Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM

53 posts, read 64,713 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are moving this month (with very short notice) to the area. We need to urgently find schools four our two boys (7 and 4 yrs old).

First for our rising second grader: We have done some research and found out that public schools in the area are very good. Do you have a good elementary/middle school combination?. We are, most likely, stay very long term and want to plan for the future. We want to aim for TJ high school and through (little) research have found that Longfellow feeds TJ with lots of students constantly every year and that Haycock is a good elementary for it. We will make him take the test to b admitted to AAIV but will most likely keep him in public regardless. Questions:

-Are there Elementary/Middle schools that compete with or are better than Haycock/Longfellow?
-If he does not qualify for AAIV, would a different combination that those above be better?

For our four year old: He is very bright and, like his brother, loves math and chess, and he is thirsty for knowledge. Questions:

-Do you recommend a private school for PK (strong focus in math and science)?. His older brother was taught addition, subtraction, numbers to 100 by 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s. I dont know if all schools cover those subjects in NoVa in PK but we would be satisfied if the school of our choice covered them. The school doesnt need to be in NoVa, but within 35 minutes commute (say from McLean/Falls Church). Also it needs to be affordable (hopefully <$1000/month).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

ChessMom

P.S.: I know this is a long shot but... are there apartment buildings within the Haycock Elementary School boundary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but you won't find anything under $1K that will fit your family in those districts.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
There are more apartment buildings in the Spring Hill and Westgate ES districts. If your kid gets into the advanced academic program and you live in the Spring Hill district, your kid goes to the AAP center at Churchill Road ES and then Longellow MS. If you live in the Westgate district, your kid goes to the AAP center at Haycock and then Longfellow. There are townhouses in the Haycock district itself, but not as many apartment buildings.

All these schools would be great, as would many others in FCPS and neighboring jurisdictions.

Does the $1000/month refer to housing or private schools tuition? If you're referring to housing under $1000/month near Tysons/McLean, you're out of luck. Don't know what private pre-K costs these days.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but you won't find anything under $1K that will fit your family in those districts.
I see. Which schools would fit those requirements regardless of price?. I am willing to go up to Germantowm going north and the same distance south in any direction.

Thanks for your reply

Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There are more apartment buildings in the Spring Hill and Westgate ES districts. If your kid gets into the advanced academic program and you live in the Spring Hill district, your kid goes to the AAP center at Churchill Road ES and then Longellow MS. If you live in the Westgate district, your kid goes to the AAP center at Haycock and then Longfellow. There are townhouses in the Haycock district itself, but not as many apartment buildings.

All these schools would be great, as would many others in FCPS and neighboring jurisdictions.

Does the $1000/month refer to housing or private schools tuition? If you're referring to housing under $1000/month near Tysons/McLean, you're out of luck. Don't know what private pre-K costs these days.
That's what we were thinking. If he does get accepted in an AAP center then we would have more choices for housing. I will definitely check the schools you mentioned and yes, all schools seem to perform VERY well. I don't think I've ever seen a county like this one. Arlington seems pretty good too. Are there problems with bullying?. If all kids perform this good I don't see how there could be many incidents in that regard.

The $1000/month referred to PK tuition. We are already digesting the fact that rent will be pretty high... but we are trying to find something as affordable as possible to be able to invest more in PK for our little one

Thanks for your reply

Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
I think OP means $1k for preschool costs/month, not housing. As for schools, sounds like a lot of research has already been done on the numbers. I am trying very hard here not to get on a soapbox about focusing on TJ admittance in early elementary school. Look for good schools, challenging programs, my guess is the extra curriculars will also be filled in by a parent who has these interests for their child. There's nothing, or maybe few things, that make me sadder than hearing a second grade student say he's worried about the "GT Test" and has studied all summer for it, or the second grader who wished he or she had done better on the "GT test" so they could go to the "GT center" too. If your child is in FCPS schools, all second graders take an assessment to look at qualification for Advanced Academics Level 4 (AAP level 4) which used to be known as the "GT center". You don't have to "make" them take it. As for TJ admittance, focus on good beginning then by middle school see what your child is interested in. Believe it or not, there is life beyond TJ. Sorry, I'll step down from my box now.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmom View Post
I see. Which schools would fit those requirements regardless of price?. I am willing to go up to Germantowm going north and the same distance south in any direction.

Thanks for your reply

How large a home are you wanting for $1000/month?

These are all I could find for that price other than one-bedroom apartments/condos.

http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...77348214/popup (I know nothing about schools in Winchester)
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...77243567/popup (Again, Winchester)
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...76525096/popup (Winchester)
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...76527179/popup (Locust Grove is nice, but it is fairly isolated. Fredericksburg is the closest "major" town)

Here are some homes that feed into Longfellow (just so you're aware of what's "out there")
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...75794420/popup
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...73044414/popup
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...77321689/popup
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...75565473/popup
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...75364026/popup
http://www.homesdatabase.com/rentals...72917414/popup

Last edited by patriot201; 07-23-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmom View Post

The $1000/month referred to PK tuition.
Oh, thank goodness. While I don't know if that is reasonable or not for tuition, I feel much better about your prospects knowing that it is not your housing budget. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
I just saw your update that you meant tuition, not housing. Sorry!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I think OP means $1k for preschool costs/month, not housing. As for schools, sounds like a lot of research has already been done on the numbers. I am trying very hard here not to get on a soapbox about focusing on TJ admittance in early elementary school. Look for good schools, challenging programs, my guess is the extra curriculars will also be filled in by a parent who has these interests for their child. There's nothing, or maybe few things, that make me sadder than hearing a second grade student say he's worried about the "GT Test" and has studied all summer for it, or the second grader who wished he or she had done better on the "GT test" so they could go to the "GT center" too. If your child is in FCPS schools, all second graders take an assessment to look at qualification for Advanced Academics Level 4 (AAP level 4) which used to be known as the "GT center". You don't have to "make" them take it. As for TJ admittance, focus on good beginning then by middle school see what your child is interested in. Believe it or not, there is life beyond TJ. Sorry, I'll step down from my box now.
I couldn't agree more. Although there is no one-answer-fits-all in this matter, I am more of the belief that kids should be pushed all the way until they stop enjoying what they are doing (unless they are doing bad in school at which time I am all for pushing no matter what). Luckily for my seven year old, he enjoys all his activities including school, and he will take the test for educational planning only (ie if he does not do good we will probably move to a more affordable area to register him in a private school, not for the quality of the education but so he can get more one on one time form his teacher - He has attended private up until know as where we live public schools are... how should I say it... sub par?). On the other hand, if he does good then we can probably enjoy the full benefits of extraordinary education in the area, living in a more affordable place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia