U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,622,593 times

Advertisements

Curious, how do they confirm that you are picking someone up at the airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 PM

219 posts, read 410,469 times
One thing worth mentioning is that the MWAA rules about "airport business" apply on the Dulles Toll Road -- but in this case you were not on the Dulles Toll Road, you were on I-66. VDOT decides what the rules are on I-66, not MWAA. It could be that your receipt from the gas station would have gotten you out of trouble if you were stopped on the Toll Road, but not if you were stopped on 66.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 13,473 times
I will go ahead and just pay the fine. Seems like the earlier HOV policy conflicts with this link from VDOT. Its a gray area when it comes to "airport business".

High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes - Rules and FAQs

Exceptions to the rules
2. Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 13,473 times
I will just pay the fine but seems like there is a conflict in policy by VDOT.

"http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp"

Exceptions to the rules
2. Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,048,102 times
Pay the fine..Mine was double yours when I got stopped. I was wondering why 66 was so free and clear during rush hour!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uudan View Post
I will just pay the fine but seems like there is a conflict in policy by VDOT.

"http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-rulesfaq.asp"

Exceptions to the rules
Clearly the judge does not interpret "on business" as stopping in at the gas station only. Loophole closed. Others be warned.

(Though, as someone mentioned earlier, this loophole may only be closed on I-66 - it's not clear about the actual Access Road itself)

As far as my question about "state law" earlier - I was not looking for a technical escape clause necessarily. Obviously every single speed limit is not written into the code, but rather they allow VDOT to set those speed limits and then those are the law. I suppose a similar policy definition by VDOT of "airport business" becomes law too.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Here's the rule:
High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Systems
Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport to go to the airport to catch a flight or to pick someone up at the airport are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway (I-495) during HOV hours. Motorists traveling to or from Dulles International Airport are not exempt from HOV restrictions on I-66 outside the Beltway (I-495). You are not permitted to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV hours if you are going to the airport to eat, get coffee, get gas or any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up at the airport.
Interesting change. I have one question. Let's say I drop off someone at Dulles. Can I use the Airport Access road and I 66 on the return trip home? I don't see that in the rule. It says "picking someone up".

Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM

771 posts, read 1,204,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Curious, how do they confirm that you are picking someone up at the airport?
The person you are picking up probably has a boarding pass.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM

11,368 posts, read 20,163,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Interesting change. I have one question. Let's say I drop off someone at Dulles. Can I use the Airport Access road and I 66 on the return trip home? I don't see that in the rule. It says "picking someone up".
NO! Read the post from Christine!

Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport to go to the airport to catch a flight or to pick someone up at the airport are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway (I-495) during HOV hours. Motorists traveling to or from Dulles International Airport are not exempt from HOV restrictions on I-66 outside the Beltway (I-495). You are not permitted to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV hours if you are going to the airport to eat, get coffee, get gas or any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up at the airport

Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM

231 posts, read 382,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
The person you are picking up probably has a boarding pass.
Not necessarily. A lot of boarding passes can be done via Smartphone. Once I've landed I delete the email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia