U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 08:04 PM

61 posts, read 221,614 times

Advertisements

I know this has been asked many times in different ways but not with the same specifics. I'm considering taking a new job in the Arlington area and trying to find a suitable place to live. The top priorities are low crime, best possible schools nearby (2 kids 8 and 11), reasonable commute (I'm thinking this means walking distance to metro or rail), pedestrian/bike friendly. Could probably handle up to $600K and willing to consider townhouse. We currently have a 3K square foot house and would like to avoid downsizing but willing to for the above given the realities of the DC area. We've gotten used to a great charter school and are fortunate to have kids in accelerated programs so want to make sure the school needs are met. We're currently in Florida and have not been to DC. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 10:17 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,362,494 times
Well, with 600K to spend on housing, you can actually afford to live in pretty much any part of the DC area, it's just a matter of matching other specifics which makes matters a bit more difficult.

Really, the only parts of the DC area that are pedestrian and bike-friendly are DC proper and it's immediate close-in suburbs (i.e. portions of Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Bethesda, Silver Spring, Chevy Chase and Takoma Park). The majority of the metro area is suburban sprawl built in favor of the car as opposed to pedestrians. Unfortunately, most single family homes are built a far distance from Metro stations and those that are close, mostly in Arlington, will run in 700s or so in spite of being post-war modest two-story brick homes.

As far as schools go, schools are pretty much terrific across Northern Virginia, particularly in Fairfax County but schools in Arlington are terrific as well, with Yorktown and Washington-Lee both held in high regards.

I would recommend checking out the areas surrounding the Dunn Loring and Vienna Metro stations. There are large townhouse communities there. You will inevitably have to downsize a bit, but the townhouses are very spacious and pretty expensive (although I think 600K should cover it) and living in these areas will put you within the boundaries of some of the best public schools in one of the best public school systems in the country. A commute via Metro to Rosslyn would run some 30 minutes. I would actually recommend living in Arlington as well, within the borders of Yorktown or Washington-Lee, due to the lesser commute time, more pedestrian-friendly area and good schools and low crime of it's own, but the one benefit of living in Fairfax County as opposed to Arlington is the option of attending Thomas Jefferson High School, a science and technology high school that Fairfax County students test into that is regarded by some as the best high school in the country. So I suppose this meets the criteria as far as low crime, good schools and reasonable commute, but falls short in being pedestrian-friendly and in requiring a bit of home downsizing (although truthfully I think you'll face that regardless unless willing to move much further out in the suburbs).

Last edited by dullnboring; 09-24-2006 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-25-2006, 05:56 AM

61 posts, read 221,614 times
Thanks! I'll look into those areas. I was thinking I'd have to be well away from the work location so its reassuring that I may be able to be close in.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 36,619 times
For the price range and the criteria, Arlington has a lot of condos available. There are less communities that offer townhouse living for around $600. Land is so sparse builders are just going up when you are looking to live close to where you work which is usually close to Arlington or of course DC. One of which is located on South Glebe Road at Columbia Pike. It is a nice neighborhood with some shops, restaurants and a movie theater. They have bike lanes, metro bus access and less than a mile to 395 which is a major roadway leading directly into the city. There is a new home community called Majestic Oak right there which I know offers townhouses. They are built by Courtland Homes - it is worth checking out, they look really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I know this has been asked many times in different ways but not with the same specifics. I'm considering taking a new job in the Arlington area and trying to find a suitable place to live. The top priorities are low crime, best possible schools nearby (2 kids 8 and 11), reasonable commute (I'm thinking this means walking distance to metro or rail), pedestrian/bike friendly. Could probably handle up to $600K and willing to consider townhouse. We currently have a 3K square foot house and would like to avoid downsizing but willing to for the above given the realities of the DC area. We've gotten used to a great charter school and are fortunate to have kids in accelerated programs so want to make sure the school needs are met. We're currently in Florida and have not been to DC. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or