U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 AM

907 posts, read 2,921,729 times

Advertisements

I'm in North Arlington but I'd like to expand my search for a bigger store with a big selection and lower prices so am definitely willing to travel. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 AM

199 posts, read 603,069 times
I've heard people recommend The Tile Shop | Granite, Travertine, Slate, Marble, Ceramic, Porcelain, Glass, Metal, DIY | The Tile Shop.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 PM

301 posts, read 587,508 times
Mosaic Tile Co. in Fairfax (Merrifield)...they have some beautiful tile there!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:54 PM

274 posts, read 597,495 times
Not sure about lower prices (sometimes you get what you pay for), but Architectural Ceramics on Leesburg Pike in Falls Church has an amazing selection. They have some mockups, lots of catalogs. Call for a consultation. I went in with one idea, came out with an outstanding decision. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm in North Arlington but I'd like to expand my search for a bigger store with a big selection and lower prices so am definitely willing to travel. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:15 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
I'm not overly impressed with The Tile Shop. They seem not to know a whole lot about tile, and their prices are quite high. We actually found a much better type of hex tile online, via Home Depot, of all places. (It actually has a PEI and imperviousness rating, versus the "mystery in a box" stuff at Tile Shop.)

One shop that does seem to carry high-quality materials is Morris Tile in Alexandria: Morris Tile Distributors

I say this because unlike many shops, they carry Bostik Ditra-Set, the premier type of unmodified thinset for use in laying tiles on top of Schluter Ditra. (At least, according to the The Floor Elf, a professional tile man in Colorado, whose website is a gold mine of tile info. In fact, I would advise reading his entire site before hiring anyone to do your tile.) We're in the middle of a re-tiling job right now.

Here's another useful site about tile. Goes into PEI ratings, ceramic vs. porcelain, etc.

Other shops in the area: JUD Tile and Ideal Tile. No personal experience with those, either.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-29-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,895,868 times
This one! We just did tile work in our master bathroom and bought our tile from The Tile Shop. We went to the one in Sterling--this is a chain store, and I'm not sure if all are have the same level of quality. We are extremely pleased with the tile we got, in particular the floor tile which just seems very well made. Also liked how the manager of the store spent a long time helping us. In addition, the price is reasonable and they had a list of contractors that was actually a good list. Some of you may remember the ridiculously long search we went through to find someone to do this job. Well, Tile Shop is where we found our contractor. Tomorrow they install the shower, which is the last step of the job. So far, so good. In fact, we're quite happy with the quality of the work--if tomorrow goes well I will happily post this guy's name.

Dal Tile is a fun shop to browse through. Also, there's a tile shop next to Lotte in Chantilly that ha gorgeous tiles. Pricey, but gorgeous.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM

274 posts, read 597,495 times
Gorgeous and pricey indeed! But we didn't buy there. If one can find quality tile at better prices, the high-end stores are often good for ideas and accent tiles. I love tile. Smitten.

Dal Tile is a fun shop to browse through. Also, there's a tile shop next to Lotte in Chantilly that ha gorgeous tiles. Pricey, but gorgeous.[/quote]

Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
Our C-minus experience at Tile Shop is based on the one in Springfield.

Our first time, the guy was helpful, but then he rang us up on a handheld device, gave us no receipt, and told us to go around to the loading dock to pick up our order. We waited there at this noisy back entry for our order; in the meantime, a couple of sullen employees smoking cigarettes wandered past us. Finally we see our order, but we still don't have a printed receipt. The sales guy finally appeared with the receipt and helped us load up the car--but still, I didn't like this system. (There's no reason the guy couldn't have just wheeled our small order on a hand truck, through the store to the front door.)

Also, their tile didn't have the grade, PEI rating (durability), or imperviousness rating on the box. (In fact, they never even mentioned these things; I had to learn about them online.) Even when I called later to ask what the ratings were on the tile we'd bought, I was told they'd have to ask "corporate" and that I'd get a call back. Which didn't happen.

They call some of their marble Carrara, even though it's not from Carrara. That should be illegal. It's just like "American Kobe beef." At least that has "American" before it.

On the plus side, they're good about returns.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-31-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 23,299 times
I like Design Tile in Vienna VA

Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 AM

2 posts, read 574 times
Mosaic Tile Center is a good online tile store, I like and have used their collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or