Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times

Advertisements

Elderly Woman Struck by Cab in Ballston Dies | ARLnow.com

He turned right on red where the sign says "do not turn right on red when pedestrians are present." Why do cab drivers drive so carelessly, without any regard to other people on the road? You would think someone whose livelihood is based on driving a cab wouldnt be so careless. Now this man is going to jail for ~10 years and will probably never have a license again, and most likely immigrated to the US for this work. They're all such erratic drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Unfortunately he will never see those 10 years. While I have no love for cabbies there are plenty of stupid and careless drivers everywhere. Male, female, young and old. It's not just cabbies.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 AM

448 posts, read 870,521 times
What a terrible and tragic story. It is also for that reason that, even while having the right to "walk" signal, I am very careful to still look both ways before crossing the street and watch for cars. That is regardless of whatever city (DC, NYC, LA, Arlington, VA or Arlington, TX)

Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I see a large number of bad cab drivers in this area. I think the number is higher than it should be, even if I agree that it is not just cab drivers.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
this might seem like a selfish thing to say, but sometimes I feel like a taxicab driver's main goal is to **** me off

Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
They're everywhere, not just here in DC! In Chicago, you'd be lucky if they actually spoke a lick of english. You know how many times I'd have to take out my Garmin from my bag for the cabbie to use to just get me from Ohare to home?

I have noticed here though, the tend to "float" around the lanes more than in Chicago. Maybe it's because Chicago is a tough city, and a ticked off driver would easily get out of his car to beat the snot out of the cabbie more often than say around here.

I'll never forget in 07', NYC for a conference, took a cab from Time Square Marriott down to the meat packing district. Cabbie got into an arguement with another cabbie. We were racing through NYC at nearly 70 mph while these two yelled at eachother through open windows. Don't know what they were saying, other than someone's mom was a dog, and at one point a shoe went flying out the window. I was too stunned to say anything until we got to our destination, which just so happened to have a cop sitting out front. I told the cop and he chased down the cabbie. There were two of us in the car, one had taken video with his iphone as proof. We called it the Sunni / Sheite Showdown in SoHo Town....

Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Lets try to avoid the race analogy. The bigger issue is, vehicles are being paid to go from point A to point B. The amount of money to be made is dependent on how fast and how many they can do in 1 day and often that leads to throwing caution to the wind about proper traffic laws. I dont think this is only a cabbie thing, often commuters do the same thing as their rush to work is more important than a residents right to cross a road legally.

I agree with Darkseid, when you cross you gotta realize that its dangerous and you have to take all precautions. That works fine for well abled, but for elderly its tough to cross in the time frame that most drivers would ask of you to avoid incident. Can we all just slow down and remember that 5 more seconds isnt the biggest deal in the world?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM

111 posts, read 315,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Elderly Woman Struck by Cab in Ballston Dies | ARLnow.com

He turned right on red where the sign says "do not turn right on red when pedestrians are present." Why do cab drivers drive so carelessly, without any regard to other people on the road? You would think someone whose livelihood is based on driving a cab wouldnt be so careless. Now this man is going to jail for ~10 years and will probably never have a license again, and most likely immigrated to the US for this work. They're all such erratic drivers.
While I agree with you that this is unfortunate incident. This is not just HERE Have you ever been to NYC, DC, SF, Miami? Come on now, it is not just here. Also have you been to that intersection of Ballston? It is a nightmare. It could have been a regular driver (non-cab) just as easily. People turn red on that light ALL THE TIME EVERY DAY.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
I don't know about you guys, but my wife and I have consistently found cabs in the NoVa area to be incredibly slow, very unlike cabs you find in other cities.

Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but we either observe, or get stuck behind, an incredibly slow cab ALL the time.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I don't know about you guys, but my wife and I have consistently found cabs in the NoVa area to be incredibly slow, very unlike cabs you find in other cities.

Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but we either observe, or get stuck behind, an incredibly slow cab ALL the time.
Same here. That's one of the reasons I joined this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia