Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 PM

373 posts, read 821,305 times

Advertisements

I've felt like dog poo for the past week. It looks like my strategy of waiting for it to run its course is not really working out, and I can't afford to miss more work. So I want to go to the doctor. Somehow, I've managed to live here for a couple of years without ever needing medical attention. I'm working down the list of doctors from my insurance, but no one seems interested in a new patient or has appointments available within the next couple of days.

I don't need to go to the emergency room. I also don't want to wait a month for an appointment. I think I might need a bit more attention than one of those CVS walk-in clinics. I'm doing a google search for urgent care centers, but is there a better option? How on earth did I make it so far in life without ever learning how to find a doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM

231 posts, read 455,785 times
Oh the drama. Just go over to Inova Urgent Care and be done with it.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM

373 posts, read 821,305 times
Thanks. No Inova Urgent Care near me. I'm super frustrated because I've spent the past two hours on the phone, even called Inova for physician referrals with immediate availability, and the earliest actual appointment I could get is next week. I'm going to go to CVS after all and let them direct me to the ER if it looks like I'll need more than simple antibiotics.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
The CVS nurse practitioners have always been really helpful when I've been sick. I

Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Thanks. No Inova Urgent Care near me. I'm super frustrated because I've spent the past two hours on the phone, even called Inova for physician referrals with immediate availability, and the earliest actual appointment I could get is next week. I'm going to go to CVS after all and let them direct me to the ER if it looks like I'll need more than simple antibiotics.
While I am sorry you are not feeling well, you are essentially saying that you are frustrated with any doctor who won't drop everything (and other patients) to see you because of your lack of planning and procrastination in calling them.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Try to find a Patient First or something similar, some of them have pharmacies on site.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
As far as I know, there are still those urgent care places (not hospital affiliates). You don't say what area you are in.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
As far as I know, there are still those urgent care places (not hospital affiliates). You don't say what area you are in.

Yes, they are still around. A year or so ago, I felt awful and my regular doc was out of town. So I went to the urgent care place near my house (LRT in Annandale) and the doc said he thought I had pneumonia. He suggested I go get a chest X-ray, but also gave me a rx for a heavy-duty antibiotic. I went to Inova Fairfax and the X-ray confirmed the diagnosis....and they prescribed a full course of the same drug that the urgent care doc prescribed.

Here's the kicker, the doctor from the urgent care PERSONALLY called me a couple times to ask how I was doing. I have NEVER had a doctor do that, EVER !!! I hope he wasn't just passing through, because I will definitely go there the next time...

Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
When I first moved to Woodbridge, I didn't have a GP. I got a sore throat/fever and had company coming. So I ran to an independent urgent care. The doctor there diagnosed me with a virus, but also during her exam noted that my thyroid felt enlarged. She urged me to find a doctor and pursue further. I did that and learned I had thyroid cancer. I went back to her about a year later and thanked her for being so thorough. I had been to a few other doctors not too long before her and no one said a word. She told me she had felt numerous "weird" thyroids and about 5-6 of them turned out to be cancer. She ended up leaving there and going to work for an Inova Urgent Care in Centreville.

Some of those docs can be very good.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM

429 posts, read 954,328 times
I concur. I work for a doctors office and use Inova Urgent Care myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia