U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM

53 posts, read 55,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
How large a home are you wanting for $1000/month?

These are all I could find for that price other than one-bedroom apartments/condos.

120 COPPERFIELD LN, WINCHESTER, VA 22602 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com (I know nothing about schools in Winchester)
118 LITTLE RIVER DR, WINCHESTER, VA 22602 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com (Again, Winchester)
306 BELLVIEW AVE, WINCHESTER, VA 22601 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com (Winchester)
1311 LAKEVIEW PKWY, LOCUST GROVE, VA 22508 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com (Locust Grove is nice, but it is fairly isolated. Fredericksburg is the closest "major" town)

Here are some homes that feed into Longfellow (just so you're aware of what's "out there")
1652 WESTWIND WAY #157, MCLEAN, VA 22102 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
8360 GREENSBORO DR #326, MCLEAN, VA 22102 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
1827 BARBEE ST, MCLEAN, VA 22101 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
7433 HALLCREST DR, MCLEAN, VA 22102 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
7422 ELDORADO ST, MCLEAN, VA 22102 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
1638 MORRILL CT, MCLEAN, VA 22101 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Ufffff... great website!... I'll spend some time in it tonight... Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I just saw your update that you meant tuition, not housing. Sorry!
Well, we are also looking for housing and the website you showed before is going to be of great help. We have been using hotpads.com. If you know of other tools online please share (y)

Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,045,591 times
I have to join choff5 on the soapbox. If you are living in an area with sub-par public schools, you will be pleasantly surprised to find that in northern Virginia (especially in McLean), all children are above average. And many parents, like you, are focused on getting their kids into the various gifted programs. The bar is pretty high, so that even the children not selected for the programs -- who would easily gain admission in a less competitive environment -- are still pretty high-achieving. Private elementary schools are not necessarily more rigorous than the non-GT public schools in McLean. And do not underestimate the difficulties in finding a spot in a good private school, nor the logistical challenges associated with transportation thereto during rush hour.

Which brings me to your younger son. Most of the better preschools have already filled their classes for the fall. If you haven't already done so, you should be contacting schools to find out about openings and waiting lists. And remember that you will be making two round trips to the preschool within several hours, so 30 minutes is probably twice as far as you want to be.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM

214 posts, read 425,463 times
You can easily pay much less than $1000/month for preschool, even in the most expensive areas! Most preschools are more in the range of $300-$400/month for 3-4 mornings a week.

ETA-We had some intellectual friends who were very happy with the Temple Rodef preschool which is right in that area (I think). Have also heard good things about Dolley Madison preschool and Sleepy Hollow preschool (this is in Annandale, a little further away).

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,757,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmom View Post
Hi everyone. We are moving this month (with very short notice) to the area. We need to urgently find schools four our two boys (7 and 4 yrs old).

First for our rising second grader: We have done some research and found out that public schools in the area are very good. Do you have a good elementary/middle school combination?. We are, most likely, stay very long term and want to plan for the future. We want to aim for TJ high school and through (little) research have found that Longfellow feeds TJ with lots of students constantly every year and that Haycock is a good elementary for it. We will make him take the test to b admitted to AAIV but will most likely keep him in public regardless. Questions:

-Are there Elementary/Middle schools that compete with or are better than Haycock/Longfellow?
-If he does not qualify for AAIV, would a different combination that those above be better?

For our four year old: He is very bright and, like his brother, loves math and chess, and he is thirsty for knowledge. Questions:

-Do you recommend a private school for PK (strong focus in math and science)?. His older brother was taught addition, subtraction, numbers to 100 by 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s. I dont know if all schools cover those subjects in NoVa in PK but we would be satisfied if the school of our choice covered them. The school doesnt need to be in NoVa, but within 35 minutes commute (say from McLean/Falls Church). Also it needs to be affordable (hopefully <$1000/month).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

ChessMom

P.S.: I know this is a long shot but... are there apartment buildings within the Haycock Elementary School boundary?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but everyone wants their kids to go to TJ. However, few are able to get in. Many of those who do spend years in after school tutoring programs and go to expensive prep classes for the entrance exam.

As for the middle school, that's a misunderstanding, I think - that school has a gifted and talented center, which is why it appears to send so many kids to TJ. You have to be in the gifted and talented program with a center-level score in order to qualify for it. Students who qualify for the center come from other county schools to attend - being a student at Longfellow doesn't confer any added benefit as far as getting into the center. A student enrolling in the school who has not been assigned to the center by the county would only attend the regular middle school classes and would not benefit from the center resources nor be any more likely to get into TJ.

Still, those schools are in the Mclean HS pyramid, which is generally considered the next best thing to TJ, but that just means that it's so expensive most of us can't afford to live there.

And about preschool - I doubt those things are taught in PK here. Some of them are not even taught in Kindergarten.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
I have to join choff5 on the soapbox. If you are living in an area with sub-par public schools, you will be pleasantly surprised to find that in northern Virginia (especially in McLean), all children are above average. And many parents, like you, are focused on getting their kids into the various gifted programs. The bar is pretty high, so that even the children not selected for the programs -- who would easily gain admission in a less competitive environment -- are still pretty high-achieving. Private elementary schools are not necessarily more rigorous than the non-GT public schools in McLean. And do not underestimate the difficulties in finding a spot in a good private school, nor the logistical challenges associated with transportation thereto during rush hour.

Which brings me to your younger son. Most of the better preschools have already filled their classes for the fall. If you haven't already done so, you should be contacting schools to find out about openings and waiting lists. And remember that you will be making two round trips to the preschool within several hours, so 30 minutes is probably twice as far as you want to be.
Yes. That's why we are so excited to move there And you are absolutely right. We are really worried about our youngest one. We know finding a school will be extremely difficult but we don't want to give up hope just yet. Thanks for the info about McLean. I looked into it and it looks great. I'll research it more but it looks like a great opportunity. And TJ is just the main goal, if they don't make it there is not a problem, the knowledge to be gained to be considered there and not get accepted will be an excellent base for anywhere they go

Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
You can easily pay much less than $1000/month for preschool, even in the most expensive areas! Most preschools are more in the range of $300-$400/month for 3-4 mornings a week.

ETA-We had some intellectual friends who were very happy with the Temple Rodef preschool which is right in that area (I think). Have also heard good things about Dolley Madison preschool and Sleepy Hollow preschool (this is in Annandale, a little further away).
Thanks!. Will look into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia