U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 PM

209 posts, read 531,700 times

Advertisements

Yep the diversity and the progressive thought around here is awesome. People are so well-educated and professional.

The only thing is the commute. It's going to be a little rough for your husband. Sometimes it takes me well over an hour just to go 12 miles to my work, and you have MUCH further to go. Not to mention most of GT and downtown DC is only two lanes each way, which just makes it worse. And parking. Maybe you could live closer in so that he can take the metro. There are some absolutely charming places in Arlington and Alexandria, and suprisingly "affordable" for the area. It would be metro-able for him. Right now, you're looking at at least two or three hours EACH WAY, every weekday. The money you save on rent is going to be totally negated by your gas and wear/tear on your car.

You've got to see it to believe it. There's a reason we have the 2nd worse traffic in the country, after LA. Horrendous. Live as close to work as possible, because it's not about mileage, it's about TIME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 PM

555 posts, read 2,433,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quell View Post
My husband has decided to move to Leesburg(20175) and I wanted to get some information on the area. I know only 9% of the population is African-American and wanted to know how the racial tension is, if any within the area. I searched the local newspaper and didn't find anything that was too negative, so this sounds like a positive. How is the weather during winter time, I am a native Floridian so I know I will have to adjust.

My children will be zoned for Cool Springs Elementary so any info on the public school system, private schools, accessibility to top employers within the area, crime, churches and shops in the area would be helpful.

Also are there any hair salons that provide service for African-American hair in the area or what is the closest city to travel to?

How is the commute to Georgetown-DC from Leesburg at 7am and returning at 5:30pm

Thanks for your response.
The only racial tension i know of is the whole illegal/legal thing going on. I've never seen any black/white tension in that area. I've seen some black/hispanic tension in Prince William, but that's a story for another day...

Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,641,584 times
here's a judge for your commute....... Leesburg to Tysons during rush hour. An hour at best on good days. non rush hour...an easy 45 min. (use the toll...30 min)

So you still have to go over the bridge to get to Gerogetown. I'd say another 45min?

So on a good day......1-1/2 hour commute. Forget that when it snows (and snow even a "dusting" screws up traffic immensely) it took me 2 hours last year to get from Tysons to Leesburg (with only 1" of snow) Same goes for rain...

So, as long as you know what your in for Leesburg is a great family town. It has an old "hometown" feeling and my kids love it. We are gearing up for the Halloween Parade now.

Have you checked the Rockville area of MD? your husband could take the Metro in. Red line and switch to Orange/blue line to foggy bottom. Alot less streesful commute.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:34 AM

12 posts, read 89,026 times
Also take into account that the Toll Road HOV kicks in at 630 heading to DC. From there on out the traffic can get nuts.

I hike in from Leesburg to Mclean and leave by 530am... will be in Mclean by 6:00.

The early mornings stink but the roads are sooo much better!!

Best of luck

Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,910 times
Default Commute isn't that bad

I lived in beautiful Leesburg and commuted to Suitland, MD for 3 years. It's not that bad if you leave your home by 6:15 am. It took me about an hour in the morning and about an hour and 20 minutes home in the evening. It's worth it - Leesburg is both beautiful and diverse, and I wish I never moved away (coincidentally I moved to south Florida from Leesburg due to my husband's family issues - I hate it in Florida!)

Best of luck.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 PM

73 posts, read 428,020 times
Boy I am cutting and pasting like mad.

Western Loudoun County is lovely, but $$$ depending on how FAR West you go. South Eastern and Eastern can be iffy...neighborhood-wise. You can end up in an area you DO NOT want to live.

There are no bargains here. NONE. If the price is low the neighborhood is bad, period. OR too far out UNLESS like us you don't care about that. BUT traffic and commute ANYWHERE is a HUGE issue - not just to DC.

You need to "ride the ride" to the potential job three days in one week - say Monday, Tuesday, Thursday - to get a REAL feel for the issues. DON'T DO IT ON A WEEKEND and feel satisfied.

You also need to go out SHOPPING on a weekend and see that a trip to the grocery store, home depot and (let's say) Walmart or Kohl's consumes the ENTIRE day.

Just to get the feel for the area.

I would say 'rascism' exists of COURSE it is everywhere but is far less than in other areas of the country. We are a mixed family (Son and DIL are racially diverse and grandkids are mixed) and it works for us. Having a party at my house looks like the United Nations because so many couples are NOT 'of the same race' and the kids are totally 'scrambled'.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,691 times
commuting from Loudoun to the Key bridge is definitely a couple hours each way. If you have the means, I would definitely recommend moving closer to the city. In regards to any racial tension, you won't find much of that in the DC metro area. This is the best region for diversity and progressive thought! Also, with African-American stores, beauty shops, and shopping, you're not in the best area for such businesses (Loudoun and West Fairfax). You'll have to try closer in, like Alexandria/Arlington, etc...

Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,958,485 times
Lived in Leesburg area for a couple of years before that Alexandria and DC. To my knowledge there is no more of a racial problem there than anywhere. I am AA and had no problem at all.

I subbed in a number of schools in the area and saw no problem in the schools with the kids or the teachers.

The commute, well all I can say is you have my sympathy!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 PM

11 posts, read 18,239 times
Default commutes and family time

If your husband takes on that commute it will really cut into family time. Also, it's draining to be in harsh traffic (experiencing all the unfortunate behaviors that it brings out in some people) for so long each day, and he will likely get home exhausted, further impacting quality of life.

Even if you think he can time it right, there will be lots of things he can't do, like show up on time for afternoon or evening events.

If you've never experienced a long/congested commute for a period of weeks, at least, caution. It's a huge issue.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,183 times
Default Leessburg to DC Commute

I just moved to Leesburg (love it) and work just south of Dupont Circle in DC. I was taking -Vienna- Metro from previous two residences which was ok. Loudoun County has a commuter bus service that I personally find great -- better than metro rail. I don't mind buses though. It takes about 1 hr & 10 mins to get from Downtown Leesburg to my stop at 18th & K (Farragut West Metro Stop) including the 4 block walk to Dupont. --www.loudoun.gov/bus - I've attacked a PDF of the schedule as well.

I used to work in G'Town and with only local and Metro bus mass transit options... I think you'd have to get off the bus in Roslyn near the metro stop (not all buses go into Roslyn so be sure to check the schedule) and walk across the bridge or take the G'Town Commuter or Metro Bus from there.

Just across the river from Leesburg, in MD, there is a Commuter train that runs. I've never taken it, but know people who have and they love it. Just another option.

Basically, do what ever you can to avoid driving all the way downtown (or even to the edge where G'Town is).

best.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf leesburgtodcpen.pdf (66.6 KB, 272 views)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia