U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,317,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmom View Post
And because that's the way it happens it should stay that way?...
If I were the proverbial Fairfax County queen for a day, I would change HOW the 52% of the Fairfax County budget was spent on education.

Now if you are suggesting Fairfax County should not have to follow the "rules" as established by the Governor as well as the Virginia General Assembly, then you may wish to search on threads here in this forum about such ideas as Fairfax County changing into a "city" and read more about the Local Composite Index (LCI).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 AM

53 posts, read 55,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
If I were the proverbial Fairfax County queen for a day, I would change HOW the 52% of the Fairfax County budget was spent on education.

Now if you are suggesting Fairfax County should not have to follow the "rules" as established by the Governor as well as the Virginia General Assembly, then you may wish to search on threads here in this forum about such ideas as Fairfax County changing into a "city" and read more about the Local Composite Index (LCI).
I think sometimes politics destroy good plans because of less important reasons... and rules have to be followed... but they can be changed too right?...

Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,645,058 times
Let me take on the conservative concept for how this would be corrected;

Instead of public schools like TJ, private schools would pick up for the lack of higher learning institutes.

Unfortunately, much like the news, the noble concept of promoting intelligence and merit become devoured by the desire for the all mighty dollar and prestige hence why rich and powerful anglo-saxon children generally begin populating these schools. Those children are not selected on their educational capabilities (in fact in many cases they are sent to these schools because they were causing too much trouble in public schools) all the while truly gifted but possibly poor or 1st generation children stay in a public school system which doesnt challenge their brains or keep them connected.

The solution is to figure out why our schools fail at sparking the curiosity in children... could it be that everything has been turned into a scantron self patting appropriations contest? Could it be that we now aim for the middle so we never reach for the top? It might be a funds issue, but more so its a syllabus issue in order to KEEP those funds. Teachers who are good and have been around and see the merit in problem solving and expanded concepts are restrained by the reality that if their kids dont pass the required tests they will be seen as a failure.

Private schools need to find a noble funding source that will not create a shelter of isolationism, but return independent thought, blind to race and class because the public schools in the current environment are too busy trying to hold on to their funding to fix these types of problems.

Post Script: This entire thread should be labeled "Top #5 School District Problems" in line with 1st World Problems... its much ado about nothing seeing as even poor schools in this area are well above national standards.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:18 AM

53 posts, read 55,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Uh, yeah, you clearly did not read anything I cited. Your first link is a rehash of the UCLA ENIGMA study I cited earlier, which supports my contention about genetic component of intelligence.

If you bothered to read the article from the second link, you might have noticed the conclusion:
Again, this supports what I wrote earlier about genes and IQ.
Uh, no, I would like for you to point out where it categorically says that east Asians have those combinations of genes... of course IQ has to be linked to a chemical process (like everything in our bodies) but are those processes happening more frequently in east Asians?. I would like you to show me where that is stated based on REAL data like that of those articles... I checked the parameters of some of those world IQ studies and they were a joke... if those were published those places should be banned from educating people...

Now, let's move on to the Wiki quote:

Quote:
First of all, academic assocations can make whatever statements they want. Peer-reviewed studies and conclusions derived from them, however, are something else. Associations often make all kinds of political and politically-correct statements. Take, for example, the last statement. It talks about "function[ing] in any social setting" and "assimilat[ing] any human culture" and then launches into a self-righteous condemnation against "racist political doctrines." Nowhere is the issue of IQ and population groups addressed. Of course, population groups with an average IQ of 85 can function in a social setting and assimilate into a culture -- that, however, does NOT mean that group is going to have a high number of people who can excel in differential equations and astrophysics.

Note, also, that these are outdated (from over 15 years ago). I provided earlier a link to a review of the relevant literature done more recently, which take into account all the latest technological innovations (such as MRI scans) that have demonstrated correlations between inherited (i.e. genetic) traits and IQ.
And... to be politically correct... doesn't it need to be true as well?... Don't the new studies show that any correlation between IQ and genes derived in the past is incorrect due to methodology?... Have they not said that no correlation has been found yet?... but of course there is one but they yet have to find it... what is NOT been said in such studies is that, as you try so ferociously to make us believe, that for some reason it is easier for east Asians to get those codes in their brains during gestation... Unless someone has hard evidence... to me that's ridiculous...

Quote:
No. But if you want to appropriate other people's resources, you have to provide some evidence for the efficacy of the policy you propose. Mere good intentions and fanciful thinking do not suffice.
Better education?

Quote:
One major problem I see in today's education (one amongst many, of course) is the emphasis on "self-esteem" divorced from actual achievement.
Well... I see self-esteem problems in general... can you believe some people think that other ethnicities are inherently smarter?... and to compensate for that gap they believe that others are dumber?...

Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmom View Post
I think sometimes politics destroy good plans because of less important reasons... and rules have to be followed... but they can be changed too right?...
Sure. Good luck with that. It would be Fairfax County (and arguably "northern Virginia") vs. the Commonwealth.

Washington Post: Fairfax County Executive Suggests Converting to a City
Griffin told the Board of Supervisors that city status would allow Fairfax greater autonomy over taxes and transportation. But it would also turn the tables on the nearby capital city: With 1 million residents, a new Fairfax City would dwarf the District of Columbia, which has fewer than 600,000.
Attaining city status, Griffin said, would require a referendum and approval by the state legislature. The idea has intrigued some supervisors because it would help Fairfax County gain control over its road network. The Virginia Department of Transportation is running out of money for basic maintenance, such as median mowing and road striping, and state lawmakers have deadlocked over how best to provide the money necessary to alleviate congestion in Northern Virginia.

Fairfax could simply negotiate with state officials to take control of the roads. But by attaining city status, officials would gain greater authority to raise taxes and fees to pay for road maintenance and operations.
Composite Index of Local Ability to Pay

Fairfax County Legislative Program 2012
1.) K-12 Funding – Joint Position with the Fairfax County School Board (REGIONAL)
It is essential that the state fully meet its Constitutional responsibility to adequately fund
K-12 education, including full funding for the biennial re-benchmark of Virginia’s
Standards of Quality (SOQ).
Critical gaps continue to widen between the SOQ, the funding for those standards, and the actual
local costs of providing a high quality education. Fairfax County and other Northern Virginia
localities more than meet their responsibilities for K-12 education through large contributions to
the State General Fund, strong local effort, and the effect of high local composite indices, which
diverts State funding away from this region. Conversely, state funding for K-12 has declined
significantly in recent years – in FY 2009, K-12 funding comprised over 35 percent of the state
General Fund, but by FY 2012, K-12 will comprise less than 30 percent.
The Boards oppose state budget cuts that disproportionately target or affect Northern Virginia,
and support realistic and fully-funded Standards of Quality. The Boards also strongly oppose
formula changes which further weaken the partnership between the state and localities, including
but not limited to, any reduction in the current 55 percent State share of SOQ costs, capping state
funding for support costs and the elimination or reduction of cost of competing funding to
Northern Virginia localities. Unfortunately, recent budgets adopted by the General Assembly
exacerbate the stresses on the state-local K-12 partnership, by making permanent, structural cuts
that localities expressly sought to avoid. By relying on one-time, temporary actions to at least
partially offset these cuts (e.g. reduced VRS rates, federal stimulus funds), these current budgets
have understated the overall impact of these structural changes. (Revises and updates previous
education position.)

Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Incorporation would hurt Fairfax in the short term due to sudden shortfalls in funding, but after 2 years of being able to control greater autonomy of our taxes (of which we only attain 19 cents back on the dollar currently sent to Richmond) that gap would be recovered and we would see a true windfall of funds.

We are the bank in many ways to Richmond, us, Loudoun, Arlington, and Hampton Roads essentially keep this state running. Unfortunately Richmond also knows this, which is why they republican legislature would never allow us to control our own government, even though it follows their ideological cannons of smaller government (shocker politicians are hypocrites).

If they would pass it, I think it would be a no brainer, Fairfax is stronger in control of itself than being dictated and robbed by a legislature and executive branch which has completely different ideals and motives

Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,624,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

Post Script: This entire thread should be labeled "Top #5 School District Problems" in line with 1st World Problems... its much ado about nothing seeing as even poor schools in this area are well above national standards.
I started the thread because a specific complaint was filed quite recently with the Department of Education by a group headed by a former School Board member and the NAACP challenging the TJ admissions process (or, more precisely, how students are identified at earlier stages of their education to receive the AAP services that are, as a practical matter, a pre-requisite for admission to TJ). There have been a handful of posts - particularly by CaliTerp07 - offering some real insight as to how the process works in some parts of the county that traditionally do not send a lot of kids to TJ.

I can't help it if others want to treat the topic as an invitation to share their broader views on different "cultures" or the global distribution of IQs and the like, but I'd like to keep the thread with its current title. I don't have an axe to grind with TJ, but its existence fascinates me because I don't think it's common for affluent suburbs already known for excellent public schools - as opposed to cities with struggling public school systems - to establish magnet schools like TJ. It does not surprise me that it has generated so much controversy over the years, because it's located in an area where access to top-quality public education is a top priority. If such access comes to be associated primarily with admission to TJ, rather than access to FCPS generally, we may have collectively dealt ourselves a big blow. The fact that the NAACP has filed this particular complaint could be viewed as reflecting such an assumption (or you could interpret it as an indication that, because there are not larger issues to tackle, the NAACP is taking on issues of lesser significance instead to keep busy). Realistically, under any conceivable scenario, most students, including the black and Hispanic students, in FCPS are not going to end up at TJ.

Last edited by JD984; 07-28-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Realistically, under any conceivable scenario, most students, including the black and Hispanic students, in FCPS are not going to end up at TJ.
This should simply say, most students in FCPS are not going to end up at TJ. And thats good, if they did then it wouldnt be as important of an institution. And I agree with the intent of this thread to discuss the issue and I vehemently disagree with the post that equates race to education, it is simply not that simple (on that same data set it shows indians and persians as being very low in IQ)... in Northern virginia these groups constitute the highest percentage of doctorates and are in highly skilled and technical career fields. Could it be that the standards of testing IQ in developing countries is bogus? hmmmmmm

Census backing

Bachelor Degree or Higher: 57.2% versus 24.4% nationally
Graduate Degree or Higher: 27% makes the Iranian Americans the most highly educated ethnic group in the U.S.
Percentage-wise, Iranian Americans hold five times the number of doctorates than the national average.

Also:

The per capita average income for Iranian-Americans is 50% higher than that of the nation.
Iranian-American family average income is 38% higher than national average.
26.2% of Iranian-Americans make over $100,000 compared to 12% nationally.
The average value of an Iranian-American home is 2.5 times that of the average home in the U.S.
The percentage of Iranian-Americans living in homes valued more than $1 million is nearly 10 times that of the national average; 20.8% live in houses valued at over $5 Million compared to only 3% for the U.S. population.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Realistically, under any conceivable scenario, most students, including the black and Hispanic students, in FCPS are not going to end up at TJ.
I wonder what others might think of public "alternatives to TJ" beyond the base high school, too -- for example, the new STEM academy at Chantilly as well as the Aerospace Science academy at Marshall. (I know my daughter is quite interested in the Girls Exploring Engineering course at Chantilly, but she's still only in elementary school.)

Old 07-28-2012, 09:42 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,624,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
This should simply say, most students in FCPS are not going to end up at TJ.
I phrased it the way I did because the NAACP complaint was filed on behalf of black and Hispanic students (and students with disabilities) within the county, not "most" students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia