U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,888,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz0426 View Post
towing fee is $125, I just started work and have less than $800 in the bank so this one hit me hard.
Ha, lesson learned. I've never been towed but I've seen sooo many people get towed that I always read signs were I park, and if no sign, don't park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 AM

358 posts, read 660,082 times
My advice to anyone reading this, as someone mentioned before, do whatever you can on-line or by phone, you even get a discount on some things. If you can't, take a day trip on a day off (if possible) to a smaller DMV office like towards Winchester or Fredricksburg. The price of fuel should still be cheaper than the OP's $125 tow bill.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM

55 posts, read 126,836 times
Or just arrive earlier preferably right when they open, that's what I should have done. I guess the lesson is to play it safe when parking anywhere. I had some doubt and I should have kept circling, I ignored my doubt and paid an expensive price.

Although I found stories online of that same towing company towing cars in shopping centers (specifically the Westmont one) because the cars were not parked right in front of the business they were going to. I think that's an extreme example of enforcement. I'm afraid to go to shopping centers now if there's no parking in front of the business I want to go to.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,888,049 times
Quote:
Although I found stories online of that same towing company towing cars in shopping centers (specifically the Westmont one) because the cars were not parked right in front of the business they were going to. I think that's an extreme example of enforcement. I'm afraid to go to shopping centers now if there's no parking in front of the business I want to go to.
Those tow companies better watch it. They tow the wrong car for the wrong reason, they will eventually **** someone off enough to do something really, really stupid...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,555,817 times
If you search for your location, it gives you an average wait time. That's probably a semi-decent indicator of how busy the parking lot is.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM

421 posts, read 818,969 times
If I were the chicken lady, I'd just turn the unused part of the lot into a paid parking area or put up meters. Why be so hateful about people parking there?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 PM

588 posts, read 1,196,611 times
Quote:

Yeah, I worry about that kind of stuff, too.

About a year ago, I was at the Fair Lakes Promenade shopping center, doing some shopping at Barnes & Noble, Old Navy, and Children's Place. I had parked in the center of the shopping center so I could essentially walk from one end to the other without having to repark.

While shopping, I remembered that I also needed to pick up a prescription at the Kaiser that's right there. Kaiser members are warned not to park in the shopping center parking lot because they will tow Kaiser members' cars. I thought I was safe, though, because I had done PLENTY of shopping at the shopping center.

Apparently not...

A "Kaiser cop" warned me that the towing company would still tow my car because Kaiser members are not allowed to use the shopping center parking lot. I pointed out that I was also a patron of the shopping center. The "Kaiser cop" said it didn't matter-- that Kaiser members couldn't park in that parking lot. She was wrong, of course. They cannot discriminate against Kaiser members if they are also shopping at the shopping center. But I was still worried!

WJLA recently aired a segment about the DMV and towing. A man's car got towed because he parked in front of a business. He then went to the DMV, while his teen or young adult daughter went to the business where they parked. She was a legitimate customer, but the towing company towed the man's car anyway.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM

421 posts, read 818,969 times
If that was a fact, did the towing company put the car back in it's rightful spot and apologize? They should have. The owner of the business that was patronized by the other person could/should have gotten involved and made them bring the car back. All they had to say was "I didn't hire you all to run off my customers and ruin my name." And if not, he/she should have fired them on the spot. I think my beef would be more with the owner of the business than the towing company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia