Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 PM

144 posts, read 333,671 times

Advertisements

Hi there, does anyone know of a good adoption agency in northern VA? I don't really know anybody that has adopted and I can't seem to find anything reputable on the internet. I'm afraid to pick one of these ones that I find on google.

My other problem is that all of them seem to be religious and won't help you if you're not a member of a church or don't believe... cause non religious people can't adopt kids or something? :P

We are looking to adopt a baby and preferably one domestically. I know that's a tall order but hoping someone out there has worked with or knows someone else that has worked with a good agency.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
You can always have a homestudy prepared by a local agency and use a nationwide agency for placement. American Adoptions is probably one of the largest agencies for domestic adoption, but there are others that are reputable. It might be helpful to focus your search for agencies in adoption-friendly states (e.g., Florida). Another alternative is to work with an adoption attorney and pursue an independent adoption. If you are looking for an agency recommendation for a homestudy, I suggest you check out JSSA: http://www.jssa.org/services/childteenfam/adoption . They are knowledgeable, professional and timely.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
I adopted from China 6 years ago. We used an out-of-state agency, although a Virginia agency for our homestudy. They were called Forever Families, and they are in Middleburg. They used to primarily specialize in China, but do most places now, I believe. They were great! Home Page

There is also an adoption agency in Vienna called Datz, that I believe my friend used to assist her in her domestic adoption. http://www.datzfoundation.org/

I've also always heard of Barker, but I don't know if they are good or not. They are in Falls Church. They may be Christian: IN THE BARKER SPOTLIGHT | The Barker Foundation | Pregnancy Counseling, Domestic & International Adoption Programs

Last edited by michgc; 07-27-2012 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 08:25 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,068 times
I also adopted from China, using Cradle of Hope out of Silver Spring, MD. They found a VA homestudy agency for me. They don't have a huge domestic program, but I think it is growing, with the slowdown of international.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,289 times
We used Barker as our home study agency a couple of years ago. They are not a religion based adoption agency. We also attended an informational meeting that Datz held.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:26 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Barker has been around forever and are very well respected. I would start with them.

BTW, Congratulations on looking to adopt. I think adoptions are wonderful!

Old 07-28-2012, 04:58 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyinNOVA View Post
My other problem is that all of them seem to be religious and won't help you if you're not a member of a church or don't believe... cause non religious people can't adopt kids or something? :P
Birth mothers often have a preference for a child to be raised in a particular religious faith, leading them to choose an agency that honors that.

Another option is to adopt through the foster care system. This can be emotionally challenging, of course, since the child may end up reunited with the birth parent(s), so there is potential for heartbreak. But in a traditional adoption a birth mother may change her mind either before or after the child is placed. (Does anyone know what the time period for this is in Virginia? Just wondering. It's probably a shorter time frame than what may happen in foster care.) But I do know some people who have adopted foster children placed with them as newborns, and also as toddlers.

Good luck to you! I wish it wasn't such a long process but it will be well worthwhile once you have your child or children.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 PM

144 posts, read 333,671 times
Thanks, we are strongly considering it now as I'm infertile and its been about 5 years with no luck. Appreciate all the advice!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
I adopted domestically through Adoptions Together. Their main office is in Silver Spring but they have smaller offices in Herndon and Baltimore as well. They are great, and I'd recommend them unless you do not support gay adoption (AT promotes families of all kinds, which is one if the reasons we chose them, but occasionally I 'd run into other waiting families at support group meetings who seemed uncomfortable with the gay couples in the program). My children were born in Maryland, so we were subject to revocation rules there (30 days, opposed to 15 in Virginia) and had to stay with them in Maryland after they were born until interstate compact agreements were finalized (8 days, but it could have been weeks, it just depends on the state agencies involved). We also finalized in Maryland.

Please feel free to message me if you have other questions. It was a challenging but rewarding experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia