Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wood87 View Post
As a recent college grad, that is very discouraging. I work in private sector now but would like to eventually move over to Government but it seems unlikely for someone like me.
Same here. It seems like the best chance to improve the odds would be to do 4 years in the military. That simply ain't an option for me right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
The best way to improve your odds is to figure out which agency you ultimately want to work for. Figure out what they do and find their contractor support. Get a job with the contractor as an entry level person. That will get your foot in the door and give you the experience you need to apply.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,210 times
Well, it's been two weeks today since the interview, and I haven't heard anything one way or the other. Do they usually inform everyone at this stage if they were hired or not, or will they not contact you if you aren't selected and leave it up to you to figure out?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Well, it's been two weeks today since the interview, and I haven't heard anything one way or the other. Do they usually inform everyone at this stage if they were hired or not, or will they not contact you if you aren't selected and leave it up to you to figure out?

If the automatic notifications through USAJobs are "working" then you will get a notice (if you've elected to receive notices) that you were not selected. If it isn't working and you are relying on a phonecall for notification, that's probably not going to happen. Only the person selected will be notified by HR. Two weeks isn't really outside the norm, though, for waiting. They have to go through all their interviews, then the interview panel will convene after they are done and prepare their submission package. This is turned over to the selecting official who makes the selection. That package is then forwarded to the HR person and they do their "thing" to it which could take 1-2 days or more than a week depending on their efficiency. They will then call you and make an offer.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,210 times
Three weeks now and still haven't recieved either a phone call, nor has the status in USAJobs been updated to inform me that I haven't been selected, which is worth noting because they've been pretty good about updating it during the early steps.

What I find interesting is that this same agency has opened up two new job postings for the same type of position I interviewed for, but at lower grade levels. Grade levels I've already exceeded. Not sure what to make of that, but I'll hold out hope until I get a notice of non-selection. Other than that, on to the next applications.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Three weeks now and still haven't recieved either a phone call, nor has the status in USAJobs been updated to inform me that I haven't been selected, which is worth noting because they've been pretty good about updating it during the early steps.

What I find interesting is that this same agency has opened up two new job postings for the same type of position I interviewed for, but at lower grade levels. Grade levels I've already exceeded. Not sure what to make of that, but I'll hold out hope until I get a notice of non-selection. Other than that, on to the next applications.

Who can figure out the notification system.

This summer, I interviewed for a position (I'm already in the government). I was notified every step of the way. I was offered the job but I declined it. I even got a notification on that and it stated that I was offered the position and declined. It was definitely the automated process.

Recently, I interviewed for a position in my own office. I have not yet received ONE notification regarding this position even though I made the cert, was interviewed, and I was selected (and have accepted). This is the same HR agency doing it all. I don't understand.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
Here are the steps.....I was selected also waiting on God first, and a decision from OPM second. Hope this helps. God Bless!

OPM Hiring Process Model

This timeline tool presents the recommended number of days for each step in the hiring process. Then it prompts you to insert the number of days your department and agency takes to complete each of those steps. At the end, you’re asked to compare the length of your process with the recommended length, and identify the three steps that deviate the most from the ideal.

Step 1: Request Approval to Fill Vacancy

Maximum number of days: 2

The process begins when a vacancy is identified. This vacancy can be the result of:

Incumbent changing to a new job
Retirement
Workforce analysis that identifies the need for a new position
The selecting official then requests approval to fill the vacancy. This step should take no more than 1 day. Approval of the request should take no more than 1 day. The total is 2 days. If the request is denied, the process ends.

Helpful Hints for improved timeliness:

Eliminate this step by having an annual Staffing Plan as part of the Human Capital Plan. Agency Heads/Element Heads/Department Heads determine both composition and size of the workforce according to annual budget. Position fill requests in accordance with an approved HC plan do not need additional approval. Operational HR offices are fully familiar with the Workforce Plan and are prepared to act upon notification of the vacancy.

Step 2: Review Workforce Analysis and Understand Skill Gaps

Maximum number of days: 1

The selecting official and HR practitioner review the workforce analysis and identify any skill gaps for the position. As part of this step, the position should be classified and method of recruitment identified. The selecting official and HR practitioner determine the process to use for recruitment - merit promotion and/or competitive examining. This step should take no more than 1 day.

Helpful Hint for improved timeliness:

Use preclassified position descriptions for mission-critical occupations or frequently filled infrastructure or administrative jobs. Such as budget, HR, contracting or program support. Career Pattern discussion is appropriate at this time. This step should not take more than 1 day.

Step 3: Review Position Description for Alignment with Organizational Mission and Job Requirements

The selecting official and HR practitioner review the position description for alignment with the organization’s mission and job requirements. This step should take no more than 1 day.

Update Workforce Plan and Organizational Staffing Plan annually. Operational HR practitioners are consulted and briefed on the objectives of the organizations they service. Standard and preclassified position descriptions validated during updates to ensure accuracy and alignment.

Step 4: Conduct Job Analysis

Maximum number of days: 3

The selecting official and HR practitioner conduct a job analysis to identify the knowledge/skills/abilities (KSAs) and competencies associated with the vacancy. This step should take no more than 3 days.

Develop job analysis library covering all mission-critical occupations, frequently filled positions, such as standard administrative and infrastructure support positions. Validate job analysis annually during review of Staffing Plan.

Step 5: Create Candidate Assessment Tool

The selecting official and HR practitioner select an assessment tool for screening candidates. The assessment tool may include:

Crediting plan
Structured interview
Written test
Panel
Subject Matter Experts
This step should take no more than 2 days.

Crediting plans and interview questions are developed as part of the job analysis library for mission-critical occupations, frequently filled jobs, administrative, and infrastructure positions. The HR Practitioner should be proactively engaged with selecting official during the period before the announcement is posted and be involved in the development of the annual Staffing Plan.

Note: Steps 1-5 can all be done on the same day if all the preliminary work is done. Read all comments at each step.

Step 6: Choose Ranking Method

The selecting official and HR practitioner determine the process to use for recruitment - merit promotion and/or competitive examining. If public notice, decide whether to use category ranking or rule of three. Career Pattern discussion is appropriate at this time.

This step should take no more than 1 day.

Step 7: Draft and Approve Vacancy Announcement

The selecting official and HR practitioner draft and obtain approval for the vacancy announcement. This step should take no more than 2 days.

Use job announcement templates and standard language for frequently filled positions or mission-critical occupations. Use job analysis and crediting plan criteria to populate announcement template. Avoid lengthy lists of assessment questions. Use 4 or 5 relevant questions that correspond to crediting plan. Narrative responses provide information most easily validated for qualifications.

Step 8: Post Vacancy Announcement

The vacancy announcement is posted. This step should take no more than 1 day.

OPTIMAL TIME FRAMES - Helpful Hint for improved timeliness on steps 1-7:

The processes described above can be completed in 12 business days. As HR offices become more strategic and participate in developing the Workforce Plans and the annual Staffing Plans, they can shorten the time between vacancy request and announcement to 3 – 5 days.

Step 9: Perform Applicant Intake

No specific number of days recommended

Consistent with legal requirements, the nature of the position and the competency need determine the period of time a vacancy remains open. Agencies engage in outreach and other targeted recruitment during this period and should consider advertising deadlines, travel time, and staff resources needed to promote the job to suitable audiences.

Step 10: Close Vacancy Announcement

The closing date for a vacancy announcement is the cut-off point for applications. In some cases, veterans may apply after the closing date (see the OPM Delegated Examining Operations Handbook for more details). Agencies notify applicants to acknowledge receipt of their applications. This step should take no more than 1 day.

Step 11: Screen Applicants for Minimum Qualifications/Selective Factors

Maximum number of days: 5 (Based on OPM’s 45-day model)

This is the first of an 8-step priority period that includes OPM's 45-day model for filling a position. During this step, HR professionals screen applicants for minimum qualifications and other selection factors. This step should take no more than 5 days.

The HR Practitioner can cut days off this process by screening applications prior to announcement closing so that the panel can be held within a day or two of closing.

Step 12: Rate Qualified Applicants

HR professionals or a panel of subject matter experts evaluate qualified applicants in accordance with the assessment method(s) selected in Step 5. This step should take no more than 5 days.

If a panel is used, schedule the panel before the vacancy posts and obtain commitment from all members to hold the panel within 2 days of closing.

Step 13: Apply Veterans’ Preference, Rank Qualified Candidates, and Deliver Certificate(s)

The HR professional applies veterans’ preference, ranks the qualified candidates, and delivers certificates. Applicants are then notified of their status. This step can be done in 3 days, but should not take more than 5 days.

Step 14: Review Applications

The selecting official reviews the applications and selects the candidate(s) to interview. This step should take 5 days.

Step 15: Schedule and Conduct Interviews

Maximum number of days: 15 (Based on OPM’s 45-day model)

The selecting official schedules and conducts interviews with the identified candidates. This step should take no more than 15 days.

Step 16: Check References

An HR practitioner or designee confirms the interviewed candidates’ references. This step should take no more than 5 days. Applicants are then notified of their status.

References can and should be checked by the selecting officials during the interview process.

Step 17: Make Selection(s) and Return Certificate(s)

Maximum number of days: 2 (Based on OPM’s 45-day model)

The selecting official makes selections and returns certificates. This step can be done in 1 day, but should not take more than 2 days.

Step 18: Extend Job Offer(s)

Maximum number of days: 3 (Based on OPM’s 45-day model)

An HR practitioner extends a job offer to the selected candidate. If the candidate accepts, all other candidates are notified. This step can be done in 2 days, but should not take more than 3 days.

Step 19: Conduct Background Check

No specific number of days recommended.

An HR Practioner or designee conducts a background check on the candidate who accepts a job offer. Depending on the job, this step requires a variable amount of time. After this step is completed, a firm job offer can be made and a start date arranged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia