U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 AM

11 posts, read 40,961 times

Advertisements

One position is with a mid size company (5k employees) managing a couple teams in Charleston, SC. Benefits are par. Pay is $115k. The other is for a Big 4 company (Deloitte) doing similar work in the Northern Virginia area for which I used to work. Great benefits making $125k. Obviously quality-of-life and cost of living is a factor, although it's not cheap to live in Charleston...just cheaper. I would be relocating in both cases. I'm not sure which direction to go and just trying to find consensus. My wife doesn't work and stays home with my two young sons. 1 set of Grandparents live in Northern Virginia (8 hours from Charleston). The other set live in Radford, VA (6 hours from Charleston, 4 hrs from Northern Virginia).

Only other note is both of these jobs are tied to the federal work space. Any constructive opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,840,551 times
There are so many people moving here these days. If it's an even choice, I say why not march to the beat of a different drummer--go for Charleston.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 AM

939 posts, read 1,605,403 times
I've never been to charleston, but if the company and your position would be stable there, I would definitely choose it. 10K will mean very little in the long run, and Charleston isn't just a little bit cheaper, it's a whole world of difference. Would you be working in Tysons for Deloitte, or DC proper? If you're not prepared for a 45-60 minute commute, you won't find a nice house for under 500k, except to pay more than that for a nice townhome somewhere near Tysons, and way more than that for anything nice closer to DC.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,557,873 times
Deloitte has more options than just Tysons or DC. My husband works in their Duke Street office in Old Town, and several good friends are in the Rosslyn office. Yet another has worked on client site in Reston for 3 years.

OP, if you have questions about the work culture or experience as a Deloitte employee, feel free to PM me. I'll pass the questions along to my husband.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM

799 posts, read 1,128,615 times
To me, having my kids close to grandparents might make all the difference. And being in DC as opposed to Charleston will be better for your career. That said, I know Charleston well. Your pay is excellent for the region. I have lots of family there. It's a great city. The pace is relaxed. In my opinion, the quality of life would be dramatically better in Charleston. From the perspective of the stay-at-home parent, I'd pick Charleston over NOVA without concern.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,702 times
I suppose it doesn't really answer your question, but congratulations on your successful job search. Having two offers to decide between is a real plus. If the grandparents are a real concern, I'd be tempted to take the Nova position to be closer to them, but otherwise, I don't know. You probably won't deal with nearly as bad traffic or housing prices in SC.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,755,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izspapa View Post
One position is with a mid size company (5k employees) managing a couple teams in Charleston, SC. Benefits are par. Pay is $115k. The other is for a Big 4 company (Deloitte) doing similar work in the Northern Virginia area for which I used to work. Great benefits making $125k. Obviously quality-of-life and cost of living is a factor, although it's not cheap to live in Charleston...just cheaper. I would be relocating in both cases. I'm not sure which direction to go and just trying to find consensus. My wife doesn't work and stays home with my two young sons. 1 set of Grandparents live in Northern Virginia (8 hours from Charleston). The other set live in Radford, VA (6 hours from Charleston, 4 hrs from Northern Virginia).

Only other note is both of these jobs are tied to the federal work space. Any constructive opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Sounds like a great choice to have - two good salaries in two decent places to live. It's mostly your personal preference. Salary-wise, I know 125 won't go as far here as 115 in SC, but I still think it's a good salary that you and your wife can live on without her working. I also think that while being close to grandparents is a personal preference (as a mom, mine would be for sure to be near the grandparents), but to add a practical aspect, consider the cost and difficulty of caring for aging parents from a great distance. It's much easier for everyone to have them nearby than to have to relocate much later, when they are sick. And of course, should you need it, there are probably more job opportunities here than in SC.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM

162 posts, read 304,929 times
I'd go to SC in a second. Will the grandparents be staying in the area? If they plan to leave the area in the next couple years, I wouldn't let that be a factor.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM

98 posts, read 161,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izspapa View Post

Thanks!
I'm not going to tell you what life decisions to make but the Deloitte job is a no brainer...here's why

- More Money
- Both set of Grand Parents in Virginia
- More Money $
- Stable Job Market in DC Area
- More Money $$
- Virgina Schools (for the kids) are Superior to South Carolina's
- More Money $$$

Fairfax County should be a perfect place for you and your family if you decide to move to the area. I'm curious to know though...how old are you and what field are you in?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,848,555 times
I've been in NOVA since 73 and would move away from here in a minute if I could find a job in my field. Not that I would just move anywhere but this place has lost all appeal to me. Before making a final decision I would visit both places and try driving around during rush hour. I guarantee after visiting here you'll take the other job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or