U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:01 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Satay Sarinah in on S. Van Dorn in Alexandria for Malaysian -- can't advise on it's strengths or weaknesses..
I've eaten there several times and it's excellent but it's Indonesian, not Malaysian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,830,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've eaten there several times and it's excellent but it's Indonesian, not Malaysian.
My apologies. I mis-remembered

Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 PM

97 posts, read 162,205 times
Not to be Pessimistic Pete, but I think this question is a bit backwards. NoVA is missing nearly everything, BUT what they DO have:

1. Vietnamese Pho
2. Brazillian Churrascarias
3. Barely edible Chinese restaurants
4. Steak houses
5. Hundreds of TGIF/Bennigans/Applebees/American Cafe/Variants
6. A sprinkling of good BBQ restaurants, but also many bad chains
7. Bob Evans
8. Other big chains with illegals for cooks and teenagers for waitstaff
9. Pizza-ish places
10. Sushi, usually bland
11. Bagels
12. Fast food

What's missing? Everything else.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM

448 posts, read 739,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInMA View Post
Not to be Pessimistic Pete, but I think this question is a bit backwards. NoVA is missing nearly everything, BUT what they DO have:

1. Vietnamese Pho
2. Brazillian Churrascarias
3. Barely edible Chinese restaurants
4. Steak houses
5. Hundreds of TGIF/Bennigans/Applebees/American Cafe/Variants
6. A sprinkling of good BBQ restaurants, but also many bad chains
7. Bob Evans
8. Other big chains with illegals for cooks and teenagers for waitstaff
9. Pizza-ish places
10. Sushi, usually bland
11. Bagels
12. Fast food

What's missing? Everything else.
You forgot the many burger spots (Elevation, Red Robin, Five Guys, Fuddruckers, et al). On a serious note, there are some decent Peruvian chicken spots in the area as well...

Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 PM

12,841 posts, read 6,163,208 times
KeninMA---There are some good Chinese restaurants in NoVA. You just have to know where to look. The same goes for sushi.

When you said "A sprinkling of good BBQ restaurants" --- which places do you like for BBQ here in NoVA?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 PM

12,841 posts, read 6,163,208 times
m1v311 --- In the late 90s, there was a Puerto Rican restaurant in Hyattsville---a real mom and pop place. The wife, who was Puerto Rican, cooked the food while the husband, who was Dominican, handled the front of the house. The food was great---true comida criolla. However, my gut feeling told me that it wouldn't last long---and sadly, I was right. While there are Puerto Ricans in the DVM, obviously there are not enough to support a good PR restaurant plus, many people are unfamiliar with the cuisine and don't venture out to try it --- and that's a shame.

As for Cuban food---I agree with you there. I've yet to find an authentic Cuban sandwich in NoVA! Has anyone found one? Please pass along the info.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM

97 posts, read 162,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
KeninMA---There are some good Chinese restaurants in NoVA. You just have to know where to look. The same goes for sushi.

When you said "A sprinkling of good BBQ restaurants" --- which places do you like for BBQ here in NoVA?
I looked all over for good Chinese -- it's a weakness I have. The best place I found was Cheng's in Sterling on 7, and compared to the deliciousness we can find here in MA, it's pretty bad. Before we moved down there in 06, we loved sushi. I tried it at probably a dozen places in Virginia and never found anything worth returning to. It was all sorta the same: bland, expensive, limited choices. We moved back to MA and I now don't really like sushi. NoVA killed my sushi like. I'm curious where you found good places.

Re good BBQ: Carolina Brothers in Ashburn is pretty awesome. Believe it or not, American Cafe in Herndon has (had) some fantastic ribs a couple times I went. Although I did go there another time and they were TERRIBLE (old, dried out; leather on bone). I also went another place, but can't remember the name. Smallish place in Chantilly. Willy's, maybe? It was very good. Other than that, Blues Brothers, Red Hot & Blue, and there's another (name escapes me) -- all garbage.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:33 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,607,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
As for Cuban food---I agree with you there. I've yet to find an authentic Cuban sandwich in NoVA! Has anyone found one? Please pass along the info.
There used to be a very good Cuban family restaurant in Clarendon, La Cantinita, and they had to close after 9-11.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
I'm not aware of any place that serves a great beef dip sandwich as was invented at this place:

Philippe the Original | Home of the French Dip Sandwich

Anyone who reproduced that here would make bank. I've also not seen any burrito delivery operations around here. In fact home delivery of any Mexican food seems to be missing from this area.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 PM

448 posts, read 739,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInMA View Post
I looked all over for good Chinese -- it's a weakness I have.
If you like Chinese food, then you absolutely must visit the Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church. Don't be fooled by the location. It is awesome! Many dignitaries and diplomats regularly stop through to eat and it was one of Bush, Sr's favorite places to eat when he was in the White House. When you enter, you will see pictures of him along with others such as Colin Powell and General Norman Schwarzkopf with their families when they came to have dinner there. It is a little pricey, but well worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia