U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 PM

2,682 posts, read 6,244,611 times

Advertisements

Obama did say when he was speaking of "that" it was meant as infrastructure like roads and bridges. Would this not fit the bill? Anyways I wasn't laying this on the feet of the Dems, McDonnell and Corey Stewart both support it and I'm opposed. I was just conveniently using recent rhetoric to spice things up.

It's one thing to have the Dulles Toll road that was built entirely by private funds. It's another thing to tie into in place architecture that was built by public tax money, then have the gall to charge the residents to drive on it. We're getting double-charged for the privilege of driving on this road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,688,340 times
I don't like HOT lanes either but the reality is no state politicians have the guts to actually fund transportation so I guess we dont have much of a choice. It also benefits general lanes users because more cars are out of the general lanes. I would be very excited if two hot lanes go built on I-66 as two general lanes on the busiest part of the highway is ridiculous.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM

108 posts, read 177,792 times
I know this thread has been idle for a while, but I'd like to pose a question -- especially to folks who utilize 95 on a regular basis. Do you think the HOT lane extension to Garrisonville will alleviate the choke point currently at Dumfries, or simply shift the choke point from Dumfries south to Garrisonville? Personally, I don't see how the overall traffic flow would truly improve unless the HOT lanes were extended beyond Route 3 in Fredericksburg.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM

939 posts, read 1,605,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Prime View Post
I know this thread has been idle for a while, but I'd like to pose a question -- especially to folks who utilize 95 on a regular basis. Do you think the HOT lane extension to Garrisonville will alleviate the choke point currently at Dumfries, or simply shift the choke point from Dumfries south to Garrisonville? Personally, I don't see how the overall traffic flow would truly improve unless the HOT lanes were extended beyond Route 3 in Fredericksburg.
Until the lanes extend a few miles south of fredericksburg, there will always be the choke point. Even then, people will figure out they commute won't be so bad, so south of fredericksburg will eventually become a suburb of DC and that would be a choke point. At that point, I'll tell you south of Richmond. In reality, the lanes should go south of Fredericksburg, and at least some VRE trains should start out in Richmond.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM

108 posts, read 177,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Until the lanes extend a few miles south of fredericksburg, there will always be the choke point. Even then, people will figure out they commute won't be so bad, so south of fredericksburg will eventually become a suburb of DC and that would be a choke point. At that point, I'll tell you south of Richmond. In reality, the lanes should go south of Fredericksburg, and at least some VRE trains should start out in Richmond.
As for VRE -- maybe not starting in Richmond per se -- but at least somewhere between Bowling Green and Fredericksburg that enjoys better access to and from 95 than the Fredericksburg station.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM

999 posts, read 1,434,566 times
The more I think about the project, the more I think it was a bad idea, at least for this corridor. Currently the center HOV lanes open up to non-HOV traffic outside of rush hour and allow extra capacity during the weekends, especially for summer travelers.

So....what happens, when those lanes become restricted 24/7 and thru traffic from out of town is forced to use the main lanes because they don't have an EZ-Pass? What happens to all the non-HOV traffic at Edsall Road? Will the express lanes clog up because SOV toll traffic will be forced to exit?

The 95 express lanes are different than the 495 ones, because the one's on the beltway added capacity to the highway, but in a way this seems to be taking away or restricting the current HOV lanes for people who don't have an EZ-Pass. The only thing this project is doing is just extending the current lanes and not really adding capacity. Traffic will get worse before it gets better. I definitely think that this isn't very good idea.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM

8,775 posts, read 10,681,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post

So....what happens, when those lanes become restricted 24/7 and thru traffic from out of town is forced to use the main lanes because they don't have an EZ-Pass?
I presume you mean out of town traffic from points south who go only to DC.

It boggles my mind that anyone who drives northeast from DC regularly does not have an EZ pass.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM

13,039 posts, read 19,873,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I presume you mean out of town traffic from points south who go only to DC.

It boggles my mind that anyone who drives northeast from DC regularly does not have an EZ pass.
Why? There's plenty of free ways to get around. Why pay when you don't have to?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM

437 posts, read 1,072,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
The more I think about the project, the more I think it was a bad idea, at least for this corridor. Currently the center HOV lanes open up to non-HOV traffic outside of rush hour and allow extra capacity during the weekends, especially for summer travelers.

So....what happens, when those lanes become restricted 24/7 and thru traffic from out of town is forced to use the main lanes because they don't have an EZ-Pass? What happens to all the non-HOV traffic at Edsall Road? Will the express lanes clog up because SOV toll traffic will be forced to exit?
I've thought this would be a problem since the project was announced. If I had to commute through that corridor every day I'd like the 95 Hot Lanes idea even less than I do as someone who occasionally uses those roads.

I'm just glad the inside-the-beltway jurisdictions aren't allowing this foolishness on 66 or 395. At least on those highways one can still take HOV off hours and that can help a lot with non-rush hour overflow. And having bottlenecks before traffic reaches 395 and 66 doesn't hurt me either since I can get on inside the beltway. No one seems to realize those bottlenecks are inevitable on the way into town, you aren't going to get 10 lanes of highway down 14th Street.

I think anyone that opts for the monster-sized house in Fredericksburg instead of a smaller one in Springfield knows that their commute is going to suck. That's the deal around here. And to expect the closer-in suburbs to have to feel the pain on the exurbs' behalf is not necessarily reasonable (especially with all those Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax dollars already disappearing into Spotsylvania, Orange and who knows where else as Tysons Engineer points out).

Last edited by bornindc; 03-29-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM

939 posts, read 1,605,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post

I think anyone that opts for the monster-sized house in Fredericksburg instead of a smaller one in Springfield knows that their commute is going to suck. That's the deal around here. And to expect the closer-in suburbs to have to feel the pain on the exurbs' behalf is not necessarily reasonable (especially with all those Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax dollars already disappearing into Spotsylvania, Orange and who knows where else as Tysons Engineer points out).
Good point. My 2 bedroom condo's price in Alexandria would have purchased me a pretty huge McMansion in points south, but I'd rather not have a horrible commute (it's still a decent commute to some parts in DC via metro). So why should I be punished because Terry and Dick want to drive their Navigator on the HOT lanes all the way to DC from Stafford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia