U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM

397 posts, read 280,231 times

Advertisements

I have a dilemma which I want to get some feedback on this board. I have a condo which I'm renting out. As of today, my tenants had moved out and my new tenants will move in within next couple of weeks. My dilemma is that the AC unit which I installed last year (from Nugent and Sons, see my gripe with them in my past posts) broke. Everything seems to work fine, both inside and outside units as they are new but the circuit board located at the top of the inside unit fried which resulted in fan not working. The coil still works as well as the refrigerant I think so there is ice buildling up both in the inside unit coil and joint of the outside unit.

The fried circuit board happened couple of weeks ago which I had the installer come out and I had to pay few hundred bucks for labor while the part was still under warranty. Then, few days ago, just before my tenant moved out, the exact same issue happened again. When the technician came out the second time, he thought maybe it was water leaking from the roof that leaked into the unit when the first time, he was guessing that it was the lightening that caused the circuit board to fry.

My relationship with the tenant turned sour as part of this. If it weren't for the broken AC, I think it would've been a lot easier for us to part ways and before this, it really wasn't that bad and everything would have been fine. But I think I got suspicious because a brand new AC circuit board gets fried twice in couple of weeks.

Absent their malicious behavior, what are the odds? Has anybody experienced a similar situation recently due to the storms whether the lightening or water causing the AC circuit board to fry? This really sucks this new unit is costing me $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM

5,075 posts, read 5,340,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
Absent their malicious behavior, what are the odds?
If you've not have any other trouble with your tenants and issues of damaging other aspects of your condo, I would lean towards them not being responsible for the damage to the AC unit. I would never do it but I imagine if I wanted to maliciously damange something, I would scratch a floor, stain the carpets, disable the fridge or garbage disposal. I would never think to fry the circuit board of the AC unit (I wouldn't even know how).

I'm no expert or electrician or anything of the nature but this is what I would consider:

1.) You could have a "lemon"
2.) The unit could be wired incorrectly
3.) The technician is correct in blaming the weather conditions (although, I would doubt this because outside units are made to be able to be out in the weather - all the outside units I've seen are uncovered and have been subjected to rain, snow, ice, heat, cold, etc.)

It will cost more money, but I would consider getting a second opinion. This might be a better question to post under the House or Real Estate Forum. You may get better answers from others in your type of situation.

Last edited by HokieFan; 08-07-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,631,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If you've not have any other trouble with your tenants and issues of damaging other aspects of your condo, I would lean towards them not being responsible for the damage to the AC unit. I would never do it but I imagine if I wanted to maliciously damange something, I would scratch a floor, stain the carpets, disable the fridge or garbage disposal. I would never think to fry the circuit board of the AC unit (I wouldn't even know how).
I 100% agree. If the air conditioning doesn't work, the tenants actually suffer as they sit in the heat. No one would purposely choose to sabatoge the AC.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,322,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I 100% agree. If the air conditioning doesn't work, the tenants actually suffer as they sit in the heat. No one would purposely choose to sabatoge the AC.
Your paranoia is getting the best of you. No one is going to sabotage a A/C unit and potentially start a fire that may kill them and destroy all of their property and risk the safety of their neighbors as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or