U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
eeg

3 posts, read 7,892 times

Advertisements

Georgetown is AWESOME...but, very expensive. However, real estate will never depreciate in that area (at least not like it has in MI.) It will take you about an hour to drive from Georgetown to Herndon. More people live in the Reston/Herndon area and work in Tyson's Corner or DC, so you'll be going against traffic. (I live in Reston and work in Tyson's...traffic sucks =)

What do you do for Audi? And do you have any information about their hiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
eeg

3 posts, read 7,892 times
oh...also, the reston town center kind of reminds me of downtown birmingham. same kind of shops (ann taylor, banana, speciality boutiques.) it's much bigger than downtown birmingham so there's a lot of nice places to go. but, an older crowd and not as crazy as a roayl oak/clarendon kind of place.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM

18 posts, read 65,245 times
Default Best Places to Live in NoVa

Washington DC is notorious for it's traffic and long commutes. Don't be fooled by the "reverse commute." There's always a commute no matter where you live. And then there's the weekend exception, with traffic on 66 for no reason. It's also quite expensive, you really need to look hard to find the deals in real estate whether those are rentals or purchases. Luckily, there are lots of options.

You need to also consider what kinds of things you'll want to be doing on the weekends for fun. Are you into the outdoors, an avid hiker or bicyclist?

For easy commuting, Arlington's Clarendon (about 30 min drive to Herndon) area is going to best your best bet followed by Reston, Va (10-15 min drive to Herndon). Clarendon is not as close to a good trail ride but it's very close to downtown DC, that makes it particularly nice. It also has lots of restaurants, bars, music venues, etc. Also look into Reston or Ballston which adjoin Clarendon. I like Reston for its lakes, trails (biking, running, some limited water sports) but it's seen quite a residential boom in the Reston Town Center area. More than likely you'd be taking the toll road (267) to get to work but it certainly beats the more traffic-laden Rts 66 and 7.

There are some other smaller neighborhoods that have a great vibe that you may want to look at. Unfortunately, they are further away:
- Capitol Hill (DC)
- U Street, NW (DC)
- Glover Park (just north of Georgetown - DC)
- Del Ray (just north of Alexandria)

Then if you like historic places and don't mind paying the extra bucks to live there, try out Alexandria, VA or Georgetown, DC. I lived in both areas and they were nice but better as places to visit and shop on the weekends. In case you have other questions, feel free to ask. Here are places that I've lived:
Reston, VA
Rosslyn, VA (Arlington next to Clarendon)
Glover Park, DC
National Cathedral, DC
Alexandria, VA
South Riding, VA
Chevy Chase, MD

Also, if you live in VA, you'll save yourself about 4% in income tax.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood!

Janine

P.S. let us know when they are hiring in the area

Last edited by ShopCzar; 10-25-2007 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 AM

600 posts, read 915,754 times
Georgetown might be a bit much for a daily commute. There is no true "driving against traffic" or "driving a reverse commute" anymore. I think traffic is pretty bad all around. I recommend living close to work and then going back into the city when you can/want.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM

18 posts, read 65,245 times
Default Getting out of Georgetown...

...will be your biggest hickup since there are traffic jams galore just getting across the bridge into VA. I think GTown's too overdone but it's best to check out all the options.

If you settle in Rosslyn, right across the rive from GTown, you can walk to the bars/shops. Luckily the metro (orange) line runs from Rossyln east and west. West into VA, next stops are Clarendon, Ballston, etc. Next stop east puts you into Foggy Bottom, which is a bit of a walk from GTown.

You'll pay less in taxes if you're in VA, FYI. Rossyln is an easy in/out for the weekends when you want to jump onto the highway to get away. Also note that Reagan National is close by. If you do a lot of international traveling, Dulles is a 35-45 min ride from there. Much shorter from Reston, only 10-15 mins.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 88,315 times
Thank you all for your comments, and advice.

Some jobs are currently posted on CareerBuilder.com; just go to the website and search Volkswagen or Audi. We are looking for people with Auto Industry experience.

Let me know if there are other questions, i'd be glad to help

Old 10-25-2007, 03:01 PM

33 posts, read 146,011 times
Well, if you do move, welcome to the area. You'll be working near where I do (I'm at Verizon in Ashburn).

The others have hit the nail on the head... Look in the Arlington area, but it's expensive so be forewarned. Welcome to the VA area fellow VW friend =). There's quite a few jettas, r32s and gtis running around the area. Capital Area regional forums on vortex would be a good place to find some GTGs.

We have a lot of shows local to the area as well (H20, waterfest, bug out was in manassas this year, TDIFest should be in the area in 2009). This is an awesome area for night life.

If you would want to commute to night life and walk to work, or ride 5 minutes ashburn/sterling/herndon would be good areas. If you move to Arlington, you'll love it though!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 17,697 times
Default Ballston to Herndon

Hey,

I know someone that lives in Ballston and commutes to Tysons Corner. They say it is a pretty traffic heavy drive and takes 45 min. to one hour each way. What kind of drive could one expect from Ballston to Herndon? Are there more highways involved? I hear that the side roads really fill up during rush hour. Thank you for any imput.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,946 times
Smile audi-herndon

Hi. This might seem like a dumb question but do any of you know if they are hiring an entry level administrative assistant by any chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia