U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 PM

37 posts, read 2,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCORLEONE View Post
My company has asked me to relocate to northern Virginia, as we move our U.S. headquarters to Herndon.

I'm scheduled to fly out to the DC metro to look at communities I would be interested in living in. I'm 28, male, very outgoing and single...so to me I would like to live in a safe and happening area, where there are a good number of young (24-35) single professional women. By happenning area i mean people are actually out and about and having a good time, lots of bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Since I won't know anyone when I move, I would also like to be in an area that allows me to meet a lot of people.

What areas in North Virginia would meet this criteria. I don't mind commute time if its less than 45 minutes. I'm looking to purchase a 1 bedroom condo or a small townhouse.

Thanks for all your help. I need all the help and advice I can get.

Curiously, about how many people is your company bringing to the N.VA area?

I imagine VW N.A. has a sizeable staff, so how many are taking the transfer option?? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 AM

21 posts, read 86,522 times
VW/Audi of America will be relocating 400 jobs to Herndon. I believe roughly 80 individuals have been asked to relocate, and by my estimation about 40 people will probably move.

The issue with people moving is the housing costs. Most people here in Michigan can get a 4,000 SQ FT home, brand new sitting on a lot of land for $320,000 - $400,000 In Va the cost is double for less of a home and lot size.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 13,734 times
I am actually relocating to NoVa and moving to Reston this week. I will be living near work, but I know there is at least some stuff to do in Reston, but if I want to go out to the clubs in DC I know that I'm a short drive away. I rather the short commute to work. I think Reston should be good for you.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:05 PM

313 posts, read 535,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCORLEONE View Post
VW/Audi of America will be relocating 400 jobs to Herndon. I believe roughly 80 individuals have been asked to relocate, and by my estimation about 40 people will probably move.

The issue with people moving is the housing costs. Most people here in Michigan can get a 4,000 SQ FT home, brand new sitting on a lot of land for $320,000 - $400,000 In Va the cost is double for less of a home and lot size.
Sorry, dumb question... will VW/Audi help to pay for moving/relocation (including house selling/purchasing expenses) cost? Will they raise the salary to adjust to higher cost of living?

I can feel your pain. We had a neighbor here moving from Ohio a few years ago. They went from a nice 4BR house with swimming pool to a tiny old townhouse. He finally got a single house recently.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 PM

37 posts, read 2,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaivelisse77 View Post
I am actually relocating to NoVa and moving to Reston this week. I will be living near work, but I know there is at least some stuff to do in Reston, but if I want to go out to the clubs in DC I know that I'm a short drive away. I rather the short commute to work. I think Reston should be good for you.
They are still building Reston. It keeps attracting so many new companies and residents. It's a stone's throw to Herndon. Originally Reston was a planned community, there are terrific homes there and creeks, but technology made Reston and the whole Dulles Corridor explode, and it has been for many years now. There isn't an end in site, apparently.

It's wise you've decided to be close to work, enjoy DC whenever and on weekends. They intend to expand the Metro Subway system eventually all the way to Dulles, however more solid plans are underway for at least the expansion from Vienna/Falls Church to and thru Tyson's Corner. Last year the governor allocated the funds and the project. They are always adding new stations in DC and more on the MD side. Va is long overdue for some new stops and expansion but there has been expansion due south from DC to Van Dorn and Huntington. But that's not Reston's direction.
But there are express busses directly from all out there Reston, Herndon, Ashburn, Chantilly, Fairfax and Loudoun Counties (as far as Leesburg) into DC, the Pentagon in Arlington, et al and to Rosslyn Station. Once you're at one of those you can get anywhere in the system, DC/MD/VA. Even almost to BWI the 3rd Airport which is in Maryland can be reached at New Carrollton on the orange line and of course Reagan National in Arlington on the Blue and Yellow lines.

Last edited by Thoro; 10-08-2007 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 08:23 AM

What are the differences between north reston vs. south reston? Where does the reston town center fall?

Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM

585 posts, read 875,157 times
The Reston Town Center falls on the North side, north of the Toll Road. The Toll Road is really the divider between the two areas. Both sides of Reston have nice areas and each side has it's share of "lakes." I personally prefer the North Point/Lake Newport area. Some of my favorite condos are Sutton Ridge and Baldwin Grove. All of Reston has its share of trails and parks. Good luck on the relo! And welcome to Northern Virginia [BTW....I'm a Beetle owner]

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 10-18-2007 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Needed to add comment

Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 PM

313 posts, read 535,090 times
Reston South does have some less desirable areas (for schools).

Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 AM
eeg

3 posts, read 7,788 times
Hello! I moved from the Detroit area to Northern Virginia two years ago...same situation as you...worked for Ford and got transerred. Reston and Ballston/Clarendon are great areas. Ballston/Clarendon is like a large Royal Oak. Same age group and a mix of nice bars and "college bars for people who have greaduated." But, you are near the city and everything is Metro accessible. Reston is a little farther away from the city, but very close to the VW office. Reston has a town center with restaurants like Morton's and McCormick's. Buying real estate here is a great idea and the economy is MUCH better than Detroit....so, don't worry about things like re-sale. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:29 PM

That is music to my ears....Something like Royal Oak is exactly what I'm looking for! Someone also mentioned living in Georgetown and commuting to Herndon. Would this be absolutely nuts? I know I'd be driving opposite of the traffic, but what would that commute be?

Thanks for your comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia