U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times

Advertisements

an interesting article for those concerned with issues of pedestrian friendliness/walkability (I increasingly prefer the former term, as the latter is treated by some as a binary)

Can We Quantify a Good Walk? - Design - The Atlantic Cities

note there is at least one on topic reference to Alexandria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Hasn't this topic been beaten to death?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I wanted to bring to the forum some of the current discussion in the planning profession - rather than simply my personal opinion.

With continued movement in the region on transit, redevelopment, I thought it might be relevant.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Amen. Beaten to death, and then beaten to a second death, and then beaten some more. If you run a search on this forum for the word "walkability" you get a list of 305 threads. The last several times the subject has come up I've taken to going into older threads and just cutting and pasting my replies because it gets old to say the same things over and over. C'mon guys, how about a new subject? And if you're new to our forum and want to read detailed discussions on this issue, here are a few of the many, many threads that have covered this.

NYTimes: Walkable neighborhoods in NoVA (and elsewhere) more valuable

Walkable, pedestrian-friendly parts of NOVA?

"More homebuyers want walkable, transit-served communities"

Pedestrians in one spot in NoVa - some empirical data

Areas in NOVA (or MD) that are pedestrian-friendly

what does "walkability" mean to you? (in NOVA-DC region)

Impressions of NoVA/Metro DC...(so far)

Where in NoVa would you point two empty nesters who like urban/walkable/quaint

Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Young hipsters, old liberals, too many tourists, and high prices.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM

this forum has had, I think, more discussions of fast food, of home repair,of the importance or not of high test scores for evaluating schools, and of driving directions than of pedestrian friendliness. I don't think anyone has attempted to censor further discussions of those, nor should they.

Some of the ones cited above are specific searches for places to live. I don't see how they respond to this issue.

One that did address the issue extensively, got all caught up in side issues, including different philosophies of dictionary writing. This is an attempt to take a different tack, by indicating how these issues are being thought about by architects, planners, and people concerned with increasing the actual number of walkers.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
C'mon guys, how about a new subject? And if you're new to our forum and want to read detailed discussions on this issue, here are a few of the many, many threads that have covered this.

This is what I am interested in discusing. There are dozens of threads here of no interest to me. I do NOT enter them to complain about them, I just skip them.

If you truely want this to be a forum for all NoVans, to discuss things of relevance and interest to any NoVan, it does not seem proper to limit the number of threads on certain topics.

"The last several times the subject has come up I've taken to going into older threads and just cutting and pasting my replies because it gets old to say the same things over and over."

If you actually read the linked article, you will see this is material that we have not discussed before. You need not say the same things over and over, you could say something different. If you have nothing to new to add, you are of course free to not say anything.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 08-06-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
There are indeed numerous threads on numerous topics here. Members can be most helpful to each other by offering related links or otherwise responding constructively.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Well, I hope this thread has something new to say about walking in northern VA. Just letting you know that if this turns into the same old tired claim that people don't walk in the outer suburbs, I'm going to post the same old tired replies I post every time showing that they do. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Well, I hope this thread has something new to say about walking in northern VA. Just letting you know that if this turns into the same old tired claim that people don't walk in the outer suburbs, I'm going to post the same replies I posted last time showing that they do. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Read it. There is no mention of outer vs inner. There is discussion of the specific charecteristics that make people inclined to walk FURTHER. And the author of the piece specifically suggests that while the charecteristics listed sound plausible, it would be better to find a way to empirically verify using data.

The only sources of data for inner vs outer places in this region are the census data on journey to work, and some survey data from MWCOG - the latter had the advantage of looking at all journeys, not just commutes, but the disadvantage of looking only at a few select neighborhoods, not entire counties. I know of no other published data available.

If you are curious what these data sources say, I can try to dig them up again. They certainly do NOT say that ZERO people walk in the outer suburbs. The census Journey to Work number for walking, for LoCo, was NOT zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia