U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,122 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved in to Alexandria couple of months back.Registered my vehicle to my new address.Just yesterday I got a Parking Ticket Courtesy Notice about a parking ticket issued to me couple of weeks back saying "Failure to Display City/County Vehicle Tag" with violation code "10-4-37'.
The date and time the ticket was issued, I'm pretty sure the car was parked in my resident parking.I also have the resident parking permit sticker on.
I can't figure out why I got this ticket.Also I never found a parking ticket on my windshield nor had I received an earlier notice.Now they are saying deadline to contest the ticket has passed.
When I looked online searching for this violation code, it mentioned something about decal sticker for city of alexandria that needs to be purchased.Weird, never had to use it before.
I have the resident's parking permit sticker on the windshield.Is that not enough.

Any advise would be helpful.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 PM

1,950 posts, read 5,302,639 times
No, it's not enough. Your resident parking tag has nothing to do with registering your car with your county/city for personal property taxes. Did you just move to Virginia?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 PM

1,950 posts, read 5,302,639 times
Personal Property (Vehicle) Tax | Finance | City of Alexandria, VA

Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 PM

373 posts, read 714,905 times
Alexandria has gotten really strict about that. A couple of years ago, my HOA sent out notices that enforcement of city stickers was going to begin in the off-street parking lots. I see police cruisers patrolling my neighborhood at night -- and yup, even the off-street condo parking that they used to ignore. Last week two cars parked on my cul-de-sac got tickets. On the bright side, the City of Alexandria is a pleasant place to live, so I guess the revenue is being put to good use :-).

Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 PM

@tamitrail: Nope, I used to live in fairfax before and my car was registered to fairfax county,VA.I changed it to alexandria once I moved here..
@seiketsu: I understand having the city stickers for off-street parking.But I park at my residential parking lot with a resident parking tag.Just confused if I need the decal sticker/city sticker etc for that too..

Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 PM

373 posts, read 714,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnau View Post
@seiketsu: I understand having the city stickers for off-street parking.But I park at my residential parking lot with a resident parking tag.Just confused if I need the decal sticker/city sticker etc for that too..
Residential lot = off-street parking.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Oops..sorry my bad...

Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
How would they know I wasn't a Fairfax County resident? We don't have county stickers on our cars. I didn't realize they hadn't done away with personal property tax stickers in Alexandria.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 AM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnau View Post
I understand having the city stickers for off-street parking.But I park at my residential parking lot with a resident parking tag.Just confused if I need the decal sticker/city sticker etc for that too..
Personal property stickers have nothing to do with where you park your car. It's an indicator that you have paid your property taxes on the car for the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How would they know I wasn't a Fairfax County resident? We don't have county stickers on our cars. I didn't realize they hadn't done away with personal property tax stickers in Alexandria.
They know because they run your plates and see where you have registered the car.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 AM

206 posts, read 380,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
We still have stickers here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia