U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM

907 posts, read 2,911,449 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a park in Nova or D.C. or MD that an 11year old could use and not get bored? I was thinking of a park with any type of climbing structures or just something that is physically challenging for this age.

Fwiw, Clemyjontri park is great for my younger ones but I think most kids age out of this park by 8 or 9. Thanks for any leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,541,775 times
I think most 11 year olds have pretty much outgrown parks, period. 12 years old is middle school, and my students wouldn't be caught dead on a play ground. The only way to get them to run around is to put together some sort of organized sport or game.

Is he into skating as well (based on your username)?

Wakefield Skate Park

Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,602,974 times
I can't think of many playgrounds that would be fun for an 11 year old. Kings Park Park, 8717 Trafalgar Court in Springfield, has one of the tallest play structures I've seen in the Burke/Springfield/Fairfax area and a zip line. If he is into skating, Van Dyke Park in Fairfax also has a skate park. A place like Burke Lake Park also has a lot to offer because he can go bike riding, fishing, play miniature golf, fly a kite, etc.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM

664 posts, read 1,616,916 times
What about just going out and doing a regular hike? Prince William Forest national Park has miles of trails.

I have 4 kids between the ages of 6-12 we take them hiking there often.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 PM

8,540 posts, read 12,592,488 times
This zipline park is in Maryland. Our 6th graders go there every year for a field trip, and many scout troops go, too. Everyone loves it!

About The Adventure Park | The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring Friends School

Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM

518 posts, read 1,291,546 times
The old wooden playgrounds that were geared towards older kids were largely taken down one by one in the 90s. Some of those old playgrounds were massive and multi-level, but the insurance costs were very high.

Not many older kids today play on today's playground structures which are now aimed at very young kids. Organized sports and other activities have replaced "free play."

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,318,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
The old wooden playgrounds that were geared towards older kids were largely taken down one by one in the 90s. Some of those old playgrounds were massive and multi-level, but the insurance costs were very high.

Not many older kids today play on today's playground structures which are now aimed at very young kids. Organized sports and other activities have replaced "free play."
I remember those structures when I was growing up and actually was injured on one. It had a three story slide and some bigger kid went right after me and slammed into me. I ended up with a broken arm.

You only really see those at commercial theme parks like Busch Gardens or Sesame Place where they have employees monitoring the activity.

The park in Cabin John in Rockville has a tall structure as part of its playground, but it isn't that impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or