Drive to Dulles Toll Road improvement

I live in Sterling now, but until last February I used to live on the intersection of Jones Branch Dr. and International Dr. That whole area is a huge bottleneck. I remember seeing the enormous line of cars backed up from my window. For as long as I lived there, I knew I was trapped in Tysons Corner for the duration of rush hour, no way to get in or out of my apartment, because the traffic was just insane.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
I voted for #3: Springhill/International Drive to Dulles Toll Road improvement

I live in Sterling now, but until last February I used to live on the intersection of Jones Branch Dr. and International Dr. That whole area is a huge bottleneck. I remember seeing the enormous line of cars backed up from my window. For as long as I lived there, I knew I was trapped in Tysons Corner for the duration of rush hour, no way to get in or out of my apartment, because the traffic was just insane.
When I see traffic in Tysons, I walk... usually faster than the drivers

Dunno when you moved but I can tell you traffic is noticeably better over the past year except on International and Route 7. Odd thing is, it has to do with the lessening of construction from Silver Line and HOT lanes, not any actual improvements on any of the roads.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM

231 posts, read 455,471 times
I vote for the hydrogen bomb option.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Yes well, I'll keep my eye to the sky for that one, its a good thing I always walk around with my trusty lead shielded radiation suit.

I'll let the other 120,000 people in Tysons everyday know of the impending mass destruction. Any ideas on how to make back the 30 million dollars per month in revenue from real estate and sales taxes?

Thanks

Old 07-21-2012, 04:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Odd thing is, it has to do with the lessening of construction from Silver Line and HOT lanes, not any actual improvements on any of the roads.
Not odd to me. Traffic construction projects have a way of making traffic worse in an entire general area, not just the street that's being worked on. In a dense area like Tysons it can impact traffic for quite a distance. That's why I think people in that area need a break from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia