U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM

14 posts, read 14,015 times
Default 10th grade at Oakton High School - need advice

Hi there. We are new to the area and will be enrolling an under-performing rising 10th grade girl into Oakton High School this fall. She's capable but not motivated --so we are on the hardcore "let's straighten this out NOW" path.

Any recommendations for teachers we should look for/avoid? How about particularly strong tutors, clubs, coaches? Any thoughts on how we can surround her with good opportunities and role models inside the high school building/hours/ecosystem would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM

4,479 posts, read 4,983,545 times
I'd seriously think about Paul VI in Fairfax as an alternative, if you can swing it. They are still accepting applications for the fall of 2012. It's a smaller school - about 1000 students vs. over 2200 at Oakton.

Oakton does traditionally have one of the strongest athletics programs for girls in the entire state of Virginia. If she is athletic and can play on a sports team, that might provide some additional focus and discipline.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:27 PM

14 posts, read 14,015 times
Default What about Bishop O'Connell if we go the Cath route?

Thanks for the idea on JPVI. Reading the parent reviews it seems Bishop O'Connell is strongly preferred. Any thoughts or pointers?

L.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,035,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiewilson View Post
Thanks for the idea on JPVI. Reading the parent reviews it seems Bishop O'Connell is strongly preferred. Any thoughts or pointers?

L.
While there are options to Oakton, if you haven't, I would strongly suggest calling Oakton and setting up an appointment with Director of Student Services (old fashion name-guidance director) now. That person is working in the summer and should be able to sit down with you, listen to your concerns and make recommendations on what will work and not work, both in the classroom and out of it in terms of clubs, activities and other supports. The counselors don't come back until the middle of August but you can start the wheels turning now with this meeting so a schedule is in place and her counselor will have a heads up. At least then you would have some good idea of what Oakton can offer your daughter. Also, include her in the meeting. After all,it's her school and life. Best of luck and it's good to be proactive on this.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM

100 posts, read 108,563 times
Take this with a grain of salt, as I started 10th grade at Oakton 20 years ago this fall (eeek!) and surely some things have changed since then, but if your daughter is athletic, participating on at least one sports team would probably benefit her academic life. Many of the female athletes were good students, perhaps because they were disciplined and motivated to excel in general, or perhaps because among certain social groups at OHS, there was significant (mostly unspoken) peer pressure to do well in school.

I second choff5's advice to talk to the guidance director, who would know far more about the current atmosphere and activities at the school than I do!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,149,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiewilson View Post
Hi there. We are new to the area and will be enrolling an under-performing rising 10th grade girl into Oakton High School this fall. She's capable but not motivated --so we are on the hardcore "let's straighten this out NOW" path.

Any recommendations for teachers we should look for/avoid? How about particularly strong tutors, clubs, coaches? Any thoughts on how we can surround her with good opportunities and role models inside the high school building/hours/ecosystem would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Oakton is a very large high school. Some kids do well with that, some don't. What would she need tutoring for? Wouldn't her interests determine what extra curriculars she gets involved in?

Most high schools in Fairfax start early, around 7:30 and end early, 2:30.

School ecosystem? What does that mean?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 PM

410 posts, read 415,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_almost_native View Post
Take this with a grain of salt, as I started 10th grade at Oakton 20 years ago this fall (eeek!)
I was in 9th grade at Oakton 20 years ago. We are close in age.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM

270 posts, read 499,346 times
Motivation is so hard to ignite. It has to come from within. Our just-graduated senior drifted through the first three years of high school with grades in the 2.5 range and not motivated at all. Senior year, he signed up on his own for a service trip to the inner city and he was really energized by the experience. His grades started going up, he started getting interested in school and school activities, and he suddenly took ownership of his existence. All of our nagging over the years, in retrospect, seems counterproductive. By the last quarter he had his grades up to an A average, (when many kids are senior slumping) and it is nothing we could take credit for. I do think one of the Catholic schools might be a good idea. I transferred my junior year to a big public school and it was miserable socially, but just fine every other way. We know a couple kids who transferred to a local Catholic school as juniors and fit in pretty quickly. As for the motivation, you can just offer opportunities and support them if they want to do something that might seem unusual. You never know where that spark might come from.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 AM

100 posts, read 108,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I was in 9th grade at Oakton 20 years ago. We are close in age.
I remember seeing you on another thread about OHS a while back!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 AM

413 posts, read 646,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_almost_native View Post
I remember seeing you on another thread about OHS a while back!
::waves::

Another Oakton grad here, although a bit older (class of '88).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia